Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda cars outrun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I spent my younger years driving the Dublin hills/Wicklow mountains and I'd be fairly confident taking on several members of the AGS from the country that aren't as familiar with the roads as I am. Even with the same cars.

If the scangers know the area, and most of them from south/west Dublin do, then the AGS hadn't a hope without the helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

From the thread title, I was hoping someone remade the classic arcade game Outrun with added Garda cars.
    Needless to say, the story was an enormous let-down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, people are forgetting that the Gardaí aren't just chasing the car, they have everything else to think about, road safety, pedestrians, built up areas. And the fact that the Gardaí are in Hyundai i30's (1.6L Diesel), which are the same as the ones you can walk in and buy, so they've standard suspension, tyres, etc, meanwhile an S3 is built for speed and handling, so would easily outrun and/or out-corner them. I was involved in a chase with a Lexus is220, and while i was in a 2.0L Diesel Avensis, you could tell that with any bit of skill i should have been left for dust. It was a 40 minute chase through the city and country, and there were at least 8 Garda cars involved, but only 3 really "chasing". The rest were at strategic points with the hope of stopping the driver, but that rarely happens. Stingers are great, but you have to be very careful about where you use them. The helicoptor is based in Dublin and would probably have been negatively cost effective to send it out, ie: cost vs likelihood of it getting there in time. And, as someone said, the scumbags want to get away, the Gardaí want to get home safe, and if you've ever driven an i30 flat out, you too would be tentative about going flat out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah, people are forgetting that the Gardaí aren't just chasing the car, they have everything else to think about, road safety, pedestrians, built up areas. And the fact that the Gardaí are in Hyundai i30's (1.6L Diesel), which are the same as the ones you can walk in and buy, so they've standard suspension, tyres, etc, meanwhile an S3 is built for speed and handling, so would easily outrun and/or out-corner them. I was involved in a chase with a Lexus is220, and while i was in a 2.0L Diesel Avensis, you could tell that with any bit of skill i should have been left for dust. It was a 40 minute chase through the city and country, and there were at least 8 Garda cars involved, but only 3 really "chasing". The rest were at strategic points with the hope of stopping the driver, but that rarely happens. Stingers are great, but you have to be very careful about where you use them. The helicoptor is based in Dublin and would probably have been negatively cost effective to send it out, ie: cost vs likelihood of it getting there in time. And, as someone said, the scumbags want to get away, the Gardaí want to get home safe, and if you've ever driven an i30 flat out, you too would be tentative about going flat out...

If the helicopter took off it would have seen the chase, Casement is only a few km from the Blessington road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There are regular chases in Limerick City. In at least one, the car being chased went off the road, over an overpass type bridge, I think. These chases happen on busy parts of the city. It's more dangerous to the public, than leaving them go and trying to intercept them ahead. Chasing them only makes them go faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the helicopter took off it would have seen the chase, Casement is only a few km from the Blessington road.

See, i wouldn't know that. Anything above Tipperary and i have very little knowledge of it! More than likely so it was broke, or management decided it would cost too much for a "simple" chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

thats a stupid issue to put on cover,like garda got outrun by performance car.

given area and time,its total risk to pull stunts,only way could been to block off roads and call in helicopter,since garda will never risk or pursue someone to endanger public.Even countries like US has plenty of footage where chases on motorways etc,result in backing off and using surveillance from helicopter to do the work.thus stupid mentality that it was performance that resulted in failure is nonsense.

car being able to pull 200km/h wont do any good if slightest mistake could result in multiple fatalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Best solution would be a roof mounted drone like this one, it's slow but with HD thermal cameras all it has to do is head straight up to 3,000ft and track vehicle with thermal cameras for up to 20mins. Just 'slightly' cheaper than a helicopter, pilots and maintenance team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why give them faster/more powerful cars as the previous poster has said:

Because faster, more powerful cars can be driven safer at higher speeds. A Merc is going to handle a lot better than a Micra at 160km/h.

Also, having a well equipped fleet acts as a deterrent. We could replace all cars with bicycles as it's safer but I'm sure a lot more scrotes would fancy their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Best solution would be a roof mounted drone like this one, it's slow but with HD thermal cameras all it has to do is head straight up to 3,000ft and track vehicle with thermal cameras for up to 20mins. Just 'slightly' cheaper than a helicopter, pilots and maintenance team.

20 mins would be no good and can only be flown in certain weather conditions ,
    You would need a proper fixed wing drone or rotorary with a a proper engine to be any use in a chase situation that can fly for several hours

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

In the 90s the Garda had sierra cosworths.
    They gave them up for being "too powerful "
    It's not about the car.Its about whether the driver has the right training for high speed pursuits.
    A basic i40 flat out will do 190 kmph.
    The Garda ones are the higher powered engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Damien360

Why aren't they using the SRI and other high performance non descript seized rockets?
    I know the X5 and land cruiser are been used by ERU

But also dublin guards would seem to be under resourced, boots wise and with equipment because of the gangland stuff which they've got a hold of at the moment.

The Q7's and X5's etc are used by the armed reposted units. They are not Garda traffic corp or regular Garda cars who were more than likely the guys doing this chase.

