Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anybody even arsed with TWD anymore?

13»

Comments

I kinda gave up 2 episodes into last season is it worth a watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's more for the diehards now I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It's more for the diehards now I reckon.

:pac: We're all walkers now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

I am done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

893bet wrote:
    I am done with it.

#metoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I feel bad for the people who voted saying its still brilliant. Must have never seen any other tv show before

I would probably have been considered a die hard fan a while back. I loveddd season one and two, thought they were fantastic. I recall myself defending the show fiercely during the farm arc and the prison arc which I thought were still great. I don't even know what season it is right now, in my mind I can scarcely think of any important event or character introduction or development to distinguish any season or episode apart from one another since like the start of alexandria.
    Its just shockingly shockingly bad in every regard, its by far and away the worst 'popular' show on tv and I doubt theres any other show on television that observed such a drastic reduction in quality in terms of effects,direction, setting, script, plot and acting all at once

The last two episodes have had about 4-5 million less viewers than the average episode even just last season and I guess that sums it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I gave up just 3 episodes before the first half of this season ended. I havent missed it.

I thought I would but it feels like a chore to go through now.

I should not have to feel that way watching this. I used to love TWD.

Now I cant stick it. It's just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I gave up just 3 episodes before the first half of this season ended. I havent missed it.

I thought I would but it feels like a chore to go through now.

I should not have to feel that way watching this. I used to love TWD.

Now I cant stick it. It's just boring.

To me the show has been downgraded to background viewing while I'm doing other things where as before I would turn off everything shut curtains and focus on the show only.

I watched the recent episode while cleaning around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Stopped watching after episode 9 of this series. It's far too drawn out and splitting each series in two makes it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Haven't watched an episode since Honour.... any sign that it's improved since?

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Haven't watched an episode since Honour.... any sign that it's improved since?

I don't know what episode honour was but the last 3-4 episodes have been a lot better recently but still pretty poor and patchy in quality

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

don't record it anymore, haven't watched a full episode since it came back. They should just kill it off/wrap it up and be done with it before the ratings drop so low it'll be pulled from AMC anyway.

I loved the show but its gotten tiresome, repetitive and boring and the last few seasons have been awful but I kept watching in the belief that it'll get better...it got worse . . .:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

ShaneU wrote: »
    Stopped watching after episode 9 of this series. It's far too drawn out and splitting each series in two makes it worse.

Same for me. This show is so bad, I wouldn't even be bothered illegally downloading it. Perhaps that was the plan all along. Combat online piracy by making everything so terrible that the pirates are even bothered anymore :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think it's huge news that Gimple has been replaced as showrunner. I wouldn't be hugely surprised or disappointed if the new showrunner tried to walk-back the Carl bite thing in all honesty.

Maybe I've bought into the PR spin but it sounds like he got a promotion rather than ditched.

May God have mercy on us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Tried to watch an episode of the current series the other day and there was too much Carl in it so i couldn't watch it :/:) Even though he was only a kid, i always thought he was badly cast as Rick's son.

I think it's just run it course. What interested me at the start was the apocalypse. You relate to the shock of the characters because you can picture yourself in that situation but now thats sunk in, it's well into post apocalypse. Despite the writer's trying, not much is shocking anymore which was what the show heavily relied on.

Lorelli! wrote: »
    .......... What interested me at the start was the apocalypse. You relate to the shock of the characters because you can picture yourself in that situation but now thats sunk in,......

Yup........... personally once the bin people came along I was like WTF ........... and the nutter who loves his bat .......... and the crowd with the pet lion, like Jesus, come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

I watched up to the mid-season break. I have all the new episodes recorded, but I just can't be bothered watching anymore.

The mid-season break just did it for me, okay, it was supposed to be night-time, but I couldn't make anything out! Plus, it is getting harder and harder to make out the dialogue as it seems they are all whispering.

The thoughts of watching all the episodes that are recorded actually fills me with dread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Cupra280 wrote: »
    The thoughts of watching all the episodes that are recorded actually fills me with dread.

Just stick to watching short recaps. That should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

I must be the only one who enjoys how slow the show is. Its a completely different take on the zombie agenda where a cure is found and everyone is saved or they kill all the zombies. The walkers are a constant threat, yet the real danger is humans and societies regression. I have no idea where the story will go because its not something you can simply wrap up, there is no clean ending to a story such as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I must be the only one who enjoys how slow the show is. Its a completely different take on the zombie agenda where a cure is found and everyone is saved or they kill all the zombies. The walkers are a constant threat, yet the real danger is humans and societies regression. I have no idea where the story will go because its not something you can simply wrap up, there is no clean ending to a story such as this.
    I didnt give up on it just due to the slowness although that was possibly a small factor...

