Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mistakes on Licences

Options
  • 07-03-2017 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Well lads, have you any mistakes on your firearm certificate?

My Anschutz. 22LR is licenced as a .220.

My brother has a .17HMR, his licence says it is a .17 Airgun.

Any mistakes? Post below, (Just for fun)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well lads, have you any mistakes on your firearm certificate?

My Anschutz. 22LR is licenced as a .220.

My brother has a .17HMR, his licence says it is a .17 Airgun.

Any mistakes? Post below, (Just for fun)

My shotgun licence has a moderator on it :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Couple of years back i applied for an Anschutz .22lr rifle. The license i got back was an unrestricted license for a 6 shot Anschutz pistol.

I also had a license for a 1.7 inch HMR.

A lad i know got 100 round limits on his pistol licenses (2 of them). When he asked for it to be upped to 1,000 he got the new licenses with 10,000 on each one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here in UK I had to renew my FAC. As a matter of course the FEO, a good friend who had once been my Warrant Officer, came around to check my guns, and happened to notice that the back door was propped open with an 88mm tank projectile - a parting gift from a visit to Shoeburyness gunnery ranges many years before.

MoG!!!! He said, is that an armour-piercing projectile? It is, I replode, from a Tiger tank. In that case, it will have to be entered on your FAC as an AP projectile, and we'll have to make you a collector of such a form of ammunition. Hmmm, You don't actually have a gun knocking around that would shoot it, do you? he asked me, in all seriousness, thus proving to me forever why he never got any further in his military career.

With that, he finished off his coffee, ate ALL the remaining Hobnobs, and disappeared back to HQ to write up my new FAC.

A couple of weeks later it appeared in my mail-box. I read it eagerly, before signing it, to make sure that

a. The extra couple of rifles I had asked for [replacements for the by-now prohibited handguns I had 'lost'] and ammunition were on it.

b. I would be a collector of the otherwise prohibited ammunition - ie., expanding, fragmenting and 'armour-piercing', in a collector-y sort of way.

Yup. Both new conditions were there, in clear. But HOLD on there, WTH is this?

'Ammunition to be acquired and held for the purpose of collection - ANY and ALL calibres of Armour-piercing, armour-piercing incendiary, common incendiary or tracer but NOT explosive content projectiles up to an including 20mm.

Namely -

160 rounds of Armour-piercing nature.

160 rounds Common Incendiary nature.

160 rounds of Armour-piercing incendiary nature.

160 rounds of Common Tracer nature.

A total of 640 rounds of 20mm autocannon ammunition, legally.

That condition stayed on until my last renewal in 2015.

tac

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

An old European Firearms Pass I had for a Walther KK200 in .22lr:

3POqIkd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

had one for a double barrel semi automatic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

My first license for my .22LR was posted out to me with the wrong serial number on it. Went in to the Gardai and got a new one posted out within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

My CZ .22lr is down as a C5, I didn't even know Citroen made rifles.

Wouldn't mind one of these all the same :):)

29911613012_6ce695cd1d_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

My 22wmr is down as a 220 too. Lol

It's the same with my 220 swift.

We're I often wonder is how do they distinguish between 308 and 30-06 or 300winmag

Also wonder what sort of stuff they have thrown on 223 and 22/250 certs. I suppose it could be anything from 22 to 220 or 224 or 5.56 or 250 etc etc

Technically the above few would still come under .22 calibre and the top few under 30cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

had one for a double barrel semi automatic

Was it one of these??:Pmaxresdefault.jpg

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

IRLConor wrote: »
    An old European Firearms Pass I had for a Walther KK200 in .22lr:

3POqIkd.jpg

Hope you had good hearing protection them 105 Howitzers make a serious bang when fired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Two years ago, after some delay, I got all my Certs in the post on the same day. However on examining them, they were the same as the ones that had expired.
    Three years Certs, newly printed, but already a month out of date.
    Rang the local Sarge.
    I'll sort that for you, he said.
    He certainly did, the licences came thick and fast until I had three new licences for each gun, including a rifle I had sold a year before!

That reminds me of the time i got a call from my old FO asking me if i had some time to go through my licenses. He wanted to check what was on PULSE against what i actually had. Turns out i was still down for over 13 firearms including one i'd sold nearly three years prior. Same with My Father. Down for almost twice as many guns as he actually owned.

Its why, and without derailing the thread, we have so little confidence in the PULSE system and the figures An Gardaí publish.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Had a wrong serial number on my license for 10 years or so, asked to correct it every year, no joy. Only got sorted when new license system came in.

One of present rifles, 7mm Remington Magnum, on license is 7 .00Mm

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

I'm left wondering just how difficult it must be to get a document that is so important, so wrong.

It's as if every time an application for a license goes in, it's the very first time anybody in the entire history of the human race has asked for a gun license, with the whole 'gun thing' being completely new to everybody concerned in the firearms department.

There can be no other rational explanation why so many ludicrous mistakes are made. Sad to remember that in Ireland, if your license is incorrect, it's YOUR fault, not that of the issuing authority.

Having said that, there was no believable explanation for what appeared on the FAC of a guy in another club - his vintage Holland & Holland 500NE double rifle was down on his FAC as a 'Dutch Soone target rifle'. Needless to say, the FAC was 'walked through the door' the very next day.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm left wondering just how difficult it must be to get a document that is so important, so wrong.