As for resourcing. It is the same all over the country. They need to bring the percentage of Gardai per head of population up and the number of cars they have has to rise with those extra Gardai. Higher crime areas need to go over the average Garda per population. But, no garda wants to work in those areas and do everything in their power to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

The guards have the rest of the public to think about too, 8 cars doing 170km on a road to a mountain? It's not worth the risk to life

Was just thinking that.

I've been hit full on while cycling by a stolen car that was being pursued.

It is quite an experience ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Imagine if we legalised weed and psychedelics. We could buy the coppers faster cars and a few more helicopters.

No you cant! think of the children wah! wah! wah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Imagine if we legalised weed and psychedelics. We could buy the coppers faster cars and a few more helicopters.

No you cant! think of the children wah! wah! wah!
    discussion for another topic while this would bring in a lot of revenue,this case was more of point that guards need better communications and stuff like being able to call helicopter when needed,thus garda have more then suitable cars for everyday work,but if its to expensive to get helicopter which could do job of whole fleet that was out thats an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Fine we'll leave the gangsters out provision the state then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A scumbag came flying through my estate in a jaguar x type an hour ago with an i40 in hot pursuit, flew up a one way with cops keeping up nicely. Nearly ran my better half off the road and actually did run the car in front of us into the kerb. To be fair, the Hyundai aren't exactly the most suitable but the lads in the jag weren't losing the Gardai too easily.

Komputer says it's between 10.3 - 12.6 seconds for an Hyundai i40 to get to 62mph, that's big van and caravan territory.
    Surely there's a turbo, high-octane fuel or at very least go-faster red stripes added to these base models?

Gatling wrote: »
    20 mins would be no good and can only be flown in certain weather conditions ,
    You would need a proper fixed wing drone or rotorary with a a proper engine to be any use in a chase situation that can fly for several hours

It would be using similar HD i-Red cameras to a chopper, surely there are some drones that are able to fly in the rain. It also has immediate dispatch and another model could take over after 20mins. Budget wise guesstimate it's <0.01% the cost of aircrew and support team per device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hard luck to the Gardai for not catching the scummy cúnts in time. You will somehow get your intentions for justice someday.

On the other hand; it is a kick in the teeth that the chased scumbags would not get a whiff of a hard sentence in a country like Ireland. It really is sickening to see injustice happen to these lowlifes on a daily basis in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    7 Garda cars could not catch like 4 s'bags in 1 car on small narrow twisty roads where the speeds would have been limited?

There's only so many roads in and out of that area, surely they could have coordinated the pursuit to block off any of the escape roads or did this car have warp drive and disappeared into a blackhole?
    Or the driver had an idea where he could stop. All you need to do is lose the cops for a minute, and bam, you're in someones driveway behind a hedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Be nicer if they actually buried the car in a hedge before they end up killing someone.

All the talk of high powered cars makes me laugh.

These cars are Audi Q7 3.0 TDI and also the 5 series 3.0 TDI.

These cars and 4x4 aren't suitable for chasing small hot hatches.

They need the likes of say focus st, Octavia or fabia vrs, mini cooper, some actual hot hatches that should definitely handle better then a family saloon or estate.

Years ago garda cars were modified and in some cases chipped and other add ons but it seems the powers that be are more then happy to purchase IMO very poor choice vehicles.

Day to day run of the mill cruising around fine maybe but to user to get to a crime or any other emergency the vehicles should be to a very high standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

A scumbag came flying through my estate in a jaguar x type an hour ago with an i40 in hot pursuit, flew up a one way with cops keeping up nicely. Nearly ran my better half off the road and actually did run the car in front of us into the kerb. To be fair, the Hyundai aren't exactly the most suitable but the lads in the jag weren't losing the Gardai too easily.

Although to be fair an X type Jag is basically a Ford Mondeo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

conor2469 wrote: »
    Although to be fair an X type Jag is basically a Ford Mondeo.

Imagine if they had been giving chase in a mondeo?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What would be the cheapest car you can get that you could be confident could outrun anything that the guards have ?
    I guess more than you might pay for a standard car to just get you around, but if it wasnt too much extra, it could be money well spent for the peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember a mate who drove for UK police force used to drive a ProDrive Subaru impreza (ProDrive specifically tune and sort rally cars ) don't think we have anything like that here ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What would be the cheapest car you can get that you could be confident could outrun anything that the guards have ?
    I guess more than you might pay for a standard car to just get you around, but if it wasnt too much extra, it could be money well spent for the peace of mind.

A diesel merc, a turbo off an old Scania truck n there you go

http://youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I remember a mate who drove for UK police force used to drive a ProDrive Subaru impreza (ProDrive specifically tune and sort rally cars ) don't think we have anything like that here ,

They would be special units like Interceptors. Often have cars like the S3, Skoda VRS etc...
    We should have something like that here I think around the major cities that could respond fast.
    Don't think we have anything like that but could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,679 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always feel sorry for the Gardai in these situation.
    If they chase them and the guys in the stolen car crashes and kills/injury's somebody or themselves. It's the Gardai fault and if they don't chase them. It's where were the Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Garda should have military spec surveillance drones to cover situations like this when the Garda helicopter isn't available ,
    Along with proper built out pursuit cars mad to think in this day and age the garda have no real pursuit capabilities

The Gardai have strict rules on pursuits as they generally endanger other road users

Advertisement