Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting abroad in states

• 07-03-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Nevada in April for 2 weeks to her uncles and he has arranged a nights coyote hunt with his neighbour but he's not sure on the legality of me using his neighbours gun.
    Anyone up to date on if it's legal.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nevada has extremely free laws surrounding firearm ownership/possession. Once you're over 18 you can have a "long gun" or handgun without the need for registration or licensing. They also have open carry.

Most if not all of this applies to non residents.

As for hunting, Coyote are not protected and can be hunted by residents and non residents year round.

Funny enough i done some checking and they have some pretty strict laws surrounding deer and other antlered animal hunting. Like here they have minimum calibre for some species, energy limits (minimum), and the type of firearm to be used.

You'll find a host of info here, here and here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Cass wrote: »
    Nevada has extremely free laws surrounding firearm ownership/possession. Once you're over 18 you can have a "long gun" or handgun without the need for registration or licensing. They also have open carry.

Most if not all of this applies to non residents.

As for hunting, Coyote are not protected and can be hunted by residents and non residents year round.

Funny enough i done some checking and they have some pretty strict laws surrounding deer and other antlered animal hunting. Like here they have minimum calibre for some species, energy limits (minimum), and the type of firearm to be used.

You'll find a host of info here, here and here.

Thanks cass. Hopefully il drop a few yotes. His neighbour has some real nice varmint rifles. .22 for cottontails and prairie dogs and a really nice .223. Just have one danger and that's the rattlesnakes. He said they don't always rattle when youre close by so heavy clothes and leather gaitors are a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just have one danger and that's the rattlesnakes. He said they don't always rattle when youre close by so heavy clothes and leather gaitors are a must.

Western diamondback rattle snake. They taste like a rather gamey chicken.:D
    Definately worth trying if you get the chance.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Western diamondback rattle snake. They taste like a rather gamey chicken.:D
    Definately worth trying if you get the chance.

I'd rather avoid them tbh. I messed about with a Philippine spitting cobra when I was there in 2012 and almost got sprayed. If it has venom il leave em be. Snake isn't great anyway. Very boney

Advertisement