Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nier Automata

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As much as I love the game, I'm not sure I'll make it through route B. Not even at the resistance camp yet and I'm sick of the hacking game. Tempted to just look up the difference in cutscenes and endings. Also, cex are offering 22 cash for it and I bought it for 21 so the temptation is there to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

That would be a mistake A and B are practically the same C is a completely different. Stick with the main quests and get to the end as quickly as possible.

Evade wrote: »
    That would be a mistake A and B are practically the same C is a completely different. Stick with the main quests and get to the end as quickly as possible.

I suppose I could drop it to easy and speedrun b. I heard c was different alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As much as I love the game, I'm not sure I'll make it through route B. Not even at the resistance camp yet and I'm sick of the hacking game. Tempted to just look up the difference in cutscenes and endings. Also, cex are offering 22 cash for it and I bought it for 21 so the temptation is there to sell it.

Nooooooooooooo, don't do it.

If your enjoying the game so far don't let B put you off. Its definitely the worst playthrough and to be honest not the best decision to have players play through the same levels straight after finishing them, albeit from a different perspective.

There's so much more the game has to offer after route B. The first 2 playthroughs should really be considered kind of extended prologues. It's a whole other game after route B.

I ploughed through route B and actually got to like the protagonist a lot more during it. Its a fast enough playthrough if you just stick to main story quests and its surprising how fast hacking will take a boss down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a contrast, I’d say the game doesn’t massively improve later on. There’s definitely strong narrative and character bits in the back half of the game, but the gameplay remains pretty tedious throughout and most of the tricks have been unveiled earlier on. The hacking mini-game is truly irritating and only gets worse, although there is some additional complexity added much later on.

I should stress the game never properly hooked me in the first place, and I was never really able to get over some of its lacklustre gameplay. But I also don’t agree the game changes significantly later on either... there was certainly nothing to change my mind, and there’s a LOT of game to get through. For IMO, the rewards - as I said earlier in the thread, there’s a handful of high points - didn’t justify the grind.

• Advertisement

Well the B route is going quick on easy with auto fire and evade turned. I'll see how far I get anyway.

As a contrast, I’d say the game doesn’t massively improve later on. There’s definitely strong narrative and character bits in the back half of the game, but the gameplay remains pretty tedious throughout and most of the tricks have been unveiled earlier on. The hacking mini-game is truly irritating and only gets worse, although there is some additional complexity added much later on.

I should stress the game never properly hooked me in the first place, and I was never really able to get over some of its lacklustre gameplay. But I also don’t agree the game changes significantly later on either... there was certainly nothing to change my mind, and there’s a LOT of game to get through. For IMO, the rewards - as I said earlier in the thread, there’s a handful of high points - didn’t justify the grind.

I'd agree that by the second playthrough there are no real additions in terms of gameplay mechanics but in terms of the direction the game takes I thought it was really good and definitely unique.

I found myself thinking I'll just play 30 mins of the next playthrough and then give it a break and play something else, but I kept getting dragged in for hours playing as I genuinely wanted to see what direction the game took next.

I absolutely enjoyed the whole experience and would probably put it in my top 3 games ever. I just loved the way the game was put together and found it mixed up a lot of the styles of my favorite games down through the years. Also the changes in gameplay mechanics are done really well.

Its not perfect and a lot of the side quests can be boring fetch quests but as an overall experience I don't think I've ever had anything like it in gaming and probably won't again for a very long time.

In contract, I Gameshare with my brother and he hasn't really got into it at all. Different strokes I guess.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well the B route is going quick on easy with auto fire and evade turned. I'll see how far I get anyway.

Was going quick until I got a glitch in the carnival world where the rollercoaster wouldn't progress and I hadn't saved since the desert. Will be quick enough to get back but was enough to make me turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Lads what's the story with saving or checkpoints in this game? I played for about an hour this morning. Got to a boss (big robot with 2 buzz saws). Got to a point where its arm was off and I was shooting at its head. I reckon three or four hits would have done it. Alarm on phone went off. I took eye off screen for a few seconds to switch it off and when I looked back up I was dead. Game then started from the very beginning again. Pissed is an understatement. Did I miss a checkpoint somewhere or what?

Manual saves.

• Advertisement

Manual saves.

I didn't have that option? I had checked and presumed I would find a save point at some stage because of this.