It's as if every time an application for a license goes in, it's the very first time anybody in the entire history of the human race has asked for a gun license, with the whole 'gun thing' being completely new to everybody concerned in the firearms department.

tac

Imagine if you were asked to complete a complex equation in the fields of chemical engineering, or theoretical physics.
    How would you like it?

i wish I could say "It's not rocket science", but to the average Member, it really is!

Ah, but I'm not a 'rocket scientist', but the people who issue our licenses ARE supposed to be professionally au fait with the terminology, type, calibre and description of the firearms that they are licensing, right?

tac

"Supposed to be" about sums it up.
    Most seem uninterested, to the extent that one individual in each larger station gets landed with the paperwork and called the "Firearms" officer, even though there is no such rank or position.
    You get the strong impression that many Gardai would love to see firearm ownership confined solely to the Army and the ERU (or whatever they're now called).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

For a while I was licenced for a 22" rifle.
    Flagged this to get it replaced.
    Came back as 220"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I recently had a reason to ring the PSNI about a firearm being imported on my behalf. I have to say their set up seems far superior to what we have in this country. They have one central location that deals with all new and renewal applications and will take calls from the public at designated time of the day. Often wondered why our gardai never went down the same route and take some of the pressure off the local FOs who do this work on top of their normal duties

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I wish I had that mistake on mine :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I'm assuming that such a thing does actually exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

ezra_ wrote: »

They do but they are massive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtIqTfObXIo

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

ezra_ wrote: »

Crowd in the U.K. Do an over barrel one for the mossberg 500 & Marvick 88.

Re Post #20.

A few points here, folks, that might help to oil the squeaks somewhat.

There is no point whatsoever in trying to compare the system in place in the Republic with that in Northern Ireland or the rest of the UK, even Scotland, now that it has a unitary police organisation.

As far as ANY comparison can be made at all, let's not overlook that the PSNI is NOT organised over twenty-six counties, but over ONE large collective location, namely, the entire six counties of Northern Ireland. As such, it can be treated, as far as firearms licensing is concerned, as simply one large county within the UK. That figure, however, is misleading in the extreme, since in Northern Ireland EVERY airgun must also be held on a firearms certificate, unlike the rest of UK [except Scotland], where only those above 12 ft lb m/e are required to be licensed. Add to that figure that every shotgun in Northern Ireland is also on a firearms certificate. Not so in the rest of the UK, where only those shotguns with a capacity of more than three cartridges need an FAC - the other ~600,000 are on a simple shotgun certificate.

With the fact that the UK has a vastly larger population, and correspondingly large police forces to police them, it's obvious that the organisation of those police forces is on a totally different scale to that of the RoI. This means that each county police HQ can have, within its structure, an entire department - the Firearms and Explosives Licensing department - whose sole job is to deal with firearms and explosives to the exclusion of anything else.

The folks who work there are civilians with a wide knowledge of shooting and all that goes with it. Many are ex-forces, ex-police, or both, many have worked in game management, keepering or related shooting activities and for the most part, are themselves active shooters.

The system employed in the RoI is a left-over from the time when Ireland, still a mainly rural country, had few rifled arms in private ownership. My dad, living in Co. Cork, paid five bob for his gun license for a .22 rifle, and was the envy of his pals. Nobody else of his acquaintance had such a thing, although a couple of his cronies each had an old shotgun.

Even now, your counties operate with a comparatively low-ranking Garda officer - a superintendent for an entire county. In our local county police HQ, there are ten or eleven superintendents - each assigned to one particular aspect of police work.

Things are very different, right?

You are stuck with the way things are, and I can't see how they could ever change without a total re-organisation of the terms of reference of each and every level of Garda officer - bottom to top.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

tac foley wrote:
    You are stuck with the way things are, and I can't see how they could ever change without a total re-organisation of the terms of reference of each and every level of Garda officer - bottom to top.

Or simply take it away from the Gardai and set up an independent unit staffed by Civil Servants.

With the attitude of your government, plus the attitude prevailing among many members of the AGS , plus the inevitable memories of 1922/3, I can't EVER envisage a civilian organisation that would be responsible for administering firearms ownership and licensing. Here in UK the department is answerable to the Chief Constable of the county who is the final arbiter on the granting of a firearms certificate. Remember that here in UK a person only has ONE firearms certificate on which ALL his or her firearms are entered. The Irish system of licensing the gun as an individual item makes no sense to us here. I'd end up with nineteen separate licenses - all running out at different times!

tac

Or simply take it away from the Gardai and set up an independent unit staffed by Civil Servants.
    I can't EVER envisage a civilian organisation that would be responsible for administering firearms ownership and licensing.
    It could be done, but it would take a complete change to the firearms act as it states that An Gardaí are responsible for the licensing (indluing chekcs, monitoring, etc) of firearms.

It could be done without taking it from them. Simply have civilian administration with the Gardaí doing the checks. Sounds simplistic, but you get the idea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was shown an Irish firearms licenses once, the condition stated on it was "not to be discharged within the state". :confused::confused:

Does this count?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd end up with nineteen separate licenses - all running out at different times!

My licences running out at different times keeps the Gardaí busy updating my European Firearms Pass. :(

Although, if I had your 19 guns here in Ireland I wouldn't fancy the idea of paying out €80 x 19 = €1520 all at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

BattleCorp wrote: »
    My licences running out at different times keeps the Gardaí busy updating my European Firearms Pass. :(

Although, if I had your 19 guns here in Ireland I wouldn't fancy the idea of paying out €80 x 19 = €1520 all at once.

Cheaper have a dealer license @ €1,000 or a restricted dealers license @ €1,500

Advertisement