Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window sensor replacement

Options
  • 08-03-2017 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my partners window sensor in the bathroom has been faulty for a while as it shows up as open, possibly from condensation etc.
    I've attached a photo of the old sensor (right hand) and a new sensor I got from a supplier (left hand). Could someone tell me what connections do I connect to on the new sensor or an Aritech supplier in south Dublin or Navan that I could get like for like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Payton wrote: »
    Hi all, my partners window sensor in the bathroom has been faulty for a while as it shows up as open, possibly from condensation etc.
    I've attached a photo of the old sensor (right hand) and a new sensor I got from a supplier (left hand). Could someone tell me what connections do I connect to on the new sensor or an Aritech supplier in south Dublin or Navan that I could get like for like.

Counting the terminals on the new sensor either way.

1 and 6 Spare
    2 and 5 Inertia
    3 and 4 Tamper

The two cores that would of been in the sensor head on the Aritech sensor go into 2 and 5.
    Tamper is the two in the block beside each other, they go into the 3 and 4.
    Other two are spare 1 and 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

altor wrote: »
    Counting the terminals on the new sensor either way.

1 and 6 Spare
    2 and 5 Inertia
    3 and 4 Tamper

The two cores that would of been in the sensor head on the Aritech sensor go into 2 and 5.
    Tamper is the two in the block beside each other, they go into the 3 and 4.
    Other two are spare 1 and 6.
    Thank you. Am I to take that terminal 1 is beside the spring? if so I'll have a go at it tomorrow evening.

Thank you. Am I to take that terminal 1 is beside the spring? if so I'll have a go at it tomorrow evening.

You're welcome.

You can or you can count the other way.
    Both would be correct.

Just an update. I connected the sensor up and set the alarm then back upstairs and I gave the window frame a bang and the alarm went off.
    So I was tidying up and as we were leaving the alarm was being set and the same window is being displayed as open. I opened the sensor back up and connected the 2 wires together and the alarm set ok?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Did you open the window by any chance? The magnet may need to be realigned on the opening section of that window. Just bear in mind the different positions of the reed switches in the 2 different sensors.

• Advertisement

Just an update. I connected the sensor up and set the alarm then back upstairs and I gave the window frame a bang and the alarm went off.
    So I was tidying up and as we were leaving the alarm was being set and the same window is being displayed as open. I opened the sensor back up and connected the 2 wires together and the alarm set ok?.

Is the arrow on the sensor head pointing up?

You learn a little every day. I didn't realize that there was an arrow, so I have it pointing up and it's working now. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Different sensor types have different requirements for alignment. Aritech ones must have the writing aligned horizontally.
    Easy once you know as they say.

You learn a little every day. I didn't realize that there was an arrow, so I have it pointing up and it's working now. Thanks again.

You wont be the last person caught out by that one :D

Glad you got it all sorted in the end tho.

Advertisement