Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nier Automata

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Did you recommend to him to do a New Game Plus?

He has inhaled the game over the last few days. Gotten endings A to E and the joke endings as well and now going back to it on a harder difficulty. You're basically getting a quarter of what the game offers going for the first ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Game definitely picks up in the
    funfair
    level, aesthetically anyway. Still not quite feeling entirely convinced though: the gameplay is good but not exceptional; the world feels slightly restrictive (I blame Zelda and Everything for that); and the narrative has yet to interest me as it's too loaded with convoluted, anime-style sci-fi hokum (that's pretty clunkily told at that). There's definite quirks and hints of more interesting stuff, although just don't think it has settled into anything really special yet. We'll see :)
    I think I opted for 1600x900 resolution. Did you get a black border around the screen? Maybe 1-2cm

I don't think I had a black border, but was definitely not full 1080p. This fix sorted it out: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-23-nier-automata-receives-unofficial-pc-patch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a little messy and not quite as polished as what you would usually expect from Platinum but I'm enjoying it because it feels like something from the PS1/2 era, experimental and weird and not focus tested and bland like a lot of triple A games.

It's a bit like Last Guardian in a way, except actually fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

I bought this video game some days ago and boss fights are really awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Working through the third playthrough. Holy crap. This game. So glad I went for this over Mass Effect Andromeda.

Edit : finished the game last night. Never had an experience like it in gaming. I was gobsmacked.

• Advertisement

Lots of things I dislike about this game on paper but can't put it down. These glowing reviews are helping push me on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Really want to pick this up. Hasn't been in stock in Argos at all. Not paying €70 for a game elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Really want to pick this up. Hasn't been in stock in Argos at all. Not paying €70 for a game elsewhere.

Order it online?

I reduced the difficulty to easy in the old factory (become a God...) as I ran out of health packs and wasn't arsed back tracking. The game plays itself. It's hilariously easy.

The difficulty is a bit of a joke. Except on very Hard, then it's just stupid - 1 shot kill.

Also, the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in any game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I reduced the difficulty to easy in the old factory (become a God...) as I ran out of health packs and wasn't arsed back tracking. The game plays itself. It's hilariously easy.
    You should try getting some offensive heal (percentage of damage dealt heals) and auto heal (starts healing if you haven't been hit in the last 6 seconds) chips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some of the sub quests in this are absolutely dreadful. The Jean Claude one was bad enough even before I had to go visit his fans again :(

Most of them are mindless fetch quests, and even with often quirky details it's just not enough.

The first game kind of had bad fetch quests like that and made some meta commentary about it, wouldn't be surprised if this is the same... but then bad game design is still bad game design.

When I saw I had to go all the way to the desert and back again for the Jean Claude one, that was a 'Really!??' moment for me.

Riiiiight. Just saw the credits roll for the first time... maybe I didn't do enough side quests but I'm still completely in dark of what is going on tbh

And I just witnessed another credits roll, presumably the joke one :pac:

There's 26 endings, all but
    have the sped up text.

Frankly, I couldn't be arsed going through this again. Interesting idea yet lazy at the same time. I've never been a fan of "New Game +". I might replay an exceptional game again in a few years but never immediately afterwards. I understand that this second play through is probably quite different but I made it as far as the desert and it's got the same problems. I somewhat sped through it the first time around hoping it would pick up but it didn't. The environments are drab, characters enigmas, combat repetitive, story obtuse, music fantastic; overall a slight thumbs down from me but I probably haven't experienced the best of it. The core of it just isn't enjoyable enough to warrant the slog.

I understand that this second play through is probably quite different
    It's not really. The second ending is essentially just a perspective flip but there's much more after that.

Agreed. Once the second ending is achieved everything changes. I haven't been sent into a post game depression since Undertale and this one made me question (briefly!) if I wanted to play any other game after that.

In the latest episode of Consolevania on Patreon, they say it's one of the best games they've ever played, and those guys know their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Is this still unoptimised on pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I believe so (I haven't had a chance to get it yet) but there's an unofficial fan patch which solves a lot of the issues I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone get the platnium trophy? How many play throughs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Think its 3 minimum, then you can use level select and save games to get the rest. There's 26 endings.

5 of those endings are the "big" ones, the rest are joke endings. 20 of them are very easy to get, 1 is quite hard.

Once you get the main endings you can unlock a shop in game that sells trophies. I used it to get the upgrade all pods trophy but got everything else normally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Evade wrote: »
    Once you get the main endings you can unlock a shop in game that sells trophies. I used it to get the upgrade all pods trophy but got everything else normally.

I was reading about that shop, if you buy the trophies though is that considered cheating I wonder? if you're on a site like psn profiles.

I was reading about that shop, if you buy the trophies though is that considered cheating I wonder? if you're on a site like psn profiles.
    Possibly, do they track play time? Anyone getting the platinum in around 30 hours most likely bought the trophies.

Did anyone else do the thing in ending E?

I did the thing. No hesitation. Then I started again to work towards quests, as well as see the story in a whole new light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Seen 3 reviews saying its a masterpiece and giving it 10 out of 10s. I'm very dubious obviously but was thinking of getting it coz I havent played a game in a while.

Only thing is my 750 ti probably would die to get me 30 fps, I've got 32 gigs of ram and a decent i7. Anyone any experience with the lower end cards?

Advertisement