Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay Support

Options
  • 07-03-2017 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

So Apple Pay is officially available in Ireland, what are BOI's plans to support it? KBC and Ulster already support it on Day 1!!

If anyone else would like them to get a move on please chime in on this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

My account will be on the move by month end if there's no news. It's not just the lack of support itself. It's the general backwardness in technology and lack of interest in customer satisfaction that will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Set up a KBC account this morning, I'd be willing to forego it if Bank of Ireland set out a solid time frame. If the response to this thread is just "we will let you know when we launch new technology" that will be the end of my relationship with the bank. 

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MedHead

Have just set up my KBC account, will be moving if there's no definite timeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts and feedback. Please be assured I have escalated all feedback received here and we'll continue to do so. We'll let you know as soon as we support mobile payments.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 4 petercu69

I second this - have been a loyal BOI customer for nearly 30 years - business and personal. I have been asking by BOI rep about Apple Pay for some time now, if they dont off it soon I will do the same and move to KBC or Ulster Bank. We are off to the USA next month and it would be great to use Apple Pay there but I doubt BOI will get their act together by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 SeamusHollahan

petercu69 wrote: »
    I second this - have been a loyal BOI customer for nearly 30 years - business and personal. I have been asking by BOI rep about Apple Pay for some time now, if they dont off it soon I will do the same and move to KBC or Ulster Bank. We are off to the USA next month and it would be great to use Apple Pay there but I doubt BOI will get their act together by then.
    Make sure you get your revolut card before you go to the US to  save on exchange rate & withdrawal fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I'm the same, I have been a customer for 30 years and also have my mortgage with the bank. If there is no timeframe or news forthcoming from the bank I will have to move all my business. 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

so Bank of Ireland refused to comment...in other words they probably have no plans to bring it out this year. 
    Time to move.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/want-to-pay-in-shops-with-your-iphone-or-apple-watch-apple-pay-available-for-irish-consumers-35508500.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 petercu69

thanks SeamusHollahan  I will look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

I fail to see why anyone should stay with BOI. We get charge exorbitant account fees the online system is down more than it is up and now we can't even use mobile payments. If we even got a "we're in discussions" we might have some hope. It's off to KBC I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd really like to see BoI step up to the plate here, 20 years loyalty despite higher rates etc.. because the service was always good, 

Don't get left behind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Considering that BOI forced business customers to use IE6, a 16 year old obsolete and insecure browser for so long I wouldn't hold my breath. BOI are hostile to technology, their customers and (from family experience) their own employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PedroDow

Just weighing in here also. I've been with BOI for over 20 years and have been asking about this service since Apple announced it. I'll be giving them to the end of the month to issue an actual response with a genuine time frame and if they don't I'll be going elsewhere also. What i think is ironic is that I found an article on BOI's Payment Acceptance website that outlines the benefits of mobile contactless; it's all well and good when they want money. The article is under Android Pay. There have been numerous reports of banks losing customers due to these services being withheld; Barcleys in the UK being a prime example. How senior management don't see this as being of strategic benefit is beyond me... maybe they can't afford the 0.15% transaction fee that Apple wants but that's what my quarterly fees are for, right!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

The thing that frustrates me is the changes they have introduced: Automatic Lodgements, No Access to staff unless you are handling obscene amounts of cash and a complete push towards automation. All that is fine but when it comes to the crunch they don't want to put their money and investments into things that actually make an improvement to customers experiences.

They cant have it both ways. if they want to reduce the overall staff presence in the organisation then invest in new technologies like Apple and Android pay. If they don't then people will walk. Typical Irish approach....take services away but fail to make any effort to improve services to customers. Id imagine we should be grateful that they take almost €50 a quarter off us in fee's......sure what are we all moaning about. 

This is no way a comment on the mods on this page they are just the frontline foot solders, its the corporate attitude that I have an issue with. 

