Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G4 Play/Leap Card work?

• 07-03-2017 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Anyone with a Moto G4 play able to use the Leap card NFC top up function? I've enabled NFC on my phone but when I hold the card to back of the phone as directed, nothing happens.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

Have a samsung myself but sometimes doesn't work well. Find if I top up in store it somehow resets itself. Also can be case can be an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It seems like only some of the G4Plays have NFC. If theres no detection theres a good chance you dont have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

This phone definitely has NFC, I downloaded an NFC detector app and it shows android beam and NFC enabled. After a bit of research I discovered that the problem is Broadcom NFC chips (used in some Motorola, Samsung & Nexus devices) don't support Mifare (Leap card is MIFARE DESFire EV1) which is a proprietary technology owned by NXP Semiconductors. Only devices with an NXP semi chip will work with Mifare. So no dice with the Moto G Play unfortunately for me.

Still a grand phone for under a hundred quid delivered, but was looking forward to be able to top up my Leap card all the same. Had no idea about this NFC foible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why use your phone instead of bank card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

beauf wrote: »
    Why use your phone instead of bank card...

You dont get the concept Beauf.

With the Leap App your phone acts a validator like you see at a luas stop or a turnstyle in a train station or a payzone unit in a shop.

Credit Card + Webserver = Account topped up
    Phone + NFC = Balance updated on card

This is an important step as readers on buses are normally offline so they can only go by the balance on the card not the account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ah that makes more sense. Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Just as an update, the leap card top up app now works on my G4 play. NTA must have updated the app recently. Very happy not having to queue in a shop to add credit to my card!

Advertisement