I had a number of reasons

when there was any set pieces (which seem to come at end of season break) they were generally horribly done - e.g. seemingly hundreds of bullets being fired with no one getting hit

the characters motivations are also all over the place and seem to change at the drop of a hat.

The garbage people.....are garbage.

I care about very few of the characters left on the show anymore.

Negan is IMO a really bad panto villain, the governor was much more layered and interesting.

I think they need to move on from the war with Negan asap but at this stage I think its too late to save the show given the absolute nose dive in ratings (and IMO quality). I have been there from season 1 but I am done now I am afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I must be the only one who enjoys how slow the show is. Its a completely different take on the zombie agenda where a cure is found and everyone is saved or they kill all the zombies.

Not really. It's just like the middle of a zombie film before they find a cure. Except it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on.

It's just the same repetitive drivel, season after season.

That is what the source material was all about it, it was literally like the writers ethos that the zombies are simply a backdrop and the characterisation and interaction is what the show is about, but that only works when its well written and the characters aren't sh!te, most of the dialogue is painful to listen to and I think most normal people on the street could write more interesting dialogue than that lot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I watched up to the mid-season break. I have all the new episodes recorded, but I just can't be bothered watching anymore.

The mid-season break just did it for me, okay, it was supposed to be night-time, but I couldn't make anything out! Plus, it is getting harder and harder to make out the dialogue as it seems they are all whispering.

I'm exactly the same, and I think we're not alone. Between season 3 & 7, (that is 80 episodes) there were 3 with US ratings less than 10 million. In season 8 they've all been less than 10 except the opener. That drop off is frankly astonishing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Stopped watching a while ago. Last thing I remember watching was some dumb **** about Carol living on her own and just throwing in the towel at how terrible the show is now. If I’m honest I think it started an ever so gradual and almost unnoticeable slide from the very first episode of series 2.

Anyway, I read an article online about spin-off shows and FTWD was mentioned as a show that has surpassed its origin show. I’m considering starting watching it. I’d love love to hear from actual FTWD fans whether it’s worth watching on its own merits or is it only relatively good when held up to comparison with the steaming heap of crap that the original is.

FTWD is a bit of an origin story, TWD obviously takes off from when Rick wakes up, whereas FTWD shows how the virus spread so quickly and why they were unable to contain it etc. Worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I watched the first two seasons of ftwd and thought it might be something different but it's essentially (as of then) just another show about following another group of survivors. I had thought it would explain how the virus came about and origins of it etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Just spoiler tagging my rant, dont read unless you've watched latest season, i havent actually watched it all myself, so i guess read it if you're like me and dont give a **** anymore lol
    The entire of season 7, after the first episode, was such a let down, i struggled to finish it, it was like everybody involved in the back end was fired and replaced with 15 year olds to run the show.

So when season 8 came around, for the first time ever since season 1, i wasnt watching the episode as quickly as possible on the Monday to avoid spoilers. I didnt give a ****, I actually only summed up the effort to try it out yesterday. And it was cringe from the get go, flipping back and forth between everybody, and it looks like they're executing some grand plan. And nothing happens, they go all the way up to Negans hide out, let him and his generals run back inside after some tiresome waffle and then just proceed to just shoot the walls of his building for 10 minutes, and then they just drive off?

While a group of ricks soldiers are attacking other outposts or something? I couldnt tell, it was a bunch of people i didnt recognise attacking another group of people i didnt recognise.. :confused:

And Daryl (god bless him hes such a wasted talent these days) was just driving around on his motorbike flare gunning barrels to make them explode to make the walkers follow him, which strangely they are able to do, they keep right on his heels in between each explosion you can see them right behind him... Hes driving 30miles an hour and they're limp walking.....and they keep right on his ass... And all he does is lead them up to Negans to loiter about outside.... THATS THE BIG PLAN??? W T F!!!! :confused:

Then i slap on episode two, i figure it cant get any worse.. IT DOES! Its just constant shooting from the get go, stopping every 2-3mins for someone to say some woeful sentence and then back to shooting..

I turned it off, i said **** it i dont care anymore and then immediately went to google and googled who dies in this season, i figure with all this constant shooting, a load of people have to die... One character of note ONE!!! And he ****ing shoots himself after getting bitten by a walker..

WTF AMC WTF!!

How the hell did they manage to **** it all up this bad?

