Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nier Automata

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

1920x1080 makes up 43.23% of monitors on Steam.

Higher resolutions make up less than 5%, combined.

From a business POV, I understand if you decide to devote your resources to textures/assets that will look good at 1080p.

It's actually really dumb not offering higher resolutions considering a simple hex edit is all that is needed.

Unless you are using the Omega Force Musou engine because the DoF effect is tied to resolution because you are lazy and your engine ****s up on 21:9 screens even if you select a 16:9 resolution :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

1920x1080 makes up 43.23% of monitors on Steam.

Higher resolutions make up less than 5%, combined.

From a business POV, I understand if you decide to devote your resources to textures/assets that will look good at 1080p.

Supporting resolutions and framerates above 1080/60 like other titles have been doing for the last decade isn't much to ask. It's a step back no matter what excuse they have. And their reason wasn't business it was, " experience the game at the highest quality that we think" which doesn't even make sense. It's because they're a Japanese who have been releasing on PC with inexcusable locks for some reason. Deadly Premonition, Metal Gear Rising, Dark Souls. Dark Souls receiving its famous 'fix' to get it working at more than 30fps by one unpaid hacker within 48 hours. The money and time it cost them to go out to an interview to relay their BS excuse as to why they're locking key PC options would've been better spent contracting that guy.

Also remember that resolution and framerate locks affect those even with hardware only capable of performing at those locks. For example you get better responsiveness unlocking the framerate of your game even if your monitor is only capable of 60Hz. Higher resolutions allow for downsampling which has its benefits too. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't PS4 users going ape for 4K TVs right now? Seems like the dumbest and least business-smart time to be adding locks like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Supporting resolutions and framerates above 1080/60 like other titles have been doing for the last decade isn't much to ask. It's a step back no matter what excuse they have. And their reason wasn't business it was, " experience the game at the highest quality that we think" which doesn't even make sense. It's because they're a Japanese who have been releasing on PC with inexcusable locks for some reason. Deadly Premonition, Metal Gear Rising, Dark Souls. Dark Souls receiving its famous 'fix' to get it working at more than 30fps by one unpaid hacker within 48 hours. The money and time it cost them to go out to an interview to relay their BS excuse as to why they're locking key PC options would've been better spent contracting that guy.

Also remember that resolution and framerate locks affect those even with hardware only capable of performing at those locks. For example you get better responsiveness unlocking the framerate of your game even if your monitor is only capable of 60Hz. Higher resolutions allow for downsampling which has its benefits too. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't PS4 users going ape for 4K TVs right now? Seems like the dumbest and least business-smart time to be adding locks like this.

PS4 users are going ape for 4K, doesn't mean their console can actually game at that resolution ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Played it for a bit tonight, it's good so far. I'm only after doing a few missions in the post demo area and I'm wondering how long
    9S
    will be hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

PS4 users are going ape for 4K, doesn't mean their console can actually game at that resolution ;)

I've noticed that a lot of your posts are about how the PS4 can't do native 4K.
    PC Master Race wha!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's mainly for HDR than 4K. Horizon looks amazing with HDR enabled, it's more than enough reason to get a 4K TV for the PS4. I don't care once its 1080p, I just want my HDR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

So Argos have 3 copies of this nationwide according to checkargos. That's impressive and I checked as soon as the listing was live this morning. Amazon list it as 1-2 months delivery.
    Guess I'll be waiting awhile before picking this up.

bugs wrote: »
    So Argos have 3 copies of this nationwide according to checkargos. That's impressive and I checked as soon as the listing was live this morning. Amazon list it as 1-2 months delivery.
    Guess I'll be waiting awhile before picking this up.

I ordered it from Amazon Wednesday, shipped yesterday and its in my Parcel Motel locker now.

Must have sold out real fast. Hope this sells well though but in reality there might not have been many copies for launch as the last game didn't do too well.

Actually Amazon have 13 in stock now through 3rd party seller.

I've noticed that a lot of your posts are about how the PS4 can't do native 4K.
    PC Master Race wha!!! :pac:
    It's only sad cos it's true! (I'd struggle to hit 4k30fps with my current rig tbh)
    It's mainly for HDR than 4K. Horizon looks amazing with HDR enabled, it's more than enough reason to get a 4K TV for the PS4. I don't care once its 1080p, I just want my HDR :)

Careful there; just because a TV has 4K doesn't mean it can also do HDR (that's a separate feature).

• Advertisement

Careful there; just because a TV has 4K doesn't mean it can also do HDR (that's a separate feature).

I know, and even then some are just HDR10 certified and not Dolby Vision HDR. Too many people falling for cheap 4K sets out there, missing out big time.

