Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raspberry Pi Zero W nice for IoT!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Stoner wrote: »

I built a few IoT thingies with Pi Zeros, only hassle footprint wise being the wifi dongle - remember thinking to myself how great it would be if they integrated wifi like the Pi3. Too late for my projects but awesome none the less :)

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

dazberry wrote: »
    I built a few IoT thingies with Pi Zeros

Can you share some of the things you have used them for? Looking for a suitable use-case that would justify me getting one :D

beanian wrote: »
    Can you share some of the things you have used them for? Looking for a suitable use-case that would justify me getting one :D

I detailed some of my plans here.

Since then I've built:
    2x USB Relay (turns on and off usb devices - for usb lamps)
    1x Temp + LDR
    1x PIR + Camera
    1x LDR + 433mhz transmitter (can turn on and off maplin sockets)

While it's fun putting together the hardware - I'm well behind on the software - have the relays working via python and am trying to built out a cloud solution to having them all talk to each other. Just difficult to get a good run at it all. But it's a fun project never the less - more of a journey than a destination :)

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

dazberry wrote: »
    I detailed some of my plans here.

Since then I've built:
    2x USB Relay (turns on and off usb devices - for usb lamps)
    1x Temp + LDR
    1x PIR + Camera
    1x LDR + 433mhz transmitter (can turn on and off maplin sockets)

While it's fun putting together the hardware - I'm well behind on the software - have the relays working via python and am trying to built out a cloud solution to having them all talk to each other. Just difficult to get a good run at it all. But it's a fun project never the less - more of a journey than a destination :)

D.

I know its pretty late to day, but all of these other than the camera one could be achieved with a $3 arduino (which also has wifi built in)

I know its too late for those projects, but I think its worth picking up a couple of these for future projects like this.

I know its pretty late to day, but all of these other than the camera one could be achieved with a $3 arduino (which also has wifi built in)

Yeah pretty cool witnessmenow thanks :). Similar things have been pointed out to me before - the thing is this project stemmed out of a Raspberry Pi B in an R2D2, and has sort of grown out of that, it had never set out to be an IoT project really, and what it's turned into is more about building out the platform as a learning exercise, improving my Python, getting a bit deeper into Azure, reinventing the wheel (badly) to a degree. Once I get to where this seems to be going it would definitely be worth a revisit on the hardware side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I bought a bunch of the Arduinos but soon moved to the ESP8266 because I could run them off battery for a couple of months for my project.

They go into deep sleep mode and wake up at specific times to send the data of whatever sensor you have connected back to somewhere.
    Sticking openhab on a raspberry pi and using cloudmqtt made it all very very simple.

Best thing is the esp8266 is under $2. Add a battery pack for $5 and a sensor for a $4 and you have a wireless wifi atmospheric station which you can then use to do whatever you want.

Oh, to have the time to get back to it...

MaceFace wrote: »
    I bought a bunch of the Arduinos but soon moved to the ESP8266 because I could run them off battery for a couple of months for my project.

A guy in work gave me an Oak that he never got to use - let the fun begin ;)

Advertisement