It's in the pause menu.

It's in the pause menu.

Had a quick Google (should probably have done that first), doesn't become available until after that boss apparently. That whole area is considered a prologue or tutorial and saving isn't allowed until you finish it. Given the length of it that seems a bit daft. I'll push through it again, liked the gameplay so far.

Had a quick Google (should probably have done that first), doesn't become available until after that boss apparently. That whole area is considered a prologue or tutorial and saving isn't allowed until you finish it. Given the length of it that seems a bit daft. I'll push through it again, liked the gameplay so far.

Your right, no save until prologue over. Learned the hard way myself. Started game when install wasn't finished but turns out it won't let you save or progress any further after prologue if not fully installed.

Finished prologue first time but couldn't save. Tried rush through it again and died at end so just put it on easy for the 3rd effort as I couldn't handle dying at the end and starting over a 4th time.

Great game

Finished first route. Probably one of the weirdest games I've played. Went from utter boredom to heart pounding combat in the blink of an eye. Only did a few side quests but found them tedious to play (seemed to be nothing but fetch quests). All things considered I enjoyed it but the camera led to a lot of frustration and deaths. It really ramped it up when you returned to the factory, that was insane. I'll give a second play through a go. Need something to keep my attention till Spiderman comes out. Hope game play changes a bit as promised.

Finished first route. Probably one of the weirdest games I've played. Went from utter boredom to heart pounding combat in the blink of an eye. Only did a few side quests but found them tedious to play (seemed to be nothing but fetch quests). All things considered I enjoyed it but the camera led to a lot of frustration and deaths. It really ramped it up when you returned to the factory, that was insane. I'll give a second play through a go. Need something to keep my attention till Spiderman comes out. Hope game play changes a bit as promised.

The 2nd run through is pretty similar to first with slightly different perspective on the story and more hacking. A lot of folks seem to find it the least interesting, especially if you don't like the hacking mini-game. I flew through it, its a lot quicker than the first.

Game really ramps up again after that playthrough then.

skerry wrote: »
    The 2nd run through is pretty similar to first with slightly different perspective on the story and more hacking. A lot of folks seem to find it the least interesting, especially if you don't like the hacking mini-game. I flew through it, its a lot quicker than the first.

Game really ramps up again after that playthrough then.
    I found it quicker too. If you like or are good at the hacking minigame you'll fly through.

3rd play through required to actually see the game through in terms of story.

3rd play through to see story through to completion? Not sure what to make of that haha. I've noticed the hacking seems to be the main of focus of the second play through already. I don't particularly mind it though it's hardly exciting stuff. I left it after finishing the tutorial area from 9S perspective so I'll continue onwards later on.

Are some of the side quests still available that I didn't pick up first time? I could only upgrade my weapons once first play through so presume I need to complete a good few sides to get the upgrade components.

3rd play through to see story through to completion? Not sure what to make of that haha. I've noticed the hacking seems to be the main of focus of the second play through already. I don't particularly mind it though it's hardly exciting stuff. I left it after finishing the tutorial area from 9S perspective so I'll continue onwards later on.

Are some of the side quests still available that I didn't pick up first time? I could only upgrade my weapons once first play through so presume I need to complete a good few sides to get the upgrade components.
    The third playthrough is different timeline
    it continues on after when the first two end
    . First and Second is pretty much the same following 2B and 9S' point of view then it changes.

You can do all the sidequests again.

• Advertisement

About to start third route. I flew through the second but ended up really disliking the hacking mini games. Unless forced to do otherwise I just engaged in combat as 9S. Looking forward to this playthrough as heard its the best of them.

Beginning of third route was driving me crazy. Where screen goes
    green or red when you're trying to fight enemies was a stupid idea. Dunno if there was something there I was supposed to focus on or see but as I'm colour blind I couldn't see a thing.
    Hope that doesn't happen again or I'll just put it aside and play something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just started this. The permadeath intro had me playing the prologue with anxiety rather than intrigue like I think it would have hoped but it's doable. This game could go either way for me - either weird and wonderful or really irritating and self indulgent.

Don't worry, the game isn't as hard as a Soulsborne game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There is no permadeath apart from the first mission (prologue).
    It will make sense once you unlock the ability to save.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Soulsbourne games aren't permadeath though :confused:

Advertisement