Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend good thermal socks

Options
  • 07-03-2017 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but no matter what I try I often end up with my right foot freezing cold on morning spins. My shoes are a snug (proper) fit so won't accommodate two pairs of socks or a big woolly pair of socks. I've tried wearing so called thermal cycling socks and similar running socks without any joy despite the fact I also wear BBB ArcticDuty Overshoes.

My left foot generally stays warm but my right foot freezes and its the only thing that annoys me on cold morning spins.

Any ideas? Any old wives tales I could try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but no matter what I try I often end up with my right foot freezing cold on morning spins. My shoes are a snug (proper) fit so won't accommodate two pairs of socks or a big woolly pair of socks. I've tried wearing so called thermal cycling socks and similar running socks without any joy despite the fact I also wear BBB ArcticDuty Overshoes.

My left foot generally stays warm but my right foot freezes and its the only thing that annoys me on cold morning spins.

Any ideas? Any old wives tales I could try?

I use merino socks and shoe covers and have no problems. If your shoe is too tight that could be impacting the heat of your foot.

Also try tinfoil. That supposedly helps some.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like a circulation issue more than an insulation issue, possibly?
    do you have trouble with that foot when it's not cold?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

WE had a thread on this issue a few weeks ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102619214

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Loosen the shoe, it worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I wear these playing golf and cycling through the winter. Paired with good overshoes I'm always toastie warm.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/1250412/pid1250412

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks all,

my issue is probably a combination of all of the above i.e. right shoe a little tighter than left, probably need better socks, probably need to loosen the fit a little if I can etc.

If none of that works I'll try the silver paper and if that doesn't work I'll just adhere to rule #5 as best I can :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I tried the tin foil solution. Once. When I got home the tin foil had disintegrated into millions of little slivers that took ages to remove. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I had this problem too and it turned out to be the shoe being too tight and cutting off circulation. Simply loosening the strap a bit cured the problem. Although I use Galibier toe covers on my shoes all the time now as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would you consider thermal sailing socks?

I sailed through the winter two years ago and never suffered from the cold wearing them, however they did cost 50 euro, I got them as a Christmas gift.

They were fairly thin too, think a combination of teflon and merino

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

crosstownk wrote: »
    I tried the tin foil solution. Once. When I got home the tin foil had disintegrated into millions of little slivers that took ages to remove. Never again.

Household tin foil for cooking etc is rubbish, ideally you need the foil heat blankets (like the ones given out after marathons etc etc) and cut pieces from it to use. Its much tougher and wont break up easily.

I have Aldi water proof socks which are extremely warm and I can only wear them in sub-zero temps otherwise my feet overheat and swell (which is nearly as bad as freezing feet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

If you suffer from cold feet due to poor circulation as I do, then socks make no difference, no matter how many thermal claims the manufacturer makes. The only solution that works for me is to use foot warmers. I find MyCoal to be the best brand. It's also important that your shoes are not too tight, as other posters have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Overshoes in winter and then toe covers in autumn spring are really good. Makes a big difference and not expensive at all (less than a tenner).
    Even the light/summer overshoes makes a big difference.

I found warm merino socks didn't really help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Woolie Boolies are your only man! bigger shoe as well.

Going to try some thermal socks (if they arrive as scheduled today) on Sunday along with my right shoe loosened to the max. If that doesn't work I reckon the issue must me circulation and new shoes may be required :mad:

So there thermal socks didn't arrive but I tried a combination of thin layer running socks with my normal (Lidl) cycling socks over them and the right shoe looser than normal. I still had some pins and needles in the right foot but not as much as usual. Of course it wasn't very cold for very long. We went out around 9 and by 10 it was getting quite warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'm a fan of merino socks. I use DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks often during the winter but they are relatively thick, when I want a thinner sock I use DeFeet Wooleator socks instead. I find they work well and they are reasonably priced too.

More generally though, as discussed already I too find that an overly tight shoe causes problems. But further still, I've had real problems when the arch of my foot wasn't supported well enough within the shoe. I have high arches, I've always known that but it took me ages to realise that the relatively low arch support provided by stock cycling show insoles was a source of some significant issues for me (hot spots, pins and needles, *very* sore foot, etc.). I now always buy separate high-arched insoles for my cycling shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 montyt

I have used woolie boolie for years wouldn't try anything else. Just don't tumble dry

Advertisement