Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Bob24 wrote: »
    Depending on you main location, keep in mind that switching to Three could be a serious downgrade in terms of data speeds. I was on Three before Vodafone and fed-up with very poor data performance in Dublin City centre, and the performance improvement was significant (video streaming went from pretty unusable at peak hours to near flawless).

I had the opposite experience with 3. I mainly used my phone around the city centre and south Dublin. I'm considering going back to them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I’m on Vodafone now and my data can be pretty bad I will be switching to three hoping for an improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

sky88 wrote: »
    I’m on Vodafone now and my data can be pretty bad I will be switching to three hoping for an improvement

In my experience VF is a much better network for data compared to 3.

Folks ye should set up a Spotify family account. 6 people on it works out at €30 for the year.There was a thread here about it a few months ago.

Here is the thread.

I'd be up for setting a plan up if we could get enough people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Three is crap.

Just done a speed test on both sims here.

Vf 120 mbps

3 10mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Vodafone has gotten a bit slower over the past year I think. But still nothing as bad as I was getting with Three.

One easy point of comparison I have is that I regularly cross Dublin city centre on the bus around 5pm (bad time both for traffic and data speeds :-)). That would be from O’Connell Street through Trinity, Stephen’s Green and Leeson Street. With Three I had data speeds below 1Mbps and video streaming was rarely working at very low resolution and most of the time not working at all until crossing the canal (it would work better after passing that point). Since switching to Vodafone it is working almost flawlessly at medium or high resolution on the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Bob24 wrote: »
    Depending on you main location, keep in mind that switching to Three could be a serious downgrade in terms of data speeds. I was on Three before Vodafone and fed-up with very poor data performance in Dublin City centre, and the performance improvement was significant (video streaming went from pretty unusable at peak hours to near flawless).

Actually, yeah often hear the 3 folks in our office moaning about no signal while I'd have full 4G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Here is the thread.

Count me in anyways,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Here is the thread.

Yep I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

Here is the thread.

I'd be up for this also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bob24 wrote:
    One easy point of comparison I have is that I regularly cross Dublin city centre on the bus around 5pm (bad time both for traffic and data speeds :-)). That would be from O’Connell Street through Trinity, Stephen’s Green and Leeson Street. With Three I had data speeds below 1Mbps and video streaming was rarely working at very low resolution and often not working until crossing the canal (it would work better after passing that point). While since switching to Vodafone it is working almost flawless at medium or high resolution on the same route.

I've VF PAYG and siro- carrigaline-. Up to 30 MB download on PAYG,and ALWAYS up around 130+ for the siro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Have 3 sim for camper van for the remote places like Beara that Vodafone doesn't cover. In built up areas three is often 1- 2mb, Vodafone sim usually 10 plus times faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Have 3 sim for camper van for the remote places like Beara that Vodafone doesn't cover. In built up areas three is often 1- 2mb, Vodafone sim usually 10 plus times faster.

Swap 3 sim back to 3g you'll likely get 7-8mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Any opinions re eir, three, Tesco mobile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

It depends on your area.
    Get some Sims and try them out for speed etc
    Use 1 a month and then choose whichever is best for you.

For example Eir 4g is chronic where I live...as is their 3g.
    But far superior where I work.
    I just happen to live in a bad spot for most providers.
    Vodafone seems to be best (trying Three next)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Meathead82

is the thread.

I'd be up for this Spotify family deal also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

As said by others, it can be location dependant.

But in terms of network reliability and average data speeds in dense areas, I’d say you pretty much quoted them in order of performance (with Vodafone being ahead of all of them).

Also Eir’s customer service is known for being brutal so expect a lot of time wasting if you have a problem (Tesco seems to be much better on that front, and not sure about Three).

Bob24 wrote:
    But in terms of network reliability and average data speeds in dense areas, I’d say you pretty much quoted them in order of performance (with Vodafone being ahead of all of them).

Bob24 wrote:
    Also Eir’s customer service is known for being brutal so expect a lot of time wasting if you have a problem (Tesco seems to be much better on that front, and not sure about Three).

Correct ref Eir ,Tesco cc are ok but their speeds are dire VF way ahead of the pack

Eir to be avoided at all costs ( for your mental well being) Tesco so so) 3 much and much with Tesco

Well I was in their store on Henry St, Dublin. The girl behind the counter tried to invoke the age clause but failed to notice that someone over 25 could avail of the offer.

She took photocopy of my student ID & processed application. Next time I top up by €20 the plan will be active.

Could have done it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I didn't spot it mentioned here yet, but an option that might help people who don't want to pay for Spotify is using YouTube premium. Sign up in India (using the same steps as the cheap Netflix thread) and it works out at €2.30 or so a month, and you can have 6 people on your family plan if you want to share. You get YouTube premium, YouTube music and Google play music. I pay using revolut, not sure if you could set it up and then switch to carrier payment, maybe though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

This might work for some people looking to change provider now.
    Virgin are doing unlimited data, calls and texts for €5 a month for 5 months for broadband and TV subscribers on no contract so can cancel anytime.
    After that, it's €25 a month for same.
    You can have up to 5 sims on each account which most people won't use so just find a friend with Virgin B/B or TV and ask them to piggy back.
    Sim gets sent to their address.
    Coverage is as good as Vodafone for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jellyonaplate

dulpit wrote: »
    I didn't spot it mentioned here yet, but an option that might help people who don't want to pay for Spotify is using YouTube premium. Sign up in India (using the same steps as the cheap Netflix thread) and it works out at €2.30 or so a month, and you can have 6 people on your family plan if you want to share. You get YouTube premium, YouTube music and Google play music. I pay using revolut, not sure if you could set it up and then switch to carrier payment, maybe though...

