Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick so quiet on a Tuesday night what gives?

• 08-03-2017 4:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Came down to Limerick this afternoon staying in the city centre
    Had to meet someone over food got plenty of places in mind
    Was keen to try the japanese place but it was busy so rather than ramble we qent across the road to Chocolat.Place was empty and cold it was like a tile showroom however food was grand average.
    Asked for a few pubs was told lots.Went to collins nice spot and a few people.White House i heard of but it was dead and boring
    We then went onto House very nice but lifeless
    Then on for a late drink someone said Red Hen it was closing up so no go then asked said oh go to Nancys around the corner again closed not a late bar on tuesday
    Just a bad night or average for the city?
    May be out again Thursday where wpuld people advice for bit of life and maybe music?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Cork is quiet as well.

People are saving their money for the bank holiday weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

pa990 wrote: »
    Cork is quiet as well.

People are saving their money for the bank holiday weekend.

True i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Tuesday.

Also last week was Ul rag week.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Tuesday.

Also last week was Ul rag week.

Which would have had no effect on the pubs mentioned with the exception of the Red Hen as they don't serve U23's. Isnt the Red Hen late on Tuesdays?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tuesday has always been the quietest day of the week. There's a reason Nancys don't open late on Tuesdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Tuesday has always been the quietest day of the week. There's a reason Nancys don't open late on Tuesdays.

Or Monday! We were in there last Sunday week. Pat Fitz was playing but the bar closed and music off at 1.30? Bouncer said it was closing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

A friend of mine from Belfast is in Limerick one Tuesday every 3 weeks so that's our regular night out.
    The City was empty last night. If there was 10 Rag Weeks on, it's nothing to do with the normal pubs in town.
    We went to the Red Hen at 12.30am for a late one and they seem to have stopped doing their late bar??
    Mid week drinking is gone in this City

Sully777 wrote: »
    Or Monday! We were in there last Sunday week. Pat Fitz was playing but the bar closed and music off at 1.30? Bouncer said it was closing time.

Sunday closing is 11pm. 1:30am is late closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

Sunday closing is 11pm. 1:30am is late closing.

I've often been in there on a Sunday night until 2.30am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lots of people just don't go drinking on school nights for a variety of reasons - not bothered, cannot afford it, work the next day, etc.

• Advertisement

I've often been in there on a Sunday night until 2.30am

Good for you. It obviously wasn't busy enough for them to stay open. They don't have to stay open if they don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mid week drinking is gone in this City

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. You'll find that's fairly normal in most decent sized European cities too.

zulutango wrote: »
    That isn't necessarily a bad thing. You'll find that's fairly normal in most decent sized European cities too.

Indeed, I was at a Champions League game in Manchester on a Tuesday recently and the city was dead after the match.

It's funny that in Ireland we measure the vitality of a city by how much people are drinking in pubs at night time. Cities are a whole lot more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Some interesting responses here, I think there are a number of factors which can explain why Limerick was so quiet last night. Firstly, as other posters have said, the bank holiday is approaching so people are staying in. Secondly, Tuesdays are traditionally quiet. But, I also think that the city "being quiet" on a Tuesday night (and mid-week nights, in general) is reflective of wider societal changes, where people are drinking less on a regular basis. However, the caveat to all this is that Limerick city center is often quiet after 6pm anyway. This is due to a large percentage of the city's population living in the suburbs - something which the council is attempting to address now.

Nevertheless, having said all that, the city should be a lot more vibrant on Thursday night! Pubs/restaurants are usually much busier as you approach the weekend.

However, the caveat to all this is that Limerick city center is often quiet after 6pm anyway. This is due to a large percentage of the city's population living in the suburbs - something which the council is attempting to address now.

About 50% of the population live the the outer suburbs, and are largely car dependent. This mitigates against their ability to properly interact with the city. They miss out on what's going on, and the city misses out by not having them involved. It's a lose-lose situation.

Traditionally, the bulk of the population lived within walking and cycling distance and it was a lot more vibrant in those days as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Apart from Saturday night and maybe Thursday, Limerick is dead for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zulutango wrote: »
    About 50% of the population live the the outer suburbs, and are largely car dependent. This mitigates against their ability to properly interact with the city. They miss out on what's going on, and the city misses out by not having them involved. It's a lose-lose situation.

