Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standards at 95fm.

• 07-03-2017 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Just reading through the local obits today on 95fm.

https://www.live95fm.ie/obituaries/?rss=articles

The standard of spelling doesn't instill confidence.....amazing no-one proof reads or checks spelling, grammar etc. Amateurish effort there.

"Six Mile Bridge Formerly of Abbeyfeale Senior engineer of Claire county council......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

It's 95fm, up there with the post and the leader for journalistic standards..i.e. there are no standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya, the journalistic standard of all those three is pretty shocking. To be fair, Limerick Life is actually decent IMO, some good contributors.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Proof-reading and editing are dead. If spell-checker doesn't catch the problem then it tends to be left in. Most of the general public either doesn't notice or doesn't care.

There was an awful one on the Journal last week after that fatal crash on the motorway, where it was said that a man's car went through a fence and ended up in a "raven".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

Numerous mistakes made over the years by this crowd in 95FM very upsetting for relatives of the Deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I saw that, was wondering what a raven was! Though RTE had an online article last week too, which seemed to skip the proofing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Numerous mistakes made over the years by this crowd in 95FM very upsetting for relatives of the Deceased.

Typos and spelling mistakes are very upsetting to the relatives of the deceased? You serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Dont really listen anymore to be honest, very repetitive and the same boring presenters just doesnt do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Stab*City wrote: »
    Typos and spelling mistakes are very upsetting to the relatives of the deceased? You serious?

Considering the Oscars put up a photo of a living person during their In Memoriam segment last week, it seems standards are slipping everywhere. Oh yeah... They also forgot to proof read the Best Film.....:-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In fairness, it shows a certain lack of respect and professionalism. It must be like getting kicked when you're already down if you're mourning a loss.

RIP.ie and 95FM ballsed up my family surname when my father passed. Only found out when non locals who didn't know of 95FM struggled find his funeral arrangements on RIP. A quick call to 95fm by the undertaker had the problem sorted but the RIP post stayed the same. Not upsetting by any means but a blunder we could have done without that week.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    In fairness, it shows a certain lack of respect and professionalism. It must be like getting kicked when you're already down if you're mourning a loss.

Well as a relative of a few dead people i have never once checked the obituaries to see if they were dead. And if your a relative you probably know where and when the funeral is on. I think the only people this upsets is grammer natzi's everyone else just gets on with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wood these knot bee sent in by the Funeral Director rather that prepared bye the Station?

Also, I think there are so many variations of pronunciations and spellings of names and townlands then some of the errors would be acceptable. The Funeral Director should monitor the announcements for funeral that they are managing and request amendments of errors are made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Well as a relative of a few dead people i have never once checked the obituaries to see if they were dead. And if your a relative you probably know where and when the funeral is on. I think the only people this upsets is grammer natzi's everyone else just gets on with things.

You may not be too bothered about sensitivities relating to family bereavements and how their obituary notices and funeral notices are dealt with by the local media but the vast majority of people would like to have their deceased relatives afforded the courtesy of having their names and addresses correctly spelt on any public notices. A basic enough entitlement, I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

phog wrote: »
    Wood these knot bee sent in by the Funeral Director rather that prepared bye the Station?

Also, I think there are so many variations of pronunciations and spellings of names and townlands then some of the errors would be acceptable. The Funeral Director should monitor the announcements for funeral that they are managing and request amendments of errors are made.

How many different ways can you spell Clare as in Co. Clare and how can you spell Sixmilebridge as 6 mile bridge, then Six Mile Bridge as appeared on 95fm this morning?
    Six Mile Bridge Formerly of Abbeyfeale Senior engineer of Claire county council

A kid in senior infants would manage better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You're missing the point entirely. Many people outside chief mourners/relatives etc will not automatically know the removal, mass or burial times and locations of the deceased and certainly will not be bothering the immediate family at such a difficult time to get the details. They rely on published info that is correct. Why else are deaths published in the media and online? It's for casual mourners/acquaintances/neighbours etc to be informed so they can pay their respects (particularly in rural areas where people attend a fellow parishioners funeral even if they didn't know them well). We always checked the paper and more recently online when a relative passed away just to check how it was communicated to the public and would not be pleased to see an error/omission or if the wrong times/locations were given which may have prevented some from attending the funeral because of the incorrect info provided. That is not being pedantic or nit picking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

tippman1 wrote: »
    How many different ways can you spell Clare as in Co. Clare and how can you spell Sixmilebridge as 6 mile bridge, then Six Mile Bridge as appeared on 95fm this morning?

A kid in senior infants would manage better than this.

I haven't defended that listing, my point is that the Funeral Directors should check all published obituaries and have errors rectified. They get the bulk of the income from a funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I have yet to meet anyone that actually enjoys the Mark and Catriona breakfast show. Listening to it is like Chinese Watee Torture to me.

panda100 wrote: »
    I have yet to meet anyone that actually enjoys the Mark and Catriona breakfast show. Listening to it is like Chinese Watee Torture to me.

Are they still presenting it?! We bought a portable CD player for my mother's car in 2005 so we wouldn't have to listen to them on the car radio driving to school. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

panda100 wrote: »

It seems like they play the same ten songs over and over.

Live95 was my breakfast radio go to since the days of Dr. John but now I feel like punching my car radio every time I hear "Big Braaain Teeaser". Much prefer 4fm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It seems like they play the same ten songs over and over.

Live95 was my breakfast radio go to since the days of Dr. John but now I feel like punching my car radio every time I hear "Big Braaain Teeaser". Much prefer 4fm now.

That's every presenter on 95fm. If you listen regularly enough you will know pretty much every song that will be played every day. The annoying part to that is they play songs from all different eras which gives them a huge selection to choose from but they still bang out the same songs over and over again. It seems like pure laziness to me and I can't understand how someone who owns/runs the stations allows it. Ok they get good listenership figures but I reckon most just listen to get local news.

• Advertisement

RIP.ie and 95FM ballsed up my family surname when my father passed. Only found out when non locals who didn't know of 95FM struggled find his funeral arrangements on RIP. A quick call to 95fm by the undertaker had the problem sorted but the RIP post stayed the same. Not upsetting by any means but a blunder we could have done without that week.

Obviously its not a good thing don't get me wrong but I'm just saying there are things more important than typos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

grammer natzi's

well played :D

Obviously its not a good thing don't get me wrong but I'm just saying there are things more important than typos.

Of course, but as I said, it was something we could have done without that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Local media in Limerick is pure amateur hour tripe. Across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Local media in Limerick is pure amateur hour tripe. Across the board.

Yes i mostly listen to music online today much better choice.

Advertisement