Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim

Options
  • 07-03-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I was driving in Dublin yesterday and clipped a taxi man's wing mirror. I got out of the car and apologised for my mistake and advised I would pay for any damage done.
    The taxi man advised he was "in shock" and was calling the gardai.
    A garda arrived 15 minutes later. The taxi man advised he wanted to go through the insurance as he was "in shock".
    The garda asked was he injured and he advised he was not and that he was just in shock.

Where do I stand now with the insurance? Can I pay the insurance company the costs so I don't lose my no claims bonus?
    Can he make a claim for being in shock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Personally i would say better off going through insurance .
    Ring your insurance and let them know what happened and give them all details.
    They will let you pay for the cost of the claim and keep you NCB and accident free status.
    Thats assuming he doesnt escalate it to a personal injury claim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hold on to your hat op. He's probably going to hit you with loss of earnings aswell. How hard did you hit him that he was in shock? Did the gardai not tell him to feck off wasting their time as you had admitted liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

He wouldn't have mentioned shock if he didn't think there was a few pounds to be made. What a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just how badly damaged was the mirror for him to go into "shock" if you only "clipped" his mirror?
    As said above, it sounds to me like he is going to try it on for a loss of earnings claim citing that he had to take time off to "get over the incident".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Just how badly damaged was the mirror for him to go into "shock" if you only "clipped" his mirror?
    As said above, it sounds to me like he is going to try it on for a loss of earnings claim citing that he had to take time off to "get over the incident".

The fact that the op is hitting other vehicles suggests that he or she probably hasn't the best spatial awareness, and I imagine is a poor judge of speed and impact force. So maybe there are two sides to this "clip".

Someone not in control of their vehicle and coming millimetres from sideswiping your own car is, I imagine, shocking .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Shocking behaviour from the taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Did the gardai not tell him to feck off wasting their time as you had admitted liability.

Unfortunately the vast majority of emergency services time is spent dealing with time wasting chancers or scumbags.

K.Flyer wrote: »

They should compare his tax returns to the loose of earnings he claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tom85

b_mac2 wrote: »
    He wouldn't have mentioned shock if he didn't think there was a few pounds to be made. What a scumbag.

Who the fu*k do think you are calling some one a scumbag . As far as we know it could have been a very close head on collision at 100km +

tom85 wrote: »
    Who the fu*k do think you are calling some one a scumbag . As far as we know it could have been a very close head on collision at 100km +

The OP was driving in Dublin, the chance that it was a 100km head on collision is miniscule.

And if someone does go into shock following an incident they don't say I'm in shock it's a physical reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

.. As far as we know it could have been a very close head on collision at 100km +

Or it could have been a relatively slow pass, given the congestion on the roads in Dublin these days.
    Maybe the o.p. could clarify with more details for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

So has the "shock" subsided yet? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This is modern Ireland.

This is why insurance premiums are through the roof.

Some people will lay the blame squarely at the foot of the insurer.

They certainly aren't blameless but the main reason for the increases is chancers like the taxi man in the op and the parasitic legal system that aids and abets their fraud.

Hopefully when this goes in front of a court there will be a judge with some cop on.

There have been a few cases recently where claims have been thrown out as the judge knew the claimant was a try on.

Op, all you can do is report it to your insurer and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ongo Goblogian

If the driver is in shock at his wing mirror being clipped, I don't think he is of suitable mental stature to be driving members of the public around a city like Dublin. These are professional drivers and must have seen more than a clipping of a mirror on the roads. Maybe its time to bring in psychological analysis and suitability tests for taxi drivers. @OP if you type Irish Taxi Forum into google you will get the link to a forum run by taxi drivers that have several sections to raise these topics. Might be worth getting a Taxi Drivers point of view on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

b_mac2 wrote: »

Standard practice, I'm sorry to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

You breach your policy conditions by admitting liability.

You breach your policy conditions by offering to settle.

The probability is that the taxi driver saw that OP was concerned and is now electing to exploit that in a classically cynical piece of opportunism. Once insurers become involved his shock may resolve spontaneously.

Leave it to the insurers - they should know how to deal with this article.

Advertisement