Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick so quiet on a Tuesday night what gives?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sleepyman wrote: »
    Why is 6000 too big?We should be aiming to attract some of the acts that play in the 3 in Dublin.One of the reasons the city is so quiet is because there are no events for people to come in for.Imagine regular music concerts or a show etc being on.I spoke to a taxi driver when I was home last week and he said the place is dead most weekends.A few champions cup weekends and that's it really
    Because Limerick doesnt need it or warrant a venue that size. There isnt the demand for a 6000 capacity venue in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

zulutango wrote:
    The relentless moaning about lack of parking is effectively people admitting that going into the city is too much hassle.

Call it a niggling feeling, and this is just in my personal opinion, but I genuinely believe that there is a significant portion of the "no car park space" suburb crowd that simply don't want to go to, or use, the city centre space, and are quite content in their own hub. That's all well and good, but i feel they always jump in on debates of the city centre and it's future, offering nothing productive to the arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

panda100 wrote: »
    The IFI/Belltable films on a Monday night are always packed. I know i go because its close and convenient to where I live in the city and watching a film is a nice thing to do during the week.

Really wish that they added another night during the week, Monday can be a bit of a pain to get to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

testicles wrote: »
    The greyhound stadium is testament to that not being true. As is Coonagh Cross and Jetland SCs and EastPoint and ParkPoint Retail Parks. And the Gaelic Grounds. And the Limerick Tunnel.
    Any new events centre will be competing with UL Arena which may be seen as a good thing but equally may result in two events centres with neither having enough business to stay afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pigtown wrote: »
    The greyhound stadium is testament to that not being true. As is Coonagh Cross and Jetland SCs and EastPoint and ParkPoint Retail Parks. And the Gaelic Grounds. And the Limerick Tunnel.
    Any new events centre will be competing with UL Arena which may be seen as a good thing but equally may result in two events centres with neither having enough business to stay afloat.

I generally agree with your point, but the UCH only holds 1000 and is way out of town and difficult to get to unless you drive. The city could handle a 2-3K venue in the city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I generally agree with your point, but the UCH only holds 1000 and is way out of town and difficult to get to unless you drive. The city could handle a 2-3K venue in the city center.

Then people would say it's hard to get parking in town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

dcfc91 wrote: »
    Really wish that they added another night during the week, Monday can be a bit of a pain to get to!

The Monday night showing must be very profitable for the Belltable. It would make a lot of business sense to put a film showing on a Wednesday night as well.
    Yeah, but that only appeals to a certain crowd. Getting rid of the Savoy was such a bad move for the city.

Yes I agree but it definitely shows there is an appetite for film screenings in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The UCH works because it serves the wider Midwest population, I suspect. That is, it works because it is out of the city. Same goes for a lot of the out of town developments. That's not to say they're a good thing in the great scheme of things. This kind of development tends to encourage unsustainable suburban sprawl and car dependency.

zulutango wrote: »
    The UCH works because it serves the wider Midwest population, I suspect. That is, it works because it is out of the city. Same goes for a lot of the out of town developments. That's not to say they're a good thing in the great scheme of things. This kind of development tends to encourage unsustainable suburban sprawl and car dependency.

My main point though is that while a 6K venue would be far to big, Limerick needs a venue larger than the UCH and the city center would be the ideal place for it.

• Advertisement

My main point though is that while a 6K venue would be far to big, Limerick needs a venue larger than the UCH and the city center would be the ideal place for it.

Yeah, I would be surprised if the city or the wider region could sustain a 6K capacity venue. But certainly the city centre needs a sizeable indoor venue so that we can attract big acts, conferences, etc. Building anything like this on the outskirts shouldn't be considered because of the long term problems it would cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

would like to see something done with Wickies place in Ballysimon - aquatic centre maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

And it has one in the castle, holds 2k and has held two concerts so far and has another two this year I think. Cant see them building anything as long as the castle is doing well holding the concerts at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

You need big acts to fill 2-3k capacity venues and often to be sustainable. Can't see it happening in Limerick.

Also on the Tuesday night, Limerick nightlife is usually dead until Thursday. I've been to capital cities in Europe which were just as dead during the week.

I'm talking about the Arena. It's a very versatile venue that has hosted conferences, theatre shows, dinners, exhibitions. I'm just saying that the business case needs to be strong before an events centre is built. It would likely take business from all of the hotels, the Arena, possibly UCH, the castle, the Milk Market. Maybe there's enough business to go around but I'd hate for other venues to be at risk as a result.

And it has one in the castle, holds 2k and has held two concerts so far and has another two this year I think. Cant see them building anything as long as the castle is doing well holding the concerts at the moment.

No it doesn't. The castle is an open space that can hold limited events. Arthurs Quay Park could do the same. What's being discussed here is an indoor multi purpose arena that could hold exibitions, conferences and concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Limerick has been dead for a few years now -- It's one of the main reasons I moved, there's very little happening there but it is a very small city so it's to be expected. I'm not even gonna get into the discussion on what could be done, I was exhausted from doing it when I lived there... All i'll say is that the people who run the city are beyond inept.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Limerick has been dead for a few years now -- It's one of the main reasons I moved, there's very little happening there but it is a very small city so it's to be expected. I'm not even gonna get into the discussion on what could be done, I was exhausted from doing it when I lived there... All i'll say is that the people who run the city are beyond inept.

I don't agree with all of your post (I love living in the centre of Limerick City!) but you are correct with that statement. It should be noted that most of the people who run the city don't live in it, or anywhere near it. It's therefore no surprise that it's a poorly run city. You can't make good decisions for a place unless you know it well, and if you don't live in a place it's unlikely that you will know it well.

Where do they live?

• Advertisement
Advertisement