Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Market Value of a Liquor Licence

Options
  • 07-03-2017 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where I might get an accurate market value for a 7 day liquor licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Be curious to find out we have an on and off sales license in Scotland and its £700/year which seems crazy cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,225 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Surely quite a few in the trade would have a fair idea if you ask around.

For some reason, 60k is the figure in my head but that's just a guess / might have seen it some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

jimmii wrote: »
    Be curious to find out we have an on and off sales license in Scotland and its £700/year which seems crazy cheap!

I'd imagine that's the annual licence renewal fee. In Ireland, it varies depending on turnover. Starts at €250 for a turnover of less than €190,500. Off licence element would be additional to that too.

However, it is the price of initially acquiring the licence that my OP relates to. They seem to have dropped substantially in the last number of years which makes sense considering the overall state of the industry in rural areas and towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

We sold a pub licence last year for 56k.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that's the annual licence renewal fee. In Ireland, it varies depending on turnover. Starts at €250 for a turnover of less than €190,500. Off licence element would be additional to that too.

However, it is the price of initially acquiring the licence that my OP relates to. They seem to have dropped substantially in the last number of years which makes sense considering the overall state of the industry in rural areas and towns.

Yeh it is not sure what the initial fee was as it was a while ago but looking at our council the max fee for premises with over £140k rateable value is only £1500 and then £900/year it's some difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yeh it is not sure what the initial fee was as it was a while ago but looking at our council the max fee for premises with over £140k rateable value is only £1500 and then £900/year it's some difference.

The main difference is you can just rock up to the council/court and apply for a license, there's no requirement for you to go and buy one off someone else at the start.

Graham wrote: »
    The main difference is you can just rock up to the council/court and apply for a license, there's no requirement for you to go and buy one off someone else at the start.

So you have to buy the license from the current holder and then go through the actual application process?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

So you have to buy the license from the current holder and then go through the actual application process?

Yes my understanding is that no new liquor licences are issued in Ireland but you can purchase them from, for instance, a pub that has closed down. Supply/Demand dictates how much these go for but they would have decreased in the past 10 years due to the number of rural pub's closing around the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes my understanding is that no new liquor licences are issued in Ireland but you can purchase them from, for instance, a pub that has closed down.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Or at least it was last time I looked into it.

New licenses (as opposed to transferred) are few and far between, there's something about them being tied to increases in population in the town/parish. Tallaght was given to me as an example of an area underserved by pubs for a long while because of this policy.

I also vaguely recall something about the license being transferred had to remain in the same parish but that was relaxed relatively recently.

It's an absolutely archaic system that completely stymied competition in the past. It certainly goes part of the way to explaining the high prices of drink and established pubs.

There are (were) exceptions for hotels of a minimum size, 24 bedrooms in Dublin, 12 outside. I think these are licensed by Bord Failte.

That's the gist of it anyway, even if my recall isn't 100% :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement