Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most economical plug in/portable heater?

Options
  • 07-03-2017 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Just wondering if anyone knows which type of heaters are best in terms of low running cost?

Here's a list of different types: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/interiors/home/best-portable-heaters/ but it doesn't mention anything about the cost of running them.

My mam was told the halogen ones, as well as being quiet, are the cheapest to run, but she's probably gone through at least 6 of them in the last few years as they keep breaking on her or stop working and she's returned them to power city I don't know how many times.

I have the Dimplex Cadiz Eco myself and it was pricey to buy up front, but it's quiet and it seems to work quite well. I've had it going for years and it's still working perfect. Heats the place up quickly and from what I remember when buying it, it was meant to be economical enough to run?

I was saying she should get one of them instead so she doesn't have to keep replacing the halogen ones so I'm just wondering if they are also cheaper to run as this would justify her spending a bit more.

Any feedback would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

The radiant type heater is efficient in that it directly heats a smaller area and a person can feel comfortable at a lower room temperature. The halogen heaters I am familiar with are 3 X 400 W = 1200W = approx 24c/hour when all 3 lamps in use , or 8c/hour with one lamp only etc. However, radiant heaters can be dangerous, especially with children and older people. I still have a two bar electric fire (2 X 800w = 32c/hour) which I use occasionaly.
    Incidentally, the Queen of England also uses same.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/9886922/A-warm-welcome-from-the-Queen-and-her-two-bar-fire.html

PS To calculate running costs, allow 20c per 1000w (or Kw)per hour. So for example, a 2kW dimplex heater at full heat, will cost approx 40c per hour (for most people).

Advertisement