Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed problem

Options
  • 07-03-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently moved back into my home in Galway city after being a few years broad. I have been told that we have a major japanese knotweed infestation which as far as I know has not affected the min building.

I have googled information on this but would appreciate any information on how to treat this problem and whether I could od it myself or call in an experienced landscaper.

thanks
    BC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dig all

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently moved back into my home in Galway city after being a few years broad. I have been told that we have a major japanese knotweed infestation which as far as I know has not affected the min building.

I have googled information on this but would appreciate any information on how to treat this problem and whether I could od it myself or call in an experienced landscaper.

thanks
    BC

Hi there, iwould contact the dep of agriculture and explain the situation to them and they could come out and see how much of it you have firstly . It could be costly as special contractors can only deal with Japanese knotweed . In some instances topsoil has to be screened to get all roots out . Hope this helps . Best of luck getting rid if it !

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Dig all wrote: »
    Hi there, iwould contact the dep of agriculture and explain the situation to them and they could come out and see how much of it you have firstly . It could be costly as special contractors can only deal with Japanese knotweed . In some instances topsoil has to be screened to get all roots out . Hope this helps . Best of luck getting rid if it !

Thanks...I have a friend who recommended a contractor who sorted it out for him but i have no idea of the extent of it. I'm prepared for the garden to be ripped up...it needs to be anyway!! The tenants while I was gone didn't exactly care too much for the garden and I was planning a complete overhaul of it soon.

contacting the Dep of agriculture can't hurt I suppose, although I didn't think they would assess private situations like ours

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

They most likely will as they'll want to ensure it is dealt with appropriately. As mentioned above only certain contractors are licenced to work with Jap Knotweed due to its nature. It has to be dealt with properly and disposed of properly to avoid a re-emergence or an infestation elsewhere.

Best of luck with it.

They most likely will as they'll want to ensure it is dealt with appropriately. As mentioned above only certain contractors are licenced to work with Jap Knotweed due to its nature. It has to be dealt with properly and disposed of properly to avoid a re-emergence or an infestation elsewhere.

Best of luck with it.

Just contacted the Dept of Agri in Galway and they said I should cal City Council...hmmm. Will see what they say, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I contacted our local CoCo and they were less than helpful - everyone tried to fob me off to another Dept., saying it was not their area and when I got the office of the one who had responsibility, he was either out, wouldn't answer the phone or wouldn't return calls. That was my experience.

Certain landscapers know how to effectively treat JK, others have a theoretical knowledge of how to do it and others say they have the means and brains but have never attempted. Find a garden centre that deals with a lot of landscapers, go to them and ask if they could recommend someone but make sure to ask if they've successfully treated JK before.

• Advertisement

I contacted our local CoCo and they were less than helpful - everyone tried to fob me off to another Dept., saying it was not their area and when I got the office of the one who had responsibility, he was either out, wouldn't answer the phone or wouldn't return calls. That was my experience.

Certain landscapers know how to effectively treat JK, others have a theoretical knowledge of how to do it and others say they have the means and brains but have never attempted. Find a garden centre that deals with a lot of landscapers, go to them and ask if they could recommend someone but make sure to ask if they've successfully treated JK before.

Called them last week and this has been my experience too. Department of agriculture pretty much laughed at me and said to get in touch with the city council who (after numerous calls) told me to basically sort it out myself despite the fact it could be spreading to an historical area in the city. :rolleyes::mad:

Thanks for the advice...I have someone who has been recommended by a friend who sorted out his knotweed problem

Advertisement