Traditionally, the bulk of the population lived within walking and cycling distance and it was a lot more vibrant in those days as a result.

Why do cities like Cork, Dublin, etc with larger populations living in bigger suburbs than Limerick, not have the same issue?

People living in the suburbs has nothing to do with people not drinking in town during the week. Pubs in the suburbs are are empty midweek too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why do cities like Cork, Dublin, etc with larger populations living in bigger suburbs than Limerick, not have the same issue?

Because:

1. They have substantial city centre populations in their own right. Limerick doesn't. If you take what is known as the Georgian area of Limerick, the population is about 1300. This is less than a quarter of what it was in 1811.

2. Outside of the Georgian area but still in the centre, there is a significant population, but much of this tends not to be a middle class, spending demographic.

3. We have 14000 students in UL. Many of these never or rarely interact with the city mainly because of the way it is disconnected from the city centre through distance and poor/expensive public transport. By contrast, Galway, Cork and Dublin have very substantial student populations living in the city centre (not as dependent on transport). We do have Mary Immaculate college near enough to the centre, and we have LSAD, but the numbers are small. Although not nearly as distant or disconnected as UL, LIT is far enough out too.

4. Tourism is a huge boon to the city centres of Galway, Cork and Dublin, but while I don't have figures, it would appear that Limerick is in the ha'penny place in this area.

• Advertisement

People living in the suburbs has nothing to do with people not drinking in town during the week. Pubs in the suburbs are are empty midweek too.

I agree. But people living in the suburbs does affect the vitality of the city centre in general. The centre just isn't as accessible to these people as it would be if they lived near it. That stands to reason. The relentless moaning about lack of parking is effectively people admitting that going into the city is too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

I think another problem maybe that there are no city centre cinemas to attract people there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

mart 23 wrote:
    I think another problem maybe that there are no city centre cinemas to attract people there.

The IFI/Belltable films on a Monday night are always packed. I know i go because its close and convenient to where I live in the city and watching a film is a nice thing to do during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

panda100 wrote: »
    The IFI/Belltable films on a Monday night are always packed. I know i go because its close and convenient to where I live in the city and watching a film is a nice thing to do during the week.

Yeah, but that only appeals to a certain crowd. Getting rid of the Savoy was such a bad move for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Surely there's a demand for a city centre cinema?Also a multi purpose indoor arena that could hold concerts/tennis exhibitions etc should be something that's looked at.
    Plus there needs to be more of an effort on maintaining buildings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The city has three cinemas already. I can't see how a city centre cinema would work...especially with so many people living in the suburbs.

The city has three cinemas already. I can't see how a city centre cinema would work...especially with so many people living in the suburbs.

Fair enough but a decent indoor venue around the 6,000 mark would be good.Would love to see it maybe where the old Dunnes is.I know that's part of Limerick 2030 plans.God knows when that will happen....

sleepyman wrote: »
    Fair enough but a decent indoor venue around the 6,000 mark would be good.Would love to see it maybe where the old Dunnes is.I know that's part of Limerick 2030 plans.God knows when that will happen....

6000 would be way too big for Limerick. They"re not even planning that big in Cork. 2 - 3k would be a good size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

6000 would be way too big for Limerick. They"re not even planning that big in Cork. 2 - 3k would be a good size.

They are actually. The now infamous Cork events centre is to have a capacity of 6000. That's if it ever gets built. It's been dogged by delays and false dawns.

• Advertisement

Vanquished wrote: »
    They are actually. The now infamous Cork events centre is to have a capacity of 6000. That's if it ever gets built. It's been dogged by delays and false dawns.

Why is 6000 too big?We should be aiming to attract some of the acts that play in the 3 in Dublin.One of the reasons the city is so quiet is because there are no events for people to come in for.Imagine regular music concerts or a show etc being on.I spoke to a taxi driver when I was home last week and he said the place is dead most weekends.A few champions cup weekends and that's it really

Advertisement