Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia visa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They relaxed/waived visa rules for the Champions League final and for the Sochi Olympics and have said that they'll do likewise for the World Cup.

Yeah, you probably are right. A match ticket could be considered a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I'm also going through the motions of applying for a tourist visa and it's pretty complicated.

On the online visa form, the drop down menu for the tourist visa only has two options, Agency or None. I booked everything myself so don't need an agency, so do I choose "none" and get a voucher from the hotel that I'm staying at?

Also, for insurance purposes, is Russia classified as Europe or Worldwide/except the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Been years since I went to Russia so can't comment on that, though I'd think if you're ordering a tourist voucher you'd be considered as travelling with an agency even if in reality you're not?
    For insurance, check wording, I think a lot of companies would state that Europe includes Russia west of the Urals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I found this website to give good info on filling in and my application passed first time.
    https://www.justgorussia.co.uk/en/visa_guidance/

I would suggest double and triple check everything before submitting, although the guy i had looked over it and seemed happy enough.
    Once i handed it over they give you a slip of paper with a date to collect.
    I recommend checking the info before you leave.

On mine there was a blank space where the photo should be but i understand it translates to 'ok without photo'

They are open 9am to 11:45 only and to reiterate, they dont take cash or cards at all. Postal Money order only.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Can the Visa be sorted online without going to the Embassy? for those not living close to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Phee_Bee

It's pretty straightforward, went through it last two months ago. Only hassle I found with it was getting the voucher/tourist invitation from the hotel I booked accommodation with. Was sent one from the hotel which was not accepted from the embassy and my visa was returned due to insufficient paper work.

In the end got the tourist invitation online was only 15euro was emailed to me within 24hoirs and was accepted for the visa application. If I was going again I'd go straight to getting the invitation online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭otterj

Phee_Bee wrote: »
    It's pretty straightforward, went through it last two months ago. Only hassle I found with it was getting the voucher/tourist invitation from the hotel I booked accommodation with. Was sent one from the hotel which was not accepted from the embassy and my visa was returned due to insufficient paper work.

In the end got the tourist invitation online was only 15euro was emailed to me within 24hoirs and was accepted for the visa application. If I was going again I'd go straight to getting the invitation online.

What website did you get the online invitation from?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

From experience , can anyone tell me long the wait is for the issue of the visa from Dublin Russian Embassy. I note online they say 4-20 working days. If i drop the documentation in , should I expect to get Visa back within 10 days?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭otterj

Got mine back in 8 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

applied last november but needed it quicker and sent it to the Dublin embassy and got it back within 3-4 working days... cost a little more though..it's a straightforward process..

enjoy your time in St. Petersburg... it's a brilliant place....so much to see and do!! I'd love to go back in the summer for the white nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Travelman11

Hi guys,

Has anyone recently experienced queuing up for a Russian tourist visa in their consular office in Dublin?
    I’m wondering is it best to go in person or post the necessary documents. I need to get the visa application back quite quickly after applying so just figuring the best way around it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Go in person

They will do a quick document check at the counter, they are EXTREMELY particular about the paperwork so be sure you have everything in order so at least you find out on the spot if there is an issue

They will give you a date for collection, collect in person

Would be at least 2-3 days faster in person as you don't have to wait for An Post.

Payment only by postal order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Travelman11

Great thanks, does it take a few hours queuing in the embassy?

Get there as soon as it opens, there isn't really a structured queuing system...

I cannot overemphasise having all the paperwork right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

So, because of recent events in UK, whats the situation with applying for a Russian holiday visa for this summer (2018).

will be on a MSC cruise, so will be docked at St. Petersburg for a day.

i most admit, i'm a little bit worried about going offshore, but would like to see the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    So, because of recent events in UK, whats the situation with applying for a Russian holiday visa for this summer (2018).

will be on a MSC cruise, so will be docked at St. Petersburg for a day.

No need to apply for a visa. Your ship will dock beside an immigration office where a stony-faced official will stamp your passport with a visa for the day, then you hop on your excursion bus and off you go. It's a good distance from the city and I didn't see any taxis so don't think about doing any independent exploring, you do need to apply in advance for a real tourist visa for that type of a visit. The visa they give you with minimum formality in that office is only given to people on official excursions off the ship.
    Mc-BigE wrote: »
    i most admit, i'm a little bit worried about going offshore, but would like to see the city.

Nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

How far in advance can you get the visa??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Aeroflot are supposed to be launching a direct route from Dublin to Moscow but no date for the launch has been announced yet. Once it starts I'll definitely visit Russia then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Does it need to be a cruise ship? Say if you want to get around the visa rule and fly to Helsinki and get the public boat to St Petersburg solo and be there under 72 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

moloner4 wrote: »
    Does it need to be a cruise ship? Say if you want to get around the visa rule and fly to Helsinki and get the public boat to St Petersburg solo and be there under 72 hours.

It needs to be a cruise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PoulM

I was going to Russia with Travel Department. Ended up letting Travel Department sort it out. Took a while, I think a bit more than a month, but it went well

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ninja breadman

Im having trouble finding out info about how to get a visa for Minsk. What’s the procedure in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Im having trouble finding out info about how to get a visa for Minsk. What’s the procedure in Ireland?

You need to apply to UK embassy. Details are here, but let me know if anything unclear.

http://uk.mfa.gov.by/en/consular_issues/visas/

Hi All

I am currently part way through a one year business visa for the Russian federation. It is multiple entry. I am trying to figure out how best to allocate my time.

I was researching and it seems that Russian multi entry visas reflect exactly how the rule is applied in the EU as well - am I correct in this?

I am trying to get my head around the rolling 90 / 180 rules.

So - am I correct to assume that any EU based calc will also be accurate for this Russian visa on mine?

Please see attached for past and perspective travel dates, just want to make sure that is correct so I don't get myself into trouble.

• Advertisement

Bump - anyone able to advise please? :D

I had the same visa, but never stayed long enough to worry about this

Its 90 days in the previous 180 on date of entry

I would strongly recommend not to push the limits, so don't push it to the full 90 days, if anything goes wrong, flight cancelled, you get sick etc you have no margin for error and the Russian's love red tape.

Talk to the ever friendly Igor at the Russian Consulate

I had the same visa, but never stayed long enough to worry about this

Its 90 days in the previous 180 on date of entry

I would strongly recommend not to push the limits, so don't push it to the full 90 days, if anything goes wrong, flight cancelled, you get sick etc you have no margin for error and the Russian's love red tape.

Talk to the ever friendly Igor at the Russian Consulate

Thanks a mill for this. So basically - when I enter russia again on the 1st of November: I count back 180 days and must not exceed 90 of that period of days in Russia? I currently have used 69 from the first and only entry so far on the 10th of June

The Russians and indeed most countries take this very seriously, talk to the Consulate (Igor is a real person, he is the guy on the public desk) to get confirmation.

I'd avoid trying to stretch to the full 90 days, no margin for error

If you need to stay for prolonged periods a work visa is what you need (and thats seriously fun to get)

The Russians and indeed most countries take this very seriously, talk to the Consulate (Igor is a real person, he is the guy on the public desk) to get confirmation.

I'd avoid trying to stretch to the full 90 days, no margin for error

If you need to stay for prolonged periods a work visa is what you need (and thats seriously fun to get)

Hi

Thank you for this - I have given myself a two day margin of error just to be on the safe side anyways. I will contact them again anyways and get some more information on this.

10-06-18 to 16-08-18 = 68 days
    01-11-18 to 20-11-18 = 20 days

Totals at 88 days.

I hope that I got the maths on this right. Ive included the date of entry and exit for each trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I wouldn't risk it.

I wouldn't risk it.

Hi Folks

Thank you for the advice - I have rebooked my exit flights for free so I now have a full working week of room. Cheers for clarifying the nature of risk and also the process for getting the correct information.

I really appreciate it.

Hi,

I’m looking for an Irish citizen who could give me advice about getting a tourist visa to Russia. What is the best way to go about it (embassy or agency), what it entails and how long does it take?

Thanks very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't think it has changed that much since this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102842753

• Advertisement

Thank you, but I’ve looked up the procedure. I’d like to know what it’s like from someone who actually went through it.
    spurious wrote: »
    I don't think it has changed that much since this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102842753

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I went through it, though not in the last couple of years.