Blazer wrote: »
    so Bank of Ireland refused to comment...in other words they probably have no plans to bring it out this year. 
    Time to move.
    Thanks for this Blazer, I didn't realise that they had refused to comment; and you're right, with this reply my expectation that Apple Pay (and Android Pay) will be offered has significantly reduced. All this has done is drive me to bonkers.ie and see how good competing current account offerings are (when I wouldn't have thought to look before). And add to this the issues of not processing wages payments in time and there is less keeping me with BOI in the long-term, which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Would be great to hear something back BOI! If its a no then fine, but tell us at least

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Bank Of Ireland are not going to invest in Apple Pay whilst currently spending billions upgrading their IT systems. Once done though, they'll be fit for Apple Pay and other space age solutions

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Bank Of Ireland are not going to invest in Apple Pay whilst currently spending billions upgrading their IT systems. Once done though, they'll be fit for Apple Pay and other space age solutions
    It's not billions, it's €500m according to a Times article from October last year and it's related specifically to software enhancements as opposed to infrastructural enhancements. So I'm not arguing with your assessment but what is concerning is that the software enhancement implementation is due to take several years. This kind of slow-paced-adoption-attitude is not conducive to the introduction of, largely software-based, competitive services (the hardware i.e. the contactless merchant terminals have been in place for a few years). 

I'm not holding my breath for any announcement in the short-term and have as of this morning started to close accounts; as others have suggested, this is absolutely the type of service that would make me reconsider my provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Can BOI give an estimate of when to expect this service? Lack of comms is reason enough to look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Can BOI give an estimate of when to expect this service? Lack of comms is reason enough to look elsewhere.
    Hi MarcusFenix and all, 

Thanks for your post. We don't have any further update on this, until we do we would be unable to comment further on Apple pay. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

So now that Apple Pay has been available in Ireland for a number of weeks, do you have any plans to offer this service? Ulster bank and KBC already offer this service. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning kkapp, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

As soon as we support mobile payments we will notify all our customers through our Social channels and on our website. 

Thank you for your expression on interest on this and we will ensure to forward your feedback to our development team. 

Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Good Morning kkapp, 

As soon as we support mobile payments we will notify all our customers through our Social channels and on our website. 

Thank you for your expression on interest on this and we will ensure to forward your feedback to our development team. 

Elaine 
    Hardly a definitive answer.

Is there a timescale to this..? A month, six months, a year.... Never..?

It would be in your customers interest to at least have a stab as to when it will be available.
    I for one, will be looking to bank elsewhere, if this is not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So, no? Might be time to move bank so. 
    Good Morning kkapp, 

Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

+1 will be leaving BOI after 25 years if they don't get their act together with support for Android Pay and Apple Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

They aren't supporting it and from i gather have no immediate plans to.

Don't see the big fuss with android pay, it's no handier than your card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I'm with Bank of Ireland and I've been using Boon Payment since Apple Pay was launched. There is a small charge but I find the app great and no problems paying at all. 

I actually kinda like having it separate and topping up. 

gizmo81 wrote: »
    There is a small charge

Banking with BoI is expensive enough without adding additional changes for the convenience of taking your phone out of your pocket to pay!

I would like if they introduced Apple Pay, but until then I'll have to inconveniently take my wallet out of my pocket and remove my card from the wallet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

There is a small charge

Banking with BoI is expensive enough without adding additional changes for the convenience of taking your phone out of your pocket to pay!

I would like if they introduced Apple Pay, but until then I'll have to inconveniently take my wallet out of my pocket and remove my card from the wallet.
    Hi i understand not wanting any other charges, I was just highlighting an option that I find useful myself and like. 

• Advertisement

Hi i understand not wanting any other charges, I was just highlighting an option that I find useful myself and like. 

Oh absolutely, for some the charge wouldn't be an issue, and it's a very viable workaround,

I would still like BOI to commit to a date;

1 week, 1 month, 3 years, just tell us

Advertisement