Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyinf to Dublin with a cat in the cabin

Options
  • 07-03-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hello,

Could someone tell me what airlines allow passengers to fly with a cat in the cabin? The flight would be Rome to Dublin.
    A few weeks ago I rang KLM (in Italy) and Lufthansa (in Italy) and their agents initially told me it was accepted.

I rang both KLM (in Italy) and Lufthansa (in Dublin) today and now they both say that their pet policy doesn't allow passengers to bring pets in the cabin or in the hold! Only via cargo! That's totally the opposite of what they told me initially.

The Irish Department of Agriculture told me that the Government doesn't put any restrictions and that it's at the discretion of the airlines whether they allow pets in the cabin or not.

I read Air Lingus allows pets in the hold but not in the cabin. I haven't rung them yet so I don't know anything about their T&C.

Is there any other company that I could contact?

Thanks,
    Sandra

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I'd ask in the Travel forum - you'll find more knowledgeable people there, I'd say.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sandypas76

Thanks. Done!

I can't find my thread any more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

sandypas76 wrote: »
    Hello,

Could someone tell me what airlines allow passengers to fly with a cat in the cabin? The flight would be Rome to Dublin.
    A few weeks ago I rang KLM (in Italy) and Lufthansa (in Italy) and their agents initially told me it was accepted.

I rang both KLM (in Italy) and Lufthansa (in Dublin) today and now they both say that their pet policy doesn't allow passengers to bring pets in the cabin or in the hold! Only via cargo! That's totally the opposite of what they told me initially.

The Irish Department of Agriculture told me that the Government doesn't put any restrictions and that it's at the discretion of the airlines whether they allow pets in the cabin or not.

I read Air Lingus allows pets in the hold but not in the cabin. I haven't rung them yet so I don't know anything about their T&C.

Is there any other company that I could contact?

Thanks,
    Sandra

How would you ensure you weren't sitting near someone with a cat allergy?

Im not sure what this has got to do with my query.
    I think you should ask your question to an airline company, not me.

• Advertisement

I can no longer find my thread in the Travel section.
    I don't know if it's still there.
    When I open the email notifications with the replies to it and I click on the link, it takes me to a dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Presumably you've already got the microchipping/vaccination/pet passport requirements for importing an animal into Ireland covered.

BA fly the route (via London) and they generally allow pets in the cabin. You'll need to buy an approved pet carrier. And there's a fee. But check directly with the airline.

The only airlines who fly the route direct are Aer Lingus and Ryanair, and neither of them will take pets in the cabin.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    BA fly the route (via London) and they generally allow pets in the cabin.

The way I read this is that I could fly on a BA flight with my cat in the cabin from London to Dublin, is that correct?
    I would still have the problem of getting the cat to London, and the only way seems via cargo or ferry (not even via Eurostar train), so I might as well travel from France to Ireland straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

sandypas76 wrote: »
    The way I read this is that I could fly on a BA flight with my cat in the cabin from London to Dublin, is that correct?
    I would still have the problem of getting the cat to London, and the only way seems via cargo or ferry (not even via Eurostar train), so I might as well travel from France to Ireland straight.
    if BA will take the cat in the cabin from London to Dublin, will they not also take the cat in the cabin from Rome to London?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Peregrinus wrote: »
    if BA will take the cat in the cabin from London to Dublin, will they not also take the cat in the cabin from Rome to London?

Isn't there rabbies on mainland Europe ? Different regulations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I wouldn't allow my cat to travel in the hold. Pet detectives have had to find a couple of cats that were lost on the way out of the planes.

Advertisement