What vpn would you recommend ?
    I tried a few free ones on the Mac and they didn’t have India as an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What vpn would you recommend ?
    I tried a few free ones on the Mac and they didn’t have India as an option

I used tor browser and set my exit node to India. You can see my post commented here for instructions for Netflix and Turkey: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057802168/53/#post111131756, its the same except you set exit node to in

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Any current deal for switching to vodafone X from another provider this month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Signed up for Vodafone X with sky sports...any idea how i activate the sky sports app/package?!

Pacifico wrote: »
    Signed up for Vodafone X with sky sports...any idea how i activate the sky sports app/package?!

Click here. There is an old post on the Vodafone forum about activating Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

If I want to change from music to another option do I just let my current deal expire at midnight and text for another option and top up ?
    I’m sure that’s how it’s done but I just want to double check

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If I want to change from music to another option do I just let my current deal expire at midnight and text for another option and top up ?

Yes. Don't text when you have a balance left as it'll be wiped out immediately.

Ask me how I know this.

• Advertisement

Sign in to your Vodafone account. Select top up offer. It will bring you to a page where you can select whatever you want. The offer will change the next time you top up.

Sign in to your Vodafone account. Select top up offer. It will bring you to a page where you can select whatever you want. The offer will change the next time you top up.

Just a heads up for anyone else the offer changes straight away, only lost 3 days so not too bad

You lose your current balance when you switch.

So I switched from music to sky sports and my Spotify premium is still running which is strange

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

dulpit wrote: »

Hi dulpit, did any of your family member get the following error?

Looks like you're in a different country from the family manager.

have tried VPN/Tor browser to register the family member, but keep getting same error

Cheers
    Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

So I switched from music to sky sports and my Spotify premium is still running which is strange

It will stay active until your months subscription is up.

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    It will stay active until your months subscription is up.

Yes but that date has been and gone and it’s still active

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Whats the best SIM only deal for kids out there now, Data is key, voice and texts not so important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Pauly26 wrote:
    Looks like you're in a different country from the family manager.

Yes, my husband's account world perfect but when he went to add me that's the same message I got, would love to know how to get it to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Whats the best SIM only deal for kids out there now, Data is key, voice and texts not so important

Define best?
    Quality?
    Value? (Cheap)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I got a text inviting me to a Level Up website from Vodafone, offering courses, working spaces, and 6 months free spotify... it's not clear if the 6 months are available to existing Vodafone X with Spotify customers. I'm confused by this.

Here's the link https://www.vodafonexlevelup.com/

• Advertisement

I got a text inviting me to a Level Up website from Vodafone, offering courses, working spaces, and 6 months free spotify... it's not clear if the 6 months are available to existing Vodafone X with Spotify customers. I'm confused by this.

Same ,,I haven't a clue what this is all about

Same ,,I haven't a clue what this is all about

It’s aimed at the young folk (students)
    Sounded stupid to me so I just deleted the text, Vodafone have done a terrible job explaining it but as long as I get 20gb of data with texts and a few minutes I’m happy

biebiebie wrote: »
    Define best?
    Quality?
    Value? (Cheap)

Reasonable coverage, minimally 4G, and needs to be lots of Data, min 10G-15G to be on the safe side, not lots of minutes or texts as they sledom make calls. Currently on a all you can eat SIMO deal with Eir, but cost increased to 30E a month and that's just too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Reasonable coverage, minimally 4G, and needs to be lots of Data, min 10G-15G to be on the safe side, not lots of minutes or texts as they sledom make calls. Currently on a all you can eat SIMO deal with Eir, but cost increased to 30E a month and that's just too much.

3 sim only 20 euro top up every 28 days
    All you can eat data

VF has the best coverage and X Weekends gives 25gb (extra free at the weekends) for €20. Hard to beat IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

naughto wrote: »
    3 sim only 20 euro top up every 28 days
    All you can eat data

3 are rubbish, outside of towns I never had internet, call coverage was patchy enough too.

VF has the best coverage and X Weekends gives 25gb (extra free at the weekends) for €20. Hard to beat IMHO.

thanks for the feedback. How does it work, do i have to top-up every 28 days, is there a way to set it up as a direct debit or standing order? as i dont want the hassle of having to do it for 3 kids at potentially 3 different dates every month.......Yes, i appreciate that it would be warranted to say i need to be more organised, but i know this will get missed if its a manual process..... :)

thanks for the feedback. How does it work, do i have to top-up every 28 days, is there a way to set it up as a direct debit or standing order? as i dont want the hassle of having to do it for 3 kids at potentially 3 different dates every month.......Yes, i appreciate that it would be warranted to say i need to be more organised, but i know this will get missed if its a manual process..... :)

You can set it up through the vodafone app for each account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I switched to this last week from Vodafone bill pay and now my mobile hotspot no longer works. I use that all the time so this is pretty useless for me without it. I tried calling Vodafone about it but can't seem to actually get through to anyone, I just get talked at by a machine. From the little digging I did I found a couple of others with the same problem in 2018 who suggested that tethering isn't supported on Vodafone payg anymore. Does tethering work for anyone on this thread? Without it I'll be going back to bill pay or just leaving Vodafone shortly.

I switched to this last week from Vodafone bill pay and now my mobile hotspot no longer works. I use that all the time so this is pretty useless for me without it. I tried calling Vodafone about it but can't seem to actually get through to anyone, I just get talked at by a machine. From the little digging I did I found a couple of others with the same problem in 2018 who suggested that tethering isn't supported on Vodafone payg anymore. Does tethering work for anyone on this thread? Without it I'll be going back to bill pay or just leaving Vodafone shortly.

I was able to tether my phone to my car during the week without any issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement