Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay Support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jdk01

According to CivicScience (as discussed in Forbes), Apple iPhone users tend to be more educated and more affluent. With this in mind, it seems strange to me that the BofI should reject any opportunity to develop financial relationships with these people, by not fulfilling their most fundamental need to use Apple Pay with Apple iPhone/Apple Watch to buy stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

jdk01 wrote: »
    According to CivicScience (as discussed in Forbes), Apple iPhone users tend to be more educated and more affluent. With this in mind, it seems strange to me that the BofI should reject any opportunity to develop financial relationships with these people, by not fulfilling their most fundamental need to use Apple Pay with Apple iPhone/Apple Watch to buy stuff.

It's because BOI is a dinosaur of a bank. They'd rather do daft things like spam me with 'Premium Banking' nonsense calls while I'm in work, even after I repeatedly asked them to stop, rather than do something useful people actually want.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

So AIB are offering Apple Pay form next Tuesday onwards - any update from BOI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi MarcusFenix,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

We have no update on this at the moment.

Rest assured we will notify our customers if there is any changes.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Thanks

Kareana  

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just opened my aib account. Will start switching stuff over the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

The real question is why are BOI so far behind everyone else when it comes to technology? My local BOI branch doesn't take cash over the counter two days a week, (Yes a bank with no cash desk twice a week! Go figure.) So you'd think they'd be pushing new technology to facilate them not wanting to deal with real people in their branches. Apple Pay is only the tip of the iceberg, BOI are useless at anything approaching a modern way to do business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Okon wrote: »
    The real question is why are BOI so far behind everyone else when it comes to technology? My local BOI branch doesn't take cash over the counter two days a week, (Yes a bank with no cash desk twice a week! Go figure.) So you'd think they'd be pushing new technology to facilate them not wanting to deal with real people in their branches. Apple Pay is only the tip of the iceberg, BOI are useless at anything approaching a modern way to do business.
    Hi Okon,

Sorry to hear you feel this way.  

Our customers needs and wants are changing, we've had to change the way we offer some of our services too.  

We've invested in our technology so that you can save time and carry out some of those easy transactions with our self serving facilities in the branch and on the go. 

As always feedback here is much appreciated and passed on.

Thanks

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Honestly if you want Apple Pay and there is nothing special tying you to BOI, just move to another bank as getting it with BOI might take months or years, you don't know. Most likely you'll also get better mobile banking in the process and possibly lower fees.

I closed my account a few months back and I now wonder why I didn't do it before. BOI are just bad with new ways of banking while increasingly charging higher fees and cutting services related to more traditional ways of banking. As a customer there is no reason to get stuck in the middle of their contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

The fact that everyone gets a complete non answer when asking about Apple Pay annoys me. Why will BOI not say "We are working on offering Apple Pay at some point" or "We are not planning on offering Apple Pay". At least let customers know either way.

I have considered moving banks a couple of times, I think at this point it'll be the only way to get the services you want. Time to start looking at the others and see which offers the best services and fees structures.

SgtBob wrote: »
    The fact that everyone gets a complete non answer when asking about Apple Pay annoys me. Why will BOI not say "We are working on offering Apple Pay at some point" or "We are not planning on offering Apple Pay". At least let customers know either way.

This. I said pretty much the exact same thing to a BOI customer rep here on boards months ago and the situation hasn't changed a bit since then.

After a while you get to understand that you should take a non-answer as "it is not coming anytime soon". And if not having iApple Pay is a dealbreaker for you come to realise that changing bank is the easiest option (I doubt anyone will switch purely for Apple Pay, but as a few people here have mentioned this is just the tip of the iceberg - BOI might be good for other financial services but if you look at day to day banking they tend to lag behind and be more expensive than most of the competition).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Maybe [font=Georgia, serif]Francesca will have some answers when she takes over. Wouldn't hold ya breath though..![/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bank-of-ireland-appoints-highranking-female-banker-to-succeed-richie-boucher-35726585.html[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

I can tell you now 100% Bank of Ireland will not be using Apple Pay in the future....

BOI makes too much money from transaction fees.... it's as simple as that...

I can tell you now 100% Bank of Ireland will not be using Apple Pay in the future....

