Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Usage Policy

Options
  • 07-03-2017 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

So I managed to go over the limit in my unlimited plan, in the shortest month of the year.  I wasn't aware there was a limit or FUP, in my "unlimited" plan.
    Edit: the FUP is 1000GB, and I managed to use 1200GB in the month

Here's the text on the website: (https://www.eir.ie/extreme/)
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial][font=GT-Walsheim-Bold, "Arial Bold"]eir Fibre Extreme broadband[/font][/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Extreme fibre broadband delivers speeds up to 1,000Mb, that’s almost 10 times faster than our fibre broadband, and over 40 times faster than standard broadband with absolutely no usage limits. Unlimited broadband means you and your whole family can shop, stream and download as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit.
    Subject to a fair usage cap, don’t worry the usage cap will cover even the largest family.[/font]

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial](I have added the bold highlights)[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Wondering how Eir can advertise such a thing and get away with it?  Surely there's advertising standards in breach here???[/font]

Comments

Mickalus wrote: »
    So I managed to go over the limit in my unlimited plan, in the shortest month of the year.  I wasn't aware there was a limit or FUP, in my "unlimited" plan.
    Edit: the FUP is 1000GB, and I managed to use 1200GB in the month

Here's the text on the website: (https://www.eir.ie/extreme/)
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial][font=GT-Walsheim-Bold,]eir Fibre Extreme broadband[/font][/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Extreme fibre broadband delivers speeds up to 1,000Mb, that’s almost 10 times faster than our fibre broadband, and over 40 times faster than standard broadband with absolutely no usage limits. Unlimited broadband means you and your whole family can shop, stream and download as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit.
    Subject to a fair usage cap, don’t worry the usage cap will cover even the largest family.[/font]

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial](I have added the bold highlights)[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Wondering how Eir can advertise such a thing and get away with it?  Surely there's advertising standards in breach here???[/font]
    Eir Wont budge, currently in a legal dispute myself in regards to this very fact.  They will refer you to their hidden terms and conditions buried in their site.

Put a complaint in with Comreg and the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.  They are currently investigating this for me, in regards to the consumer protection Act 2007 which states that misleading advertising means advertising that deceives or is likely to deceive anyone that sees it,  and EU law that also ensure that misleading advertising is forbidden in all Member States. Under SI 134/1988 (European Communities (Misleading Advertising) Regulations, 1988).

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Let me ask this of Eir then, 

I was under the impression I was on an unlimited plan, based on the language such as quoted in my original post. Many others I have discussed this with are also under the same impression. Everywhere on the My Eir site, states I am on an unlimited plan, including the page where Eir show you your monthly usage.

I would like to lodge a complaint with Eir first and foremost via this forum to state that the language is misleading and contradictory and in my opinion should either A) have the unlimited terminology be removed, or B) have the FUP removed.

I spoke with someone via webchat earlier and he says that the additional charges on my bill are going to be waived 'this time', so that aspect of the complaint should be handled at this point. (*I will wait and see what is actually taken from my account this month and next before this can be confirmed)

However, the language advertised is really not suitable. It's either unlimited or it's not.
    If an Eir rep needs my account number etc, I will be happy to provide. I don't see a complaints section on the my eir site to submit this complaint. 
    Can you please assist me in lodging an official complaint?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Let me ask this of Eir then, 

I was under the impression I was on an unlimited plan, based on the language such as quoted in my original post. Many others I have discussed this with are also under the same impression. Everywhere on the My Eir site, states I am on an unlimited plan, including the page where Eir show you your monthly usage.

I would like to lodge a complaint with Eir first and foremost via this forum to state that the language is misleading and contradictory and in my opinion should either A) have the unlimited terminology be removed, or B) have the FUP removed.

I spoke with someone via webchat earlier and he says that the additional charges on my bill are going to be waived 'this time', so that aspect of the complaint should be handled at this point. (*I will wait and see what is actually taken from my account this month and next before this can be confirmed)

However, the language advertised is really not suitable. It's either unlimited or it's not.
    If an Eir rep needs my account number etc, I will be happy to provide. I don't see a complaints section on the my eir site to submit this complaint. 
    Can you please assist me in lodging an official complaint?

Thanks,
    Hi

I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way & will relay your feedback to the relevant teams.

If you wish to log a formal complaint it can be done so here. If you need any further assistance please do let me know. 

Thanks,
    Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Hi

I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way & will relay your feedback to the relevant teams.

If you wish to log a formal complaint it can be done so here. If you need any further assistance please do let me know. 

Thanks,
    Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Thanks for the link. I will submit the complaint there shortly.

When you submitted the feedback to the relevant teams, did they give you any feedback as to how it's received? What is done with this feedback you provided to them on my behalf?

Re: "I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way"

Does that not make sense to anyone on your team? That you're saying pretty much everywhere with the exception of some small print that there's no limit and there actually is?????

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi

Thanks,
    Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Thanks for the link. I will submit the complaint there shortly.

When you submitted the feedback to the relevant teams, did they give you any feedback as to how it's received? What is done with this feedback you provided to them on my behalf?

Re: "I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way"

Does that not make sense to anyone on your team? That you're saying pretty much everywhere with the exception of some small print that there's no limit and there actually is?????

Thanks.

No worries Mickalus

All feedback will be passed on internally. Should you wish to receive feedback on this I would recommend submitting your request via the above link.

At point of sale you would have been required to accept the terms and conditions of your contract, which can be viewed here . A part of these terms and conditions would be a fair usage policy which the onus would have been on you to read.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
Advertisement