Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling on 9/11

Options
  • 07-03-2017 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Might seem a silly question but anyway, a group of us are traveling to New York in September. The date that suits most is traveling on the 11th of September.
    We are staying in New York 3 days then traveling to Boston to meet up with more friends and flying hone from Boston.
    We haven't booked yet but a number of people have stated they are nervous about traveling to NY on 9/11...flights on that day do seem a little cheaper.
    We have friends living in NY who said that in the city itself it is just like any other working day with maybe a couple of extra road closures but not major.
    So what are people's views a about flying into Newark airport on 9/11..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's just a date. Wouldn't stop me flying for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it's really just a date to people. it maybe an anniversary for those who lost someone in the attacks that day, but it wouldn't stop me from travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

spurious wrote: »
    It's just a date. Wouldn't stop me flying for a second.
    That's my taughts on it..but some seem a little spooked traveling on that date..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I wouldn't have a problem travelling on the 9th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

harr wrote: »
    That's my taughts on it..but some seem a little spooked traveling on that date..

So what's your point? You propose to travel with a group of people some of whom have a preference not to travel on Sept. 11th, we get that.

There have been 15 x Sept. 11ths since the 2001 attacks on the Twin Towers, do your friends recall anything that happened on any of those 15 dates which would discourage them from flying on the next Sept 11th?

This is something you are going to have to sort out yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Travelled home from New York to Dublin on that date last year. Was no different to any other day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

coylemj wrote: »
    So what's your point? You propose to travel with a group of people some of whom have a preference not to travel on Sept. 11th, we get that.

There have been 15 x Sept. 11ths since the 2001 attacks on the Twin Towers, do your friends recall anything that happened on any of those 15 dates which would discourage them from flying on the next Sept 11th?

This is something you are going to have to sort out yourself.
    I was just wondering if others would have that irrational fear of flying to NY on that date..I am actually surprised by some peoples reaction when I say we are flying into NY on that date..even travel agents asked if I was ok booking flights on that date as she had people change flights before so she now asks out of routine.
    Anyway trip booked now and looking forward to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I flew on 11 Sept to NY one year, the flight was great, under-booked, very quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Probably safer fly on 9/11 than any other day with increase in security around that date. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. You have a much better chance of being killed on the way to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I flew LGA-STL last 9/11, it was no different than any other day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Probably cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

9/11 suits most people, but a number of the same people are uncomfortable flying that day? Then tell them to fly the day before or day after if its such a big deal. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

only thing I noticed flying on 9/11 was the entire Airport came to a halt for 1 minute's silence at 11.00am but that might have been Airport dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did it on the 5th anniversary. Flights were 450 return at the time. There was 38 people on the plane according to the airhostesses. We had free reign and could sit anywhere we wanted and have as much food as we wanted​. Very enjoyable but bar that no difference.

Advertisement