Have AMC or anybody actually apologised for any of this? or are they just trying to play it cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Exact same. I've watched (and complained) every week but it's super rare for me to give up on a show. I tried watching the 1st ep after mid season break (the whole Carl thing) twice but turned it off after 15 minutes. Usually if an episode is boring, I check out my phone but this, I couldn't even keep it on the telly. It's gone atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

nix wrote: »
    Just spoiler tagging my rant, dont read unless you've watched latest season, i havent actually watched it all myself, so i guess read it if you're like me and dont give a **** anymore lol
    The entire of season 7, after the first episode, was such a let down, i struggled to finish it, it was like everybody involved in the back end was fired and replaced with 15 year olds to run the show.

So when season 8 came around, for the first time ever since season 1, i wasnt watching the episode as quickly as possible on the Monday to avoid spoilers. I didnt give a ****, I actually only summed up the effort to try it out yesterday. And it was cringe from the get go, flipping back and forth between everybody, and it looks like they're executing some grand plan. And nothing happens, they go all the way up to Negans hide out, let him and his generals run back inside after some tiresome waffle and then just proceed to just shoot the walls of his building for 10 minutes, and then they just drive off?

While a group of ricks soldiers are attacking other outposts or something? I couldnt tell, it was a bunch of people i didnt recognise attacking another group of people i didnt recognise.. :confused:

And Daryl (god bless him hes such a wasted talent these days) was just driving around on his motorbike flare gunning barrels to make them explode to make the walkers follow him, which strangely they are able to do, they keep right on his heels in between each explosion you can see them right behind him... Hes driving 30miles an hour and they're limp walking.....and they keep right on his ass... And all he does is lead them up to Negans to loiter about outside.... THATS THE BIG PLAN??? W T F!!!! :confused:

Then i slap on episode two, i figure it cant get any worse.. IT DOES! Its just constant shooting from the get go, stopping every 2-3mins for someone to say some woeful sentence and then back to shooting..

I turned it off, i said **** it i dont care anymore and then immediately went to google and googled who dies in this season, i figure with all this constant shooting, a load of people have to die... One character of note ONE!!! And he ****ing shoots himself after getting bitten by a walker..

WTF AMC WTF!!

How the hell did they manage to **** it all up this bad?

Have AMC or anybody actually apologised for any of this? or are they just trying to play it cool?
    Stopped at Daryl is a wasted talent - that guy is an awful actor. Go watch any Talking Dead episode... that's just him.

Stopped at Daryl is a wasted talent - that guy is an awful actor. Go watch any Talking Dead episode... that's just him.

Fair enough, same can be said about the majority of the cast though.. but my comment was more of how he was used up until recently. Hes barely given any screen time or lines anymore, when he was one of my fav characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

John_D80 wrote: »
    Anyway, I read an article online about spin-off shows and FTWD was mentioned as a show that has surpassed its origin show. I’m considering starting watching it. I’d love love to hear from actual FTWD fans whether it’s worth watching on its own merits or is it only relatively good when held up to comparison with the steaming heap of crap that the original is.

The first few episodes are okay but it fails to exploit the potential of telling a good story of the zombie plague and instead focuses on a single group with cliched (and mostly unlikeable) characters and situations. The webisodes of FTWD are, imo, better than the episodes.
    FTWD centres again on other humans as being the real danger and tells these stories. A wasted opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Gave up watching TWD with a few episodes left from the previous season to go I just couldn't take it anymore. The story telling was really bad and it seemed the show wasn't going anywhere and had no direction. I was burnt badly with Lost years ago and said never again. TWD is the new Lost.

As for FTWD I thought it was going to be a great opportunity for them to show how the virus broke out and how they tried to contain it - maybe show the reaction to it by the government and what they did in the earlier stages of it. No just after two episodes it was basically the TWD with different characters in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

neonman wrote: »
    Gave up watching TWD with a few episodes left from the previous season to go I just couldn't take it anymore. The story telling was really bad and it seemed the show wasn't going anywhere and had no direction. I was burnt badly with Lost years ago and said never again. TWD is the new Lost.

As for FTWD I thought it was going to be a great opportunity for them to show how the virus broke out and how they tried to contain it - maybe show the reaction to it by the government and what they did in the earlier stages of it. No just after two episodes it was basically the TWD with different characters in it.
    FTWD is uneven thats true....but i actually think it does some things a lot better than TWD, id give it more than two episodes

FTWD has lost me on its timeline.

I don't know how to do spoilers so can't expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

neonman wrote: »

We did see this. Remember the National Guard, the safe zone, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

We did see this. Remember the National Guard, the safe zone, etc?
    Yes, i remember the 1 to 1.5 episodes that touched on it without fleshing it out. One time the N.G. were there and then they weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There is no plausible explanation for how slow zombies overwhelm a country like the US (roughly 800,000 sworn law enforcement officers, 2.1 million active and reserve soldiers, and 300 million legally held firearms in the hands of private citizens) and also fits with the TWD setting. TWD took exactly the right course of action by having the protagonist unconscious during this implausible event. It doesn't stand up to close examination, so just move on past it to the main story. FTWD did the best it could in the constraints of what it had to work with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Sand wrote: »
    There is no plausible explanation for how slow zombies overwhelm a country like the US (roughly 800,000 sworn law enforcement officers, 2.1 million active and reserve soldiers, and 300 million legally held firearms in the hands of private citizens) and also fits with the TWD setting. TWD took exactly the right course of action by having the protagonist unconscious during this implausible event. It doesn't stand up to close examination, so just move on past it to the main story. FTWD did the best it could in the constraints of what it had to work with.
    Fair point. I think it would have been more plausible with the zombies from the likes of 28 Days Later (or the Day of the Dead remake).

I think FTWD is by far the superior show now and would prefer them to wrap up TWD as it has been out of ideas for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

nix wrote: »
    Fair enough, same can be said about the majority of the cast though.. but my comment was more of how he was used up until recently. Hes barely given any screen time or lines anymore, when he was one of my fav characters.
    Andrew Lincoln is a good actor tbf

aKzRmn3_700b.jpg

• Advertisement

I did say majority, not all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Sand wrote: »

In a world where you only become a zombie through a bite, yes, there is no plausible explanation. You set up a quarantine zone and take out the zombies . There are frontlines, the conflict is symmetrical, it's containable.

In walking deads world where everybody is a potential zombie if they die it's not so simple, an outbreak can start anywhere at anytime for the most mundane of reasons (old age, choking on a pretzel) stretching resources to their limits. It's asymmetrical and thus much more difficult to contain.

Kirkman went with the above to better explain how the world fell, as he obviously felt, like you did, that all previous zombie films had failed to adequately explain how slow moving zombies could overwhelm human civilisation.

I think his solution, while nihillistic(No happy ending, as long as there are human's there will be zombies), works. For me at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

In a world where you only become a zombie through a bite, yes, there is no plausible explanation. You set up a quarantine zone and take out the zombies . There are frontlines, the conflict is symmetrical, it's containable.

In walking deads world where everybody is a potential zombie if they die it's not so simple, an outbreak can start anywhere at anytime for the most mundane of reasons (old age, choking on a pretzel) stretching resources to their limits. It's asymmetrical and thus much more difficult to contain.

Kirkman went with the above to better explain how the world fell, as he obviously felt, like you did, that all previous zombie films had failed to adequately explain how slow moving zombies could overwhelm human civilisation.

I think his solution, while nihillistic(No happy ending, as long as there are human's there will be zombies), works. For me at least.

Wouldn't give Kirkman much credit for the above. Very similar rules applied to the Romero films , death that didn't involve massive head trauma resulted in zombification. They made reference to it being possibly caused by radiation from a returning space craft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

mzungu wrote: »
    I think FTWD is by far the superior show now and would prefer them to wrap up TWD as it has been out of ideas for a long time now.

FTWD is like a poor cousin of TWD but takes all the bad things from it, annoying characters (99% of them), impossible outcomes (people do stuff that not one person on the planet would do) and an even worse script. This season of TWD was better than last but they still have the ridiculous A-Team type shootouts where no one gets hit at point blank range and all the grand plans get foiled in the dumbest way possible. Don't get me started on the finale.
    Sand wrote:
    There is no plausible explanation for how slow zombies overwhelm a country like the US (roughly 800,000 sworn law enforcement officers, 2.1 million active and reserve soldiers, and 300 million legally held firearms in the hands of private citizens) and also fits with the TWD setting.

There is if you take actions of the people of TWD and FTWD, like someone falling down 20 flights of stairs not waking anyone in a room full of people or people seeing zombies eating people and know they are zombies but still walk over to reason with them not matter how many times they see the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Wouldn't give Kirkman much credit for the above. Very similar rules applied to the Romero films , death that didn't involve massive head trauma resulted in zombification. They made reference to it being possibly caused by radiation from a returning space craft.

Ah right fair enough. Been a few years since I watched the Romeros films. If that's the case it explains how civilisation fell in those movies adequately enough for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I gave up on it after season 4 and don't plan on going back to it anytime soon

Advertisement