Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect fees

Options
  • 07-03-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, looking for an architect to do design concept on an existing house that we're looking to buy. Hoping to put 80-100k into extension and internal renovations. What should I expect to pay for concept design with/without survey???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Hi i'm in the middle of doing something similar.
    Extension and interior rennovation of existing 3 bed semi in dublin.
    Got 2 quotes:
    First quote:
    1. Survey 900
    2. Sketch Scheme 2000

Second quote:
    1. Feasability/Initial sketch design: 1750
    2. Scheme design: 1500

Prices are ex vat
    I went with the second one (because I was more convinced by him and his prices on the latter stages made him cheaper overall);
    part 1 was him coming up with a few design options and us choosing one. It included the survey of existing house.
    What he gave us was simply floor plans detailing where doors/walls/windows would be.

Part 2 was developing that design and costing it. Had to pay I think 350 ex VAT for a QS too at this stage.
    What he gave us here was a more detailed floor plan with more accurate measurements. And a model done up in CAD with elevations etc.

When you look at what you have afterwards (at that stage) you would want to be going on building it because its a lot of money for a couple of pictures on a page. i.e. You would probably want to wait til you have at least signed the contracts before you start shelling out.

You may get someone to do a less formal meeting at the house to explain what you could do with it for a couple of hundred euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mapo7

Thanks.

Got quote of 2200 ex vat for draft design excluding survey, thought it was excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Redcat75

We just got our engineer who is also an architect to draw up plans ( don't know the proper lingo ) for a house we have just gone sale agreed on and he was 500, based in Limerick/ Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Just in same boat, design options 2100 (site visit, drawings (we have none so this is needed), 3 options). happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Redcat75 wrote:
    We just got our engineer who is also an architect to draw up plans ( don't know the proper lingo ) for a house we have just gone sale agreed on and he was 500, based in Limerick/ Tipperary.

Can you pm me your engineer details please? Is the job finished yet and would you recommend him/her? Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement