Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nier Automata

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a crappy port but the fan patch fixes all the issues particularly the awful frame pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Evade wrote: »
    If you're close to the end with 9S stick with it because mild
    the story continues past the ending you get with 2B.

I found 9S a lot easier to use, just hack everything, but it isn't quite as much fun.

9S campaign is a lot faster too; you don't have to redo the side missions with him since they're already marked.
    And it gets crazy good once you reach a certain point & meet A2...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I might pick it up again when it's cheaper, i've a habit of completing all side quests before advancing the main story, and i got bored of the same ones again (especially that slutty robot quest... ugh).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I might pick it up again when it's cheaper, i've a habit of completing all side quests before advancing the main story, and i got bored of the same ones again (especially that slutty robot quest... ugh).
    I think you'll only get the same quest again if you didn't complete it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Hoping this will go on sale on ps4 soon.

Physical copies were around 30 quid when I bought it a month or so ago.

• Advertisement

Finally got back around to completing this, WHAT A STORY!

Now all I have left is the damn-hard secret "Y" ending and I can
    replay to Ending E and let the game delete my save files forever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

megaten wrote: »
    Physical copies were around 30 quid when I bought it a month or so ago.

I'm hoping this turns up on 12 days of Xmas sale :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I tried to get into this multiple times and just found it painfully dull. The world was bland, the quests were MMO fetch, the combat was 2d dimensional (literally, at times). The graphics were crap (and awfully optimized for PC)

What am I missing here? It was sh*te!

Cina wrote: »
    I tried to get into this multiple times and just found it painfully dull. The world was bland, the quests were MMO fetch, the combat was 2d dimensional (literally, at times). The graphics were crap (and awfully optimized for PC)

There are a minority who agree. Apparently you have to get to the third play through before it really gets good. Good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There are a minority who agree. Apparently you have to get to the third play through before it really gets good. Good luck with that!

Really? Sounds like the most hipster, up it's own arse thing I've heard about a videogame recently.

Was gonna look to get it if it was one of PSN's Christmas deals but that has put me right off it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game has major problems but the experience is worth it.

But you have to put up with a lot of **** as well. I loved it but the issues with the combat and fetch quests are warranted.

It's a better 7/10 game than most 9/10 games 😂

J. Marston wrote: »
    Really? Sounds like the most hipster, up it's own arse thing I've heard about a videogame recently.

Was gonna look to get it if it was one of PSN's Christmas deals but that has put me right off it.

You might like the core of the game more than me though. There are 5 main run throughs. I got about a third of the way through the second one and dropped it. The first two runs are apparently almost identical. Exact same ****ty game again? No thanks.

Cina wrote: »

The combat gets better once you start getting chips which let you do more (e.g. dodge offset / Witch time style, taunt combos, etc).
    Graphics are fine once you use the FAR mod, if you don't like the art style that's on you though.

Nier:Automata is the only game this year where, in the middle of a boss fight, it did something that made me go "WOW!" and I had to stop and start talking about it with my friend because of how amazing it was.

And it's made by Japanese crazy people, not pretentious hipsters (the good-crazy kind).
    You might like the core of the game more than me though. There are 5 main run throughs. I got about a third of the way through the second one and dropped it. The first two runs are apparently almost identical. Exact same ****ty game again? No thanks.

Route B is
    the same story from a different perspective. You don't have to re-do your side missions & it's much faster (less than half the length of Route A). Also since you're playing as 9S the gameplay is slightly different (hacking instead of swords). They converge naturally, and Route C will then show you a whole different story/the true end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you haven't warned to the game by playthrough 2, then I'd be surprised if you did later on - the later sections just mix and match the gameplay elements introduced earlier, sometimes pretty much identically (e.g. the schmup sections). The game has played all its main gameplay cards by the time you're a little into playthrough 2, and there's just a lot of tedious hack n slashing, hacking (oh god the hacking - an utterly painful mechanic that only gets less tolerable as the game progresses) and backtracking to get through after that. IMO none of the gameplay strands are interesting, and rather than the different styles mixing things up, they're all just mildly irritating in their own way. The chip system belongs in a far worthier game!

It's an aggressively repetitive game, and while the most satisfying narrative beats are later on, they're neither interesting nor revelatory enough to justify the huge amount of time the game spends spinning its wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Having played both Zelda BOTW and Nier: Automata, I am convinced that Zelda will win the Game of the Year award (I know, controversial); however, in terms of narrative, Nier is up there with Undertale in terms of best story and emotional investment of the last 10 years of gaming. Be it the soundtrack, the gut punches, or the almost Spec Ops: the Line's level of meta-narrative, this has it all. What Remains of Edith Finch was similarly engrossing, but when you add Platinum's kinetic gameplay, it elevates the experience, at least for a while. I'll fully concede that the game drags in terms of the core gameplay loop over multiple playthroughs, but I will disagree with the above that the narrative pay off doesn't compensate. For me, it does and so much more. When I remember Nier: Automata, it won't be the fetch quests, or the samey Bayonetta-lite combat, it's the frequent jaw dropping moments throughout the game. The fact that the story can paper over said cracks and also be spine-chilling in places (literally had to get up and walk around the room at the end in disbelief), leaves me to believe Yoko Taro is some kind of god, here to save us from AAA bull**** and multiplayer sh*te.

My GOTY, no question.

(Also, being in the top 10 reviewed games of 2017 on OpenCritic leads me to believe I'm not taking crazy pills!)

Bonus, 2B has the most beautifully rendered arse in videogame history.

Discovered this tool, gonna try it out later:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890543121

For saving disk space.

Still waiting for this go on sale for PS4.

I think it's ok to post these now (major spoilers!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still waiting for this go on sale for PS4.

Same here! 40 is the lowest I've seen it.

• Advertisement

On sale finally on PSN for €35 so got it.

Still early on but the combat is so satisfying. The open world is pretty bland but I can tolerate it since the gameplay is great. Customising your chips is awesome too, can try loads of different loadouts.

On sale finally on PSN for €35 so got it.

Still early on but the combat is so satisfying. The open world is pretty bland but I can tolerate it since the gameplay is great. Customising your chips is awesome too, can try loads of different loadouts.

Got it too, 35 euro, great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

When the offer up lads downloading the demo now

When the offer up lads downloading the demo now

April 5th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

If it hasn't been mentioned already the original Nier is a wonderful game. Automata was a good sequel but I liked the original a great deal more even if it feels a bit shambolic in parts.

If it hasn't been mentioned already the original Nier is a wonderful game. Automata was a good sequel but I liked the original a great deal more even if it feels a bit shambolic in parts.

It's the best 7/10 game you will ever play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Picked this up from the PS4 store as it was on sale.

Have to say it feels proper old school, I love how the camera shifts from one part to the other, even in the boss fights.

I'm only about 2 hours in, and I've beaten the Amusement boss and discovered the village.

Great fun so far.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Picked this up from the PS4 store as it was on sale.

Have to say it feels proper old school, I love how the camera shifts from one part to the other, even in the boss fights.

I'm only about 2 hours in, and I've beaten the Amusement boss and discovered the village.

Great fun so far.
    Whatever you do, try to avoid reading story spoilers.
    Also don't feel obliged to do every side mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Played the demo earlier and ya I think I'm gonna buy this tonight :)

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Whatever you do, try to avoid reading story spoilers.
    Also don't feel obliged to do every side mission.

But I want to though.

Also, after seeing a few more environments, I'm convinced the graphics department blew their budget on 2B, her dress and boots and then realised they had about 100 quid left for the rest.

Advertisement