Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda cars outrun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Didn't they just spend a small fortune on a bunch of new high powered toys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Who would "the source" be?

A garda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

A garda?

Unlikely to be the owner of a black S3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

josip wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspected-burglary-gang-flee-dublin-mountains-after-seven-car-garda-chase-35511851.html

Some things in this I don't understand.

What's the point in sending 7 cars in pursuit if they're only 1.7l Hyundai's and they know they can't catch them?

Why didn't they call in a motorbike? I thought they've got some fairly powerful bikes for pursuit?

Where was the Garda helicopter?

And the same dumb paper yesterday was reporting that these criminals were no longer using high powered cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

"Wicklow Gardai are now involved in the search"

If we couldn't them with our newish Hyundais, there's not a chance they'll catch them with our cast offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭gifted

Hyundai have a 7 year warranty....saving us s fortune ..lol lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With the OP's headline, I thought it was about, feet propelled vehicles, a la Fred Flinstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspected-burglary-gang-flee-dublin-mountains-after-seven-car-garda-chase-35511851.html

Some things in this I don't understand.

What's the point in sending 7 cars in pursuit if they're only 1.7l Hyundai's and they know they can't catch them?

Why didn't they call in a motorbike? I thought they've got some fairly powerful bikes for pursuit?

Where was the Garda helicopter?

The article doesn't say that the 7 vehicles were in the pursuit. There could have been 1 in pursuit and 6 deployed ahead to try and stop it, plenty of side roads that can be taken. The scumbags would probably run a Garda bike off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Garda should have military spec surveillance drones to cover situations like this when the Garda helicopter isn't available ,
    Along with proper built out pursuit cars mad to think in this day and age the garda have no real pursuit capabilities

Water John wrote: »
    With the OP's headline, I thought it was about, feet propelled vehicles, a la Fred Flinstone.

Apologies but I genuinely tried to avoid a clickbait title so I didn't use terms like 'Keystone'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I'd imagine the amount of guys who have the car and skills to outrun a garda is so small that investing a tonne of money in faster cars isn't cost effective in the eyes of senior management.

How many times have we heard of criminals speeding away from a crime and immediately crashing and being arrested?

The average burglar or the like just hasn't the training or experience to drive a car quickly enough to really lose them. I've seen it on road wars where a lad being chased on a full on Sports bike capable of 170mph+ can't get away from a copper on a BMW tourer that would be a much less sporty bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Gives them time to eat a few donuts, drink the costa coffee. It's as good as playing GTA as when they are back in the station doing office work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Unlikely to be the owner of a black S3 :)

With that "news" site it wouldn't surprise me if the journalist was driving the getaway car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Also, no current or previous S3 came in a 2.7 litre twin turbo engine, so I've no idea where theyre getting that info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

CaptainR wrote: »
    I'd imagine the amount of guys who have the car and skills to outrun a garda is so small that investing a tonne of money in faster cars isn't cost effective in the eyes of senior management.

How many times have we heard of criminals speeding away from a crime and immediately crashing and being arrested?

The average burglar or the like just hasn't the training or experience to drive a car quickly enough to really lose them. I've seen it on road wars where a lad being chased on a full on Sports bike capable of 170mph+ can't get away from a copper on a BMW tourer that would be a much less sporty bike.

Police in the UK are specially trained. That's not the case here. A scummer with few weekends practice in Mondello and a modified civic would leave them for dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Helicopters could have been on another job!

More likely it's down for maintenance ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

7 Garda cars could not catch like 4 s'bags in 1 car on small narrow twisty roads where the speeds would have been limited?

There's only so many roads in and out of that area, surely they could have coordinated the pursuit to block off any of the escape roads or did this car have warp drive and disappeared into a blackhole?

"The guards are driving 1.7 litre Hyundais and don't have a hope against a car like that" - -- 7 Micra's could have caught one car, there radio's are faster than any car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Similarly the way wiki have removed the Daily Mail from source articles, any chance we can remove the Indo from boards.ie?
    The quality of reporting and 'sources' is just dire these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I knew Trespass Against Us would give a few skangers the goo for a chase when they'd seen it.

Ban all movies I says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You don't need powerful cars to outrun the guards if the guards don't know the roads. The guards have the rest of the public to think about too, 8 cars doing 170km on a road to a mountain? It's not worth the risk to life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Gatling wrote: »
    The Garda should have military spec surveillance drones to cover situations like this when the Garda helicopter isn't available ,
    Along with proper built out pursuit cars mad to think in this day and age the garda have no real pursuit capabilities

They don't need it.

I'd generally expect them to be able to radio ahead so someone can close out a road to trap'em. This would be difficult to achieve in the mountains with so many off roads and the helicopter not available to track the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    7 Garda cars could not catch like 4 s'bags in 1 car on small narrow twisty roads where the speeds would have been limited?

There's only so many roads in and out of that area, surely they could have coordinated the pursuit to block off any of the escape roads or did this car have warp drive and disappeared into a blackhole?

"The guards are driving 1.7 litre Hyundais and don't have a hope against a car like that" - -- 7 Micra's could have caught one car, there radio's are faster than any car...

There's loads of roads around the area that interlink with each other and I don't think that the Garda radios have good coverage there. Watching UK police shows the scumbags still manage to escape from pursuit with multiple vehicles, they know that the more reckless they drive means that the pursuit has to be called off.

They said: "The last sighting of the vehicle was on the Blessington Road heading out bound towards [the town], but was chased towards the mountains and lost."

There's one road back up to Sally Gap and one over towards Ballinascorney..

I just think there's too much blame on the fact the Gards drive family cars and not hot hatches for the reason they lost contact...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remember AGS are trying not to kill any members of the public, these scrotes dont care.

I'd much rather they get away than a pursuit car Tbones a people carrier and wipes out a family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CaptainR wrote: »

I'd disagree. Plenty get away from police, it's not that hard unless the helicopter is there. Road wars aren't going to show loads of footage of people getting away. And if you take a trip up the Dublin mountains, evidence suggests the average scummer has plenty of practice on those roads, far more than the local gardai

Just about the bikes, I thought that the bikes would just track and keep up with the S3 to provide the location to cars/helicopter?
    Like this guy.
    (The bike at the start of that chase is the police bike and he only catches the target bike around the 1 minute mark)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

ED E wrote: »
    Remember AGS are trying not to kill any members of the public, these scrotes dont care.

I'd much rather they get away than a pursuit car Tbones a people carrier and wipes out a family.
    Or lose some control of their car and kills themselves. Every driver of each of those 7 cars in the chase would have a family. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to lay their life out in pursuit of property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A garda?

Quite possibly, or someone close to one.

The tools they have to do their job aren't what they once were and there's a good case to say that they're not fit for purpose. A lot of them are p1ssed off about that... which is good to see.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    The tools they have to do their job aren't what they once were and there's a good case to say that they're not fit for purpose. A lot of them are p1ssed off about that... which is good to see.

Why give them faster/more powerful cars as the previous poster has said:
    I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to lay their life out in pursuit of property.

Advertisement