I have no doubt they'll support it eventually (mobile payments will gradually become a core service that most customers naturally expect from their bank such as debit cards or online banking today). But yeah it will probably take ages compared to other banks and they will do it reluctantly because they have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What a stupid comment this is.

They would make the same money from apple pay as its still a transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Honestly I look at my friends AIB and Permanent TSB accounts and facilities and I'm jealous as hell. 365 online is awful. The BoI app is worse. The rewards are non-existent. The biggest thing they brought out in the last 2 years was Super Valu points with a credit card transaction, wow. 

It's all 8 years old and constantly down for maintenance. I asked them at the start of December last year about Android Pay, you know, when AIB had it already. The answer was, and will for ever be: "no plans at the moment we will let you know if that changes". There will only be plans when people start leaving in their droves.

Honestly I look at my friends AIB and Permanent TSB accounts and facilities and I'm jealous as hell. 365 online is awful. The BoI app is worse. The rewards are non-existent. The biggest thing they brought out in the last 2 years was Super Valu points with a credit card transaction, wow. 

My GF as an account with KBC, and if you don't need cash lodgement facility they are actually very good (and free of you lodge more that 2500 per month).
    Can't compare with AIB as I have no experience using their app, but KBC's mobile banking is definitely better than PTSB, and miles ahead of BOI (and of course they support Apple Pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi Okon,

Sorry to hear you feel this way.  

Our customers needs and wants are changing, we've had to change the way we offer some of our services too.  

We've invested in our technology so that you can save time and carry out some of those easy transactions with our self serving facilities in the branch and on the go. 

As always feedback here is much appreciated and passed on.

Thanks

Kareana

This is nonsense and complete spin.

Not a single initiative is driven by a desire to improve customer experience. They are purely driven by an agenda to reduce costs and any claims to contrary are an insult to customers.

All BOI have achieved is confusing their customers. For example, I have a cheque that needs to be lodged. I am travelling for the next few weeks with work and was hoping to send my partner in to cash it.

My suspicion is that she will be in and out within seconds unless she has my debit card and due to the amount only being ~500 - due to a "customer experience initiative" whereby you can't speak to a staff member or approach a cash desk with less that 7 billion euro.

Sort your **** out and invest in what customers want. Automation can be used to improve customer experience you know. It doesn't have to be used to cyclically lower costs by cutting your staff down at the knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lidotaijs

How long to wait before Apple Pay is launched by Bank of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Nothing will happen until they overhaul their legacy IT systems first. That'll take a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lidotaijs

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Nothing will happen until they overhaul their legacy IT systems first. That'll take a few years

Thanks! There are no updates from BOI on this one but inconclusive answers only.
    Perhaps it’s time to move forward and change the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thread merged to existing Apple Pay thread. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

lidotaijs wrote: »
    How long to wait before Apple Pay is launched  by Bank of Ireland?
    Hi lidotaijs, 

Thanks for your post. 

Please see previous replies on this thread in relation to this. We will let you know as soon as we receive any update on Apple Pay. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi lidotaijs, 

Thanks for your post. 

Please see previous replies on this thread in relation to this. We will let you know as soon as we receive any update on Apple Pay. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Can you acknowledge at least that BOI recognise that there is a demand for this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

lidotaijs wrote: »
    How long to wait before Apple Pay is launched  by Bank of Ireland?
    Hi lidotaijs, 

Thanks for your post. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Please tell some of your higher ups that this canned response is infuriating. 

Opening a forum like this on boards.ie is a pretty brave thing to do. Using canned responses like this completely negates such bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Apple Pay. When?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

mad muffin wrote: »
    Apple Pay. When?

They will never do Apple Pay, they make too much money from bank charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

They will never do Apple Pay, they make too much money from bank charges...

It'd be the same price per transaction so this response is moronic.

Its the cost of implementing it with very little reward I'd imagine. Who would use it? Less than 5% of their customer base I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My wife told me we get charged every time I use my card, but not if I tap it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

My contactless has stopped working on one of my cards but I refuse to pay for a new one, was hoping I wouldn't have to wait too long for Apple Pay...looks like it's a long way off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

mad muffin wrote: »
    My wife told me we get charged every time I use my card, but not if I tap it?
    1c for a tap, as opposed to 7c (I think) for punching in your PIN

Advertisement