Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door company giving me the run around to adjust door

Options
  • 07-03-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭

Both a new door over 2 years ago. Came with 10 year guarantee. After 9 months or so it needed adjustment. Nothing wrong with that as it was expected.

Got onto them again after Christmas to get the door adjusted again as draft coming in. Called into shop. Date booked in. Day came and nobody called. Got in touch to say the person never came. Reply was we know as person is sick and I've asked them to get in touch. A month later nothing so emailed them this time to have it on record. Reply back swift enough. Same excuse and will be in touch that day or Monday with an update. Still nothing.

What are my options now? Pay someone else to tighten my door? Get back onto company saying I want it actioned by 1-2 weeks else I'm doing y?

If they can't fit doors as fitter is sick then how are they making money. I think they are just giving me the run around.

Am I looking at small claims court here? Get my money back to buy a new door elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is generally a ten second job to adjust a door - DIY. It wouldn't even normally be covered under any form of warranty. You won't get anywhere with small claims - the supplier sending a set of instructions to the clerk will be enough for them to tell you so.

Google how to do it and do it yourself. 99% of the time its an Allen key in to the side of the external hinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thanks. Will take a look.

What's reasonable number of times to adjust the door? Should I have to do it yearly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Trampas wrote: »
    Am I looking at small claims court here? Get my money back to buy a new door elsewhere?

But there isn't anything faulty with the door so what are you claiming for?

Depends on how often the door is opened, how much of a temperature variation it gets (the metal frame expanding/contracting etc). I've had to do it once to a south-facing very rarely used back door in 4 years since new; the front door which is nearly 20 years old hasn't been touched in that time.

But there isn't anything faulty with the door so what are you claiming for?

I wouldn't have expected that I'd need to be adjusting the door tightness every year.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Depends on how often the door is opened, how much of a temperature variation it gets (the metal frame expanding/contracting etc). I've had to do it once to a south-facing very rarely used back door in 4 years since new; the front door which is nearly 20 years old hasn't been touched in that time.

Front door so used 6-10 times a day. It's a composite door if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I wouldn't have expected that I'd need to be adjusting the door tightness every year.

its basic maintance.
    are you expecting that you will never have to oil it in those 10 years too

Front door so used 6-10 times a day. It's a composite door if that makes a difference.

Was more of a "how long is a piece of string" basis. If you were having to do it more than every 6 months I'd be looking at replacement hinges, under warranty. Every year or so - normal enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Get it sorted ASAP op we had same issue.. installers tried to fob us off with the manufacturers (plus lots of appointments not kept). Manufacturers couldn't fix it despite saying it was fixed after each visit. in the end we went small claims but checked on CRO and saw the lads had dissolved the business. Bit of digging revealed they changed company names like underwear.

Lesson learned... should have gone local as there was a trick to installation with that type of surround.

Go small claims ASAP if they're fobbing you off... but be prepaid for a battle. Maybe threaten a bad online review or find out where they live and pay a visit if they're not picking up the phone.

its basic maintance.
    are you expecting that you will never have to oil it in those 10 years too

Don't remember my dad ever out with the toolbox adjusting the door at home.

Maybe just I'm been naive that I didn't think they door with need regular adjusting. I'll tighten it up and see how long it lasts but the shop thought it was strange that it needed adjusting again.

• Advertisement

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Get it sorted ASAP op we had same issue.. installers tried to fob us off with the manufacturers (plus lots of appointments not kept). Manufacturers couldn't fix it despite saying it was fixed after each visit. in the end we went small claims but checked on CRO and saw the lads had dissolved the business. Bit of digging revealed they changed company names like underwear.

Lesson learned... should have gone local as there was a trick to installation with that type of surround.

Go small claims ASAP if they're fobbing you off... but be prepaid for a battle. Maybe threaten a bad online review or find out where they live and pay a visit if they're not picking up the phone.

Adjusting the hinges is basic maintenance. Your issue is clearly completely different, not the same.

Thanks for your inputs.

I'll take a look tomorrow hopefully. I'll be keep a log of number of times the door needs adjusting.

I'm more annoyed with the lack of communication from them than anything. I've no problem if an appointment gets cancelled/postponed as we've all done it. It's more that I've to go chasing them for updates. Like the Celtic tiger is back where customer service went out the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, ask your husband/boyfriend/brother to get hold of an Allen key/screwdriver set and take a few minutes to adjust a few screws, once he has done it once he will be able to do it easily in future.

davo10 wrote: »
    Op, ask your husband/boyfriend/brother to get hold of an Allen key/screwdriver set and take a few minutes to adjust a few screws, once he has done it once he will be able to do it easily in future.

ah hear. surely the women folk would be too busy cooking and cleaning. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

anyone handy could easily adjust the hindges. finding the bloody right allen key takes longer than doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Because women are unable to manage terribly complex tools like Allen keys? Ye gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Diziet wrote: »
    Because women are unable to manage terribly complex tools like Allen keys? Ye gods.

Women can, the op apparently can't.

Women can, the op apparently can't.

im sure if she was shown how she could

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - knock off the smart comments.

OP - adjusting the door is straightforward and is something that you could expect to do occasionally, depending on environmental factors, wear & tear etc. The factors are too variable for a one-size-fits-all solution.

Have a look on YouTube for videos or Google for instructions.

Advertisement