Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 07-03-2017 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I need some advice. just made my first website,its an online shop with wordpress and woocommerce,it took me ages to get it just the way i want,spent loads of time on youtube finding out how to use wordpress etc.
    The site looks great but its so slow.it gets 44 on the google website test.i have used loads of cache plugins,didnt make much difference,i am now using w3 total cache and it bumped my speed up to 68,but its still very slow.
    any advice would be great
    13 plugins,images optimized as much as possible,latest wordpress,blacknight hosting.i am not a web programmer,i know the basics of html and css.
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Go and put your site URL into http://gtmetrix.com

It will give you an estimate of your Google/YSlow site speed but more importantly it will give you a gazillion suggestions of things you could look at to make your site faster.

As well as gtmetrix, which will find issues with the size/efficiency of the html, css and images that WordPress delivers, you should look at the theme and plugins too.

In developer tools network tab, you should be able to find the time to first byte (TTFB). If this is long, it could be a server issue or a computationally intensive plugin. P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) free plugin can help find problem plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Pingdom also gives a nice graphical representation of your page load and clearly indicates which resources/activities may be causing the slowdown.

https://tools.pingdom.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamesax

Thanks lads got my speed up to 70 on google speed test,B on gtmetrix with a load time of  6,6 seconds. does that sound good,? dont think i can get it any better,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

6.6 seconds is not the best, apparently people leave after 5 seconds. but it is tough to get down depending on your resources.
    big images can be a factor.
    caching helps.
    if you are on a shared hosting account that will be slower.
    plugins / modules will slow things down.

if it is faster sometimes i.e. 2 seconds and slow others - its your hosting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement