Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers in Dublin 2

Options
  • 07-03-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

Are there any butchers in Dublin 2 where i could buy sliced fresh deli ham instead of the packet ham in Dunnes / Supervalu etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Hi,

Are there any butchers in Dublin 2 where i could buy sliced fresh deli ham instead of the packet ham in Dunnes / Supervalu etc?

As far as I know they aren't allowed to do this anymore for hygiene reasons. My own butchers had to stop doing this a couple of years back. It's still cut on site but they have to prepack it for health & safety reasons

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Love2love wrote: »
    As far as I know they aren't allowed to do this anymore for hygiene reasons. My own butchers had to stop doing this a couple of years back. It's still cut on site but they have to prepack it for health & safety reasons

Don't think this is right. My local butcher in Dublin still cuts it off the big thing of ham on the slicer. That's in Dublin 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of places cut on demand, including many delis.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Don't think this is right. My local butcher in Dublin still cuts it off the big thing of ham on the slicer. That's in Dublin 12.

Well then my local craft butcher is telling porkie pies! All his cooked meats now are prepackaged. Hazelette, turkey, corn beef & Ham. Dunnes stores stopped doing it in their delis too so I took his word.

Is there not something now about the storage of cooked / raw meats together? Mine is a small local butcher, it could be that he doesn't have the facilities I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Username taken

I actually went into the deli in Dunne's on Georges Street and asked if they could cut some for me but the response was, 'We can't, we're not allowed according to the managers'

• Advertisement

I actually went into the deli in Dunne's on Georges Street and asked if they could cut some for me but the response was, 'We can't, we're not allowed according to the managers'

Yeah I just had a look there and it's to do with cross contamination of e-coli. The onus is on them to put measures in place to prevent it so I suppose it's up to the butcher / deli themselves whether they want to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This must be why in Tesco Clare Hall the butchers counter is on one side of the aisle, and the deli counter which slices ham, turkey etc is on the other...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Try fallon and Byrne, got some there Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Username taken

Thanks All.

Just on the off chance, spoke to a manager in Dunne's on Sth Georges street. He asked the deli staff and they said it's because there's no tab on the weighing scales for ham but from here on in, i could buy sliced ham from the deli counter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Dunnes with a Baxter & Greene deli and Sheridan's cheese counters etc certainly cut charcuterie of every description cooked and cured (such as prosciutto or speck). I suspect Dunnes on George's St can't be bothered having suitably trained staff or the additional necessary sanitary facilities when 99% of customers buy it prepacked. Can't blame them but it's rubbish to suggest it's unlawful. Just subject to additional procedures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement