Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching workhouse records

Options
  • 07-03-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Is is possibly to search workhouse records? For example, according to a death cert, a man I think is my grandfather died in Enniscorthy Workhouse in 1916. Are there any records for such records that might confirm this?

I tried at http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/ but I'm not sure I'm in the right place as workhouses don't appear in the "Person/institution" dropdown.

Thanks,

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi Ocean,
    Generally records are held in the appropriate county - your best chance is to check here for Eniscorthy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Findmypast has some workhouse records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do the admissions records to the workhouse/county home also record the date of death in the event that person died inside?
    Or were 'ins' and 'outs' recorded separately with no correlation between them?
    (Mods please create a new thread if this isn't an appropriate place to ask)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There are different types of workhouse records. Usually they do show if a death took place inside.

Each entry into the workhouse would be recorded separately but often it will say if they've previously been in.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

oceanclub wrote: »
    Is is possibly to search workhouse records? For example, according to a death cert, a man I think is my grandfather died in Enniscorthy Workhouse in 1916. Are there any records for such records that might confirm this?

I tried at http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/ but I'm not sure I'm in the right place as workhouses don't appear in the "Person/institution" dropdown.

Thanks,

P.
    Surely the first port of call would be the GRO records? his death would be registered there, and it would give details including address and place of death. Also remember that the workhouses also served as hospitals, so his being 'in' would not suggest total poverty - he might have had TB for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The admission records for the Workhouses in Co Wexford no longer survive; the minutes books are held by the Wexford County Archives - see details at http://wexfordcountyarchive.com/family-history/ - these may refer to individuals.

The National Archives have admission registers & minute books for Dublin, Rathdown, Sligo -

Findmypast has these archives:
    Clare Poor Law Unions Board Of Guardians Minute Books
    Dublin Poor Law Unions Board Of Guardians Minute Books
    Dublin Workhouses Admission & Discharge Registers 1840-1919
    Ireland Poor Law Reports
    Sligo Workhouse Admission and Discharge Registers 1848-1859

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Surely the first port of call would be the GRO records? his death would be registered there, and it would give details including address and place of death. Also remember that the workhouses also served as hospitals, so his being 'in' would not suggest total poverty - he might have had TB for example.

Some of the GRO death records I'm looking at (Thomastown) don't include an address/townland unfortunately.

Advertisement