Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption versus fostering - the merits of each

Options
  • 24-05-2016 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hi, have seen friends go this route, and it isn't an easy road. They had to be homeowners, they had to be married , and to date have spent a 5 figure sum on exploring options. To go ahead with the preferred option would cost tens of thousands more.
    So unless you are extremely wealthy, or have a pregnant family member in need of help I'd also suggest fostering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That's mad talk about the money. Doesn't cost that sort of money if you don't want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

zef wrote: »
    Hi, have seen friends go this route, and it isn't an easy road. They had to be homeowners, they had to be married , and to date have spent a 5 figure sum on exploring options. To go ahead with the preferred option would cost tens of thousands more.
    So unless you are extremely wealthy, or have a pregnant family member in need of help I'd also suggest fostering.

Unless there preferred options are Usa for an infant it does not cost that much. There are agency fees involved, yes, but if going for Vietnam, China, Bulgaria it will be less than €20,000 and if going for Thailand or Phillipines there are no agencies involved so is alot less again.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

OMG, just listen to yourselfs. Looking for a bargain in the baby market.

kathy finn wrote: »
    OMG, just listen to yourselfs. Looking for a bargain in the baby market.

In fairness Kathy that comment is as offensive as any above.
    I merely posted that the talk of such costs was way exagerated.

There is no point in pretending that there are no costs involved either. The majority of governments with support of Hauge have offloaded the assessments and work to agencies and the prospective parents then cover the cost of having the preparatory work completed.

Balance on both sides is required but their is no sense deamonising prospective adoptive parents because there are costs involved in adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Well i found previous posts offensive, its like your talking about getting best breed of dog for a bargain price, these are real children.
    Adoption should be about getting homes for children not about getting children for homes.
    Lots of older Irish children looking for good foster homes.

• Advertisement

Well i found previous posts offensive, its like your talking about getting best breed of dog for a bargain price, these are real children.
    Adoption should be about getting homes for children not about getting children for homes.

Fostering is a wonderful process but its just not for everyone....

I know not everyone supports international adoption it but equally everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't like to see the costs talked publicly because its a private thing, but then its a very fine balance as it shouldn't be driven behind closed doors and down alleyways either, neither should people be sitgmatised for the cost being a consideration. I intended no offence to anyone and only posted to correct a wild exaggeration I saw in a post.

I think people wondering about costs and other aspects of Intercountry Adoption would have all their questions answered privately and without being judged harshly if they spoke to organisations like the IAA The staff are professional, friendly and very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

There are lots of children needing families, domestic adoption though there are few, fostering, intercountry adoption from many foreign countries. There are no greater or lesser causes in my opinion and faced with these decisions we seriously consider all options to make the right choice for our individual family and realistically finances impact on our decisions, For many reasons fostering is not always an option due to the requirement of one parent having to give up work completely in alot of cases, different ways of making up families and finances come into all families regardless on how they are made, biological families may not have that 2nd, 3rd, 4th child due to finances or they may be able to afford as many as they are blessed with.

Advertisement