I applied to the embassy, had all the required documents, came back in about ten days and picked up my visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I applied to the embassy, had all the required documents, came back in about ten days and picked up my visa.

Do you need to go to the Embassy for it??? I'm going to Tokyo later in the year with a 14 hour layover in Moscow. I need a transit visa to go into the city itself, so no sponsorship required. It's still the same 80 odd euro though!

No you don't need to go to the embassy, you can post things in, but I wanted to make sure everything was in order with my documents, I live in Dublin anyway, so it was easier to go in with it all.

I don't know if they still only take postal orders for payment.

Thank you.

Can I ask you please, did you have to fully pay for the hotel in order to get an ‘invitation’? Or just provisionally book? I presume flights have to be booked in advance as well?

The part about giving them all the details about our travel arrangements and accommodation is a bit worrying because I don’t have everything planned and even then it’s not set in stone, not to mention I wanted to fly into Moscow and fly out from St Petersburg (or the other way around), and of course we’ll be staying in different places... do they need all that information?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Thank you.

Can I ask you please, did you have to fully pay for the hotel in order to get an ‘invitation’? Or just provisionally book? I presume flights have to be booked in advance as well?

The part about giving them all the details about our travel arrangements and accommodation is a bit worrying because I don’t have everything planned and even then it’s not set in stone, not to mention I wanted to fly into Moscow and fly out from St Petersburg (or the other way around), and of course we’ll be staying in different places... do they need all that information?

Thanks again.

The hotel won't give you an invitation usually without some kind of payment guarantee if you haven't fully prepaid. Otherwise you could get an invitation and then cancel.

If you are staying in multiple places it might be easier to buy an invitation online. Just Google 'Russia letter of invitation'. This allows you to add a few days extra at the end which is a good idea in case your flight is cancelled or whatever. You have to list the cities and hotels you are staying at but you can put in any hotel; you don't actually have to stay there. It usually costs around €15-€20.

Flights don't have to be booked in advance. I would book them soon though as July seems to be expensive for flights to Russia. The LH flights I booked in November for travel in June/July which cost €330 are now €580.

Aeroflot direct to Moscow is usually the cheapest option but the DUB–SVO (Sheremetyevo) flight is overnight which put me off booking it. You can book a multi-city trip Dublin to Moscow SVO and St Petersburg to Dublin via SVO for around €350 if you don't mind the 5 am arrival in Moscow.
    S7 Airlines also fly direct from DUB–DME (Domodedovo) during the day, once a week (Saturdays). You can book a multi-city trip DUB to Moscow DME and St Petersburg to Dublin via DME for around €350 as well.
    Other than the usual European airlines, airBaltic and Finnair can be cheap enough but in the case of the former you will have a very early start on the inbound journey (5-6 am).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Does everyone applying for a visa actually have to go to the embassy or can one person apply for everyone? All relations with the same surname if that makes any difference. And maybe this is obvious but I presume you can pay for multiple applications with the one postal money order?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I've mostly applied by post, so not sure about the office application. However, I think if your paperwork is in order, then one person can submit multiple applications.
    If you're still not sure, I'd just call them. They answer the phone usually, if you keep trying when you don't get through on first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

VG31 wrote: »
    Does everyone applying for a visa actually have to go to the embassy or can one person apply for everyone? All relations with the same surname if that makes any difference. And maybe this is obvious but I presume you can pay for multiple applications with the one postal money order?

Thanks.

Yeah one person can go, there is no necessity for all and one postal order is fine too. I used just one for myself and my partner (different surnames)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Golfwidow

I’m hoping to go to Moscow for a short city break with friends. We’ve sorted direct flights, possible accommodation and now we have to sort our visas. I’m aware that a letter of invitation is required and I can get that through ivisa for €19 each. Then I’ve been on the Russian embassy website. It looks like that will cost approximately €77 each and we must also send health/travel insurance certs with letters of invitation. Any other advice??? Has anyone else done this themselves? Is it best to use an agency to do the visa work instead? I’d appreciate your experiences!!

Your accommodation will supply the letter of invitation.

Any time I went to Russia I just got the documents together, went to the embassy (they only accept postal order payments), waited the few days and went back and collected the visa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement