Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SV650 vs Z1000

• 07-03-2017 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Thinking about upgrading after almost a year on the SV.

I'm not too fussed about the supposed impracticality of the z around town, just feel like its time for a change and would like something that would hold its own a little better over long distances as planning a few trips once the weather improves but that wouldn't be completely overkill for commuting. There are a few nice looking 2012/13 sx models for sale at the moment both here and in the uk.

Anyone any thoughts?

My mates think I'm crazy not to consider a gixxer or the likes but s/sports have never done much for me at all. Also like the look of the tiger 800, sat on one at the bike show there at the weekend and found the riding position comfortable as hell but I think sticking with a sports tourer is my preferred route for now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Z1000SX is lovely, and not impractical, you can get panniers etc if you want and they won't upset the aesthetics of the bike too much. Bit of a jump from an SV650 to that though. Have you taken one out for a test drive yet? I think Bikeworld have one up for sale second hand.

Tiger 800 is lovely, try get an XC model where possible, sounds like it'd suit you better.

Personally I think a CBF 1000 or Fazer 1000 would be right up your alley as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A super sports bike isn't going to be practical for either town use or touring. The Z or Tiger would be better for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The only word of warning I give people moving up to a litre bike from something like the SV650 is that things happen very, very quickly and a novice to the ltr sports bike could be caught out very quickly.

The other noticeable different will be fuel consumption, litre bikes go through it like snuff at a wake if you're heavy on the gas.

I'd litre bikes for years, then dropped down to my present Vstrom DL650 and just on fuel consumption and what I'm saving I can't see myself going back up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

How about a Tiger 1050 sport?
    A bit more go than the 800.
    And feels more sporty,hence the name!!

Del2005 wrote: »
    A super sports bike isn't going to be practical for either town use or touring. The Z or Tiger would be better for both.

I keep reading this and I don't get it, fair enough if your commuting from kildare but if in say Dublin you will be in town within 25 mins from any suburb. Anyone commuting that distance could do it on any bike not a bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I keep reading this and I don't get it, fair enough if your commuting from kildare but if in say Dublin you will be in town within 25 mins from any suburb. Anyone commuting that distance could do it on any bike not a bother.

Not built for start stop traffic.not comfortable.not.good on gas.

They are weekend bikes and sure fire get tired of it commuting 5 days a week.

Prob take the fun out of riding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

listermint wrote: »

BaronVonGrumble does not have a problem commuting on supersports in London every day, he uses bmw hp4 and gsxr 1000 mainly, he said the only problem was with the r1m as it is difficult to ride in traffic but not the case with other supersports. As far as I know his journey is 1h30m

BaronVonGrumble does not have a problem commuting on supersports in London every day, he uses bmw hp4 and gsxr 1000 mainly, he said the only problem was with the r1m as it is difficult to ride in traffic but not the case with other supersports. As far as I know his journey is 1h30m

I'm fully versed in baron.

He bought a GS1200 for the commute. He drove that all the time.

He doesn't commute into London anymore but once a month .

He sold the GS.

So no he didn't drive the 1000 sportsbikes in for joy on a commute. In fact he did the opposite and got an upright adventure bike .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The z1000 is a fantastic bike with a fantastic engine. The bike itself has no trouble with stop go traffic but the clutch gets quite heavy after a while. Not the nimblest either but I absolutely love it. I have a 55km commute though all motorway. Not sure I'd get one for stop go traffic though.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Z1000SX is lovely, and not impractical, you can get panniers etc if you want and they won't upset the aesthetics of the bike too much. Bit of a jump from an SV650 to that though. Have you taken one out for a test drive yet? I think Bikeworld have one up for sale second hand.

Tiger 800 is lovely, try get an XC model where possible, sounds like it'd suit you better.

Personally I think a CBF 1000 or Fazer 1000 would be right up your alley as well.

Haven't test driven one yet no - but will definitely take a spin on them before making any decisions for sure. Not a fan of the CBF but if I come across a fazer 1000 I'll def keep it in mind thanks.

Actually love the look of the bike with the panniers and luggage is essential for me so was what drew me to it initially.
    The only word of warning I give people moving up to a litre bike from something like the SV650 is that things happen very, very quickly and a novice to the ltr sports bike could be caught out very quickly.

The other noticeable different will be fuel consumption, litre bikes go through it like snuff at a wake if you're heavy on the gas.

I'll keep that in mind thanks - hadn't really looked into the increased running costs etc. Am sure I'll need to take her very handy with the bigger engine - might end up agreeing with you on the mid-engine in the future but sure may as well move up and find out for myself :)

blade1 wrote: »
    How about a Tiger 1050 sport?
    A bit more go than the 800.
    And feels more sporty,hence the name!!

Will certainly keep that in mind. Only mentioned the 800 because I was more familiar with them.
    BKtje wrote: »
    The z1000 is a fantastic bike with a fantastic engine. The bike itself has no trouble with stop go traffic but the clutch gets quite heavy after a while. Not the nimblest either but I absolutely love it. I have a 55km commute though all motorway. Not sure I'd get one for stop go traffic though.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Legend. I had been reading up on them and the fact that they aren't the nimblest actually led me to thinking that it'd suit me better for the same reasoning as why I opted for the sv over an r6 or the likes.

Commute will be mostly a straight shoot up the N11 but I work between three gyms so as ong as its not a total sh*t-show in traffic I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement

Says you? What do you drive on your commute
    I commute on the gixxer these days no bother, I don't care abut how much fuel it uses, if I was penny pinching I would buy a moped.

Every bike has gears so using your logic all would be too stop start in traffic and only mopeds need apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I commute on the gixxer these days no bother, I don't care abut how much fuel it uses, if I was penny pinching I would buy a moped.

Every bike has gears so using your logic all would be too stop start in traffic and only mopeds need apply

Bully for you. If you look at what the other 99.999% of commuters use you'll see that you are in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

au contraire - they put the fun into commuting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you look at what the other 99.999% of commuters use you'll see that you are in the minority.
    On my commute (N11 to central Dublin) there is quite a high proportion of sports bikes amongst the regulars. It seems to be fairly evenly split between adventure bikes/tourers, sports bikes, nakeds and big scooters.

The big scooters are mostly used for school drop offs. I guess it's important to embarrass your kids to encourage independence and strength of character. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Re. the 1000cc.. Most lads look towards getting their first thou, its like a mile stone in biking. When you feel ready for it sure drop the hammer on it.

Con's (for me after owning a few) is fuel consumption, as petrol prices rise your fun spins decrease.. Speed and acting the bollox is another, I wouldn't have the penalty points on my licence had I had the Vstrom a few years back.

This bit is just a personal thing to me.. I ride with a lot of bikers, most of my mates over the years have been bikers and sadly many have been killed. After the last lad I was giving up biking completely, I was sick of the deaths of friends.

My bike was off the road for his funeral so I'd to borrow a little Virago 750 for a few days, and tbh I knew I'd stay on the road and slow the f*ck down.

Anyway, I've had all the craic, trills and spills and now I'm an old fart coming back down the CC's again.

Pro's of the Thou class ~ grin factor. For a few grand you'll own a rocket which would leave a Farrrari many times its price in your shadow. The exhilaration of a Jap inline four 1000cc tucked under you is un-f*cking-real. Everything happens at warp speed, acceleration, braking, fuel gauge :p.. Its all brilliant.

If you're thinking of going adventure style and wondering about the sitting position you're more than welcome to take a spin on my Vstrom.. Its slow as f*ck (same engine as your SV so you won't notice) but you'll know if the riding position is for you.

The GS is a monster, I actually love them ~ I just wish BMW didn't make them lol.. The Triumph Tiger is a beauty too. These kind of bikes are idea for scooting between your gyms and can carry a ton of weight.

Gixxer's, R1's, CBR's ~ I've had or ridden 'em all and whilst they're great craic they're the most impractical things you'll sit your arse on.

Sorry your gixxer uses penny's to the M3 i ran for years. So don't tell me about penny pinching.

And what logic did i use about gears.

Zzzz

Advertisement