Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel Balancing - Anybody done this?

Options
  • 07-03-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Shane Miller (Cycling Maven's mate) has uploaded a video to YouTube, where he talks about wheel balancing. The Specialized Roval wheel near the end was horrific.

Has anyone on here done this?

Video for reference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Yes,done it with a pair of chinese 58mm carbon rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So the imbalance is caused by the valve and not a defect with the wheel itself as implied by Miller. Obviously the longer the valve the more of an imbalance there will be.

I wonder would the weight strips be as effective if they were fitted on the inside of the rim?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Out of interest, why balance bike wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

nordicb wrote: »
    Out of interest, why balance bike wheels?

Did you watch the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Sorry, it didn't appear on my work system, watched on the phone. Interesting if it really does make any difference in action...

I think he should've put the axles on top of flat bars rather than in to the trueing stand, to eliminate the bearings friction.

• Advertisement

Potential source of high speed wobbles?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

Will give it a try and report back next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

I understand the wobble when it's of ground but would there be the same wobble when on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I understand the wobble when it's of ground but would there be the same wobble when on the road?

No wobble when it's on the ground but extra resistance and thus extra power (maybe not all that much but some at least) required to rotate the wheel when there's an imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It only took 17grams to balance the wheel so I don't think it would equate into any measurable loss if 'unbalanced' wheels were being used in a race/TT considering the average rider is 65-75kg in weight (ie 3000 to 4000 times heavier than the imbalance)

The only place it may have a miniscule effect is in an ultra-smooth velodrome...possibly (but probably not)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ever driven a car with unbalanced wheels, though? again, a miniscule weight to add but can be noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

tip: when fitting a speedo magnet to spokes, always attach it to the spokes opposite the valve.
    If fitting a garmin hub speed sensor, fit it to the Hub opposite the Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I wonder how much the weights (even with added gaffer tape) affect the aero-efficiency of those deep section wheels in the video.

Advertisement