Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mistakes on Licences

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cheaper have a dealer license @ €1,000 or a restricted dealers license @ €1,500

Also factor in the requirement to have a secure facility to store the firearms. The security requirements are a tad higher than us mere shooters have to adhere to. You'd pretty much need a gun vault with CCTV, monitored alarm, panic button, sensors in the walls etc.

But yeah, I'd love to have a restricted dealers licence but it'll have to wait until I win the Lotto/Euromillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Cass wrote: »
    It could be done, but it would take a complete change to the firearms act as it states that An Gardaí are responsible for the licensing (indluing chekcs, monitoring, etc) of firearms.

It could be done without taking it from them. Simply have civilian administration with the Gardaí doing the checks. Sounds simplistic, but you get the idea.

Ah, here, the civilian FEO does the checks on behalf of the Chief Constable, using the deputed authority of his post.

All firearms legislation here is the responsibility of a civilian - the Home Secretary - who 'owns' the police forces of the UK. In this respect the police are simply making sure that the Home Office firearms laws are adhered to, and, since they are laws, that none are being inadvertently (or intentionally) being broken.

As for the 'monitoring' aspect, well, that's one peculiar to a form of police state. In UK the police would have to have a VERY good reason to go knocking on your door and demanding to check your guns - 'reasonable suspicion' that something naughty is going on, at the very least. Even the FEO, who usually carried out checks, only does so by arrangement, and that's usually on renewal of the FAC - every five years - unless you have put in for another firearm - known as a variation.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Cheaper have a dealer license @ €1,000 or a restricted dealers license @ €1,500

Does a dealers license last 3 years?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    Ah, here, the civilian FEO does the checks on behalf of the Chief Constable, using the deputed authority of his post.
    We have Crime Prevention Officers (CPO) however they are Garda members. They usually wear civilian clothing, but they are still serving members.
    All firearms legislation here is the responsibility of a civilian - the Home Secretary - who 'owns' the police forces of the UK. In this respect the police are simply making sure that the Home Office firearms laws are adhered to, and, since they are laws, that none are being inadvertently (or intentionally) being broken.
    The exact same here.

The Dept of justice, headed up by the minister for Justice (a civilian) sets the laws and the Gardaí enforce them. However the responsibility of issuing licenses including the checks, etc. are all carried out by An Gardaí.

I believe, rumor only, that An Gardaí were not happy when the collection of fees was taken from them so i wonder how they'd react to the administrative end being taken from them.

I've seen in the papers that An Gardaí will be recruiting hundreds of civilian staff to "free up" members that are "stuck" doing such duties. So perhaps this is a start to it.
    As for the 'monitoring' aspect, well, that's one peculiar to a form of police state. In UK the police would have to have a VERY good reason to go knocking on your door and demanding to check your guns - 'reasonable suspicion' that something naughty is going on, at the very least. Even the FEO, who usually carried out checks, only does so by arrangement, and that's usually on renewal of the FAC - every five years - unless you have put in for another firearm - known as a variation.

tac
    When we fill out the FCA1 we must sign away our right to such warrantless inspections. IOW while the CPO can arrive (in fairness usually pre-arranged) and inspect the home security and where the firearms are stored. It does not allow them to nose around, but if i were to refuse the CPO entrance to inspect my security s/he may simply mark his form as not done and then i'd more than likely get a letter of revocation or some sort of meeting with the Superintendent.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Does a dealers license last 3 years?
    Yup.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1 greysleeper

My shotgun licence was for a double barrel Lumber 11.25mm calibre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Which only proves what many of us on both sides of the water have suspected for years - many firearms departments on BOTH sides of the Irish Sea haven't got the faintest notion of what they are dealing with.

It's simply a matter of looking up the manufacturers' names and descriptions, but............

tac

PS - Have I been here long enough to be able to welcome you to this great forum? I'm a furriner, y'see. :) but I do have connections.

Advertisement