Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allianz insurance

• 07-03-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Car insurance is up in the next few days. Iv been getting online quotes for the last hour and they are all coming in around the €900/1000 mark (AXA, FBD, AA etc (liberty being the only exception at around €1400))

Allianz however are about €150 cheaper than the rest and that's including all the add-ons..... it kinda seems to good to be true if i'm honest.

So, is there anything i need to know about allianz? Anything i might be missing? Im looking for fully comp, and iv noticed that they give a basic price for third party fire and theft, am i correct in thinking that the comprehensive add-on makes the policy fully comp in the traditional sense?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Read the small print - very, very carefully. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, based on personal experience.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Allianz are a very good insurer. Just check the levels of cover, such as windscreen, policy excess, driving of other cars, breakdown assitance. Same as any Insurer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I haven't had to claim from any insurer but I was with Allianz for the last two years until this year.
    They cover all glass on the car including sunroof which is unusual for most insurers.
    I think most insurers are weasels in that they will use any excuse to ride you for premia and as soon as you actually need them they will use any excuse to weasel out of helping you.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think most insurers are weasels in that they will use any excuse to ride you for premia and as soon as you actually need them they will use any excuse to weasel out of helping you.

Insure for the bare minimum to get on the road, 3rd party only, and hang on to as much of your money as you can. Teach them a lesson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Insure for the bare minimum to get on the road, 3rd party only, and hang on to as much of your money as you can. Teach them a lesson

To be honest getting quotes for TP, TPFT and FC there isn't a huge difference, €20 in some cases.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    To be honest getting quotes for TP, TPFT and FC there isn't a huge difference, €20 in some cases.

Yeah, but because Insurers weasel out of every legitimate claim, you are depriving them of €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi all!

Thanks for your replies!

Ya, iv pretty much all their add-ons added on and it's still coming in around €150 cheaper.....

So, I am correct in thinking that the comprehensive add-on is what I need to do to make the cover fully comp? It's the first time I've come across it being sold like that. Usually you have the choice of one or the other and add the add-ons then.

I just can't understand why they would be so much cheaper than everyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hi all!

Thanks for your replies!

Ya, iv pretty much all their add-ons added on and it's still coming in around €150 cheaper.....

So, I am correct in thinking that the comprehensive add-on is what I need to do to make the cover fully comp? It's the first time I've come across it being sold like that. Usually you have the choice of one or the other and add the add-ons then.

I just can't understand why they would be so much cheaper than everyone else!

Different insurers will have different target markets at any given time. Your profile obviously fits the kind of business Allianz want to write at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I've been insured by them for 8 years now, and very happy.
    I never found cheaper quote. They never made any problems when I wanted to make changes to policies, or never charged fees for amending cars or drivers.
    Had a claim for own car damage couple years back, and due to ncb protection premium was never affected in any way. Claim procedure went very smooth. Had 3 windscreen claims in 3 consecutive years on 3 differwnt cars, and also it didn't affect premium at all.

Only thing which I'm not happy with is that limit their cover abroad to 60 days and don't allow to extend it. Obviously it doesn't apply to legally required third party cover, but all other cover is affected (like windscreen, own car damage, driving other cars, personal accident, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Hi All,

I've just made a dent to our audi against pillar on our car parking space.( It's hard to tolerate roaring 3 months old and your mother at the same time.)

I've got a quote in the garage 900 EUR, while Allianz estimated 1200 EUR. Access is 250

Just wondering which route to go... We've never had any claims with them so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

You need to look at what you are paying in insurance now and calculate how much more you'll pay over the years in increased premiums with your NCB gone (assuming you have no NCB cover)

€900 is about on the borderline of claiming v. paying yourself. IMO I'd go with the latter if you can afford it.

Advertisement