PS4 and One S are HDR10 only for time being anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looking forward to playing this tomorrow when it arrives at my Parcel Motel, should keep me occupied along with Toukiden 2 till Persona comes out

A tip for anyone starting out, save at every opportunity. I've had the game end unexpectedly twice and lost about an hour both times time.

OMG what even is this gameeee :eek:

So many interesting moments and I'm not even 10hrs into it!

It's pretty good alright. I got to the perfect (I think) ending and then did a thing that wiped my save so I'm on my way there again.

If you use a spear as the heavy attack and a large sword as the light attack the light-heavy-light-light combo is interesting.

All the bad reviews on steam are stating performance issues. I'll take that as a positive overall. The game itself seems good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game is fantastic but my 1070 is chugging slightly at 1440p and I have to go through a variety of hoops and use borderless windows app to get it working full screen on my 21:9 screen.

Hope a patch c sorts it out because it really shouldn't be struggling on a 1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The game is fantastic but my 1070 is chugging slightly at 1440p and I have to go through a variety of hoops and use borderless windows app to get it working full screen on my 21:9 screen.

Hope a patch c sorts it out because it really shouldn't be struggling on a 1070.

Feck... that's not good, I've a 970 and a 1440p screen. Are you running it on Ultra?

Cina wrote: »
    Feck... that's not good, I've a 970 and a 1440p screen. Are you running it on Ultra?

The only options I saw were AA and texture filtering. Had them up full but knocked them back a notch. Still a bit chuggy though. I think it's actually improper frame pacing rather than slow down as it's always there. Response feels fine but you can see were it judders when there's no action.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I plan on picking this up at some point but is there much variety in the locations for those of you playing it? I've only watched a few videos which show the starting area.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I plan on picking this up at some point but is there much variety in the locations for those of you playing it? I've only watched a few videos which show the starting area.

Yes there is. Showing anymore would have been a spoiler. Also there's no shortage of variety in gameplay. The game changes game genre every few minutes!

Yes there is. Showing anymore would have been a spoiler. Also there's no shortage of variety in gameplay. The game changes game genre every few minutes!

Cool thanks. Yeah I spotted the
    shmup
    and
    2D
    sections and they're definitely a plus point for me.

Will keep an eye on Argos, they got bugger all copies in of it so far, not a big name release I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The PC version is a tad messy at the moment. On a 970 I'm experiencing the 1080p bug where it automatically downscales to a lower res when in full screen but is fine when windowed. Also constantly fluctuating between 59 and 60 FPS which is noticeable enough to be slightly irritating. But hey, that's boring technical stuff that'll hopefully be sorted soon.

The game itself is fine so far. A few hours in and it hasn't completely grabbed me yet, but there's enough potential there to pull me back. Combat is satisfying if not quite Bayonetta levels. World feels a tad drab, although I blame Breath of the Wild for that ;) Still, already a few quirks and oddities that I'm looking forward to seeing play out.

I think the frame pacing is the worst issue otherwise it runs fine. It's just really annoying and noticable when there's no action.

Ugh can't buy this while I'm waiting for my new bank card to arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Have they even said if they are going to patch these issues? I see nothing offical acknowledging the issues. I waited for the PC port, but now I might just get this on PS4.

Intro was fun. The constant switching of perspective seems fresh but I couldn't remember the controls to save my life between switches.
    The PC version is a tad messy at the moment. On a 970 I'm experiencing the 1080p bug where it automatically downscales to a lower res when in full screen but is fine when windowed. Also constantly fluctuating between 59 and 60 FPS which is noticeable enough to be slightly irritating. But hey, that's boring technical stuff that'll hopefully be sorted soon.

The game itself is fine so far. A few hours in and it hasn't completely grabbed me yet, but there's enough potential there to pull me back. Combat is satisfying if not quite Bayonetta levels. World feels a tad drab, although I blame Breath of the Wild for that ;) Still, already a few quirks and oddities that I'm looking forward to seeing play out.

I think I opted for 1600x900 resolution. Did you get a black border around the screen? Maybe 1-2cm

So a friend of mine finished it. Said its b probably one of the best stories in videogames. Kind of trust this guy since he was the one that got me into Persona and Atelier games. Dropped my game project to play it last night and finished the opera boss. This game game is mental but in a good way. Why aren't more people playing it!

So a friend of mine finished it. Said its b probably one of the best stories in videogames. Kind of trust this guy since he was the one that got me into Persona and Atelier games. Dropped my game project to play it last night and finished the opera boss. This game game is mental but in a good way. Why aren't more people playing it!

Refreshing Argos stock checker everyday waiting for it to come back in stock!

Watched another Jim Sterling video on it where he mentions having completed the main 5 endings - full of praise. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

• Advertisement

Did you recommend to him to do a New Game Plus?

Advertisement