Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hausken mod fit ??

Options
  • 08-03-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I was on to a couple of gunshops there about getting the hausken moderatorfor the rifle. I have a Tikka T3 tactical .223, they both told me that because of the heavy barrel the 223moderator would not fit over it, one lad said to use the 243 calibre the other lad said use the 30 calibre.
    Just a quick shout out to any of you guys with this sort of experience any advice on this matter would be great. I appreciate that I would lose a bit of Sound reduction but which should I go for.
    Any other pointers on this would be great.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Have a chat with Dom Byrne in Wexford.

http://www.domscustomrifles.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I am not familiar with the hausken mods but I had a look at their website and it says the standard version will take barrels up to 21mm diameter and they have a HB version that will take barrels up to 23mm diameter.
    Your tikka barrel has a 22mm diameter barrel so you would need the HB version.
    I would think you should be able to get this version in 223 calibre.
    You would need to contact hausken or their importers to see.
    Gunshops may try to sell you whatever they have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

zeissman wrote: »
    I am not familiar with the hausken mods but I had a look at their website and it says the standard version will take barrels up to 21mm diameter and they have a HB version that will take barrels up to 23mm diameter.
    Your tikka barrel has a 22mm diameter barrel so you would need the HB version.
    I would think you should be able to get this version in 223 calibre.
    You would need to contact hausken or their importers to see.
    Gunshops may try to sell you whatever they have in stock.

Yes that was one of my thoughts, thanks for that.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Have a chat with Dom Byrne in Wexford.

http://www.domscustomrifles.ie

Thanks for that,
    I spoke to Dom he actually recommended the wild cat evolution.
    Me head is rightly fuped now.

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Thanks for that,
    I spoke to Dom he actually recommended the wild cat evolution.
    Me head is rightly fuped now.

Bought a dpt overbarrel mod recently.
    Great bit of kit. Shorter and lighter than the wildcat evo.

• Advertisement

zeissman wrote: »
    Bought a dpt overbarrel mod recently.
    Great bit of kit. Shorter and lighter than the wildcat evo.

Yea my gun is heavy so every gram counts.
    Where did you buy.

Yea my gun is heavy so every gram counts.
    Where did you buy.

Hi
    I sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

You need to talk to John lambert. He's the importer for hausken. He'll be able to answer any questions. I've a 30cal hausken on my 243 and can't fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I bought my Hausken from John Lambert for my Sako 75 with the heavy fluted barrel 5/8th UNF thread. He fitted it there and then. Put a 5/8th thread insert into the mod and assembled the mod for me as I watched. Looks to have plenty of space around the barrel.
    I'll also use it on my heavy barrel CZ .223, I can't hear any difference in the noise between the two.

Great saving on the weight from the ASE Northstar mod I was using. I use it all the time now when out hunting.

You need to talk to John Lambert. He's the importer for Hausken. He'll be able to answer any questions.

clivej wrote: »
    I bought my Hausken from John Lambert for my Sako 75 with the heavy fluted barrel 5/8th UNF thread. He fitted it there and then. Put a 5/8th thread insert into the mod and assembled the mod for me as I watched. Looks to have plenty of space around the barrel.
    I'll also use it on my heavy barrel CZ .223, I can't hear any difference in the noise between the two.

Great saving on the weight from the ASE Northstar mod I was using. I use it all the time now when out hunting.

You need to talk to John Lambert. He's the importer for Hausken. He'll be able to answer any questions.
    Thanks Clive,
    It was John who said that about the .243 mod on the .223. I wasn't doubting him for a second but I was just wondering did anyone else do the same thing and what it sounded like.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Hausken are known for having the bore on the tight side. The 243 mod on a 223 is ideal. On my 308's I opened the holes slightly and got rid of flyers. John Lambert is where I got mine from.
    edi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just a quick shout out to any of you guys with this sort of experience any advice on this matter would be great. I appreciate that I would lose a bit of Sound reduction but which should I go for.
    Any other pointers on this would be great..
    ........... but I was just wondering did anyone else do the same thing and what it sounded like. .
    I have and still use larger calibre suppressors on most of my rifles.

A few reasons, but the main one(s) are:
    • Can use a single mod on multiple rifles
    • No difference in sound reduction
    • No difference in performance
    • Cheaper than buying multiple suppressors
    I have/had :
    • A 30 cal on my 308 and 223
    • A .25 cal on my 223 and my hmr
    • A 6.5 cal on my 243 and .22lr

The only downside i've found is sometimes the larger calibre suppressor designed for a large or magnum calibre can be heavier than a smaller or dedicated suppressor. On a small/lightweight rifle this can cause ""tipping" effect on the muzzle. However choose right and this won't be an issue.

The other one is cleaning. If i stick the 0.25cal mod on my hmr the fouling from the hmr is pretty bad. It means more cleaning and if the suppressor is not modular then its a pain in the ass.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

Mate got a hausken mod for tikka t3 tactical in 308 it's perfect and on a tac in 223. Don't take just anyone's word for it. John Lambert Camolin, 308 one bought there

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Cass wrote: »
    I have and still use larger calibre suppressors on most of my rifles.

+1

I have a 30cal on my 223. Hausken at that!

I'd love to see if we could line up a 25 cal mod and do a db meter test. Once and for all.

'hdz

hedzball wrote: »
    +1

I have a 30cal on my 223. Hausken at that!

I'd love to see if we could line up a 25 cal mod and do a db meter test. Once and for all.

'hdz

I have a 1/14 243 JD224 Hausken if you want to test.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

ejg wrote: »
    I have a 1/14 243 JD224 Hausken if you want to test.
    edi

I'll actually take you up on that edi.

I need to finish wiring your shed too :pac::pac::pac:

No worries, drop in when you can.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Hausken are known for having the bore on the tight side. The 243 mod on a 223 is ideal. On my 308's I opened the holes slightly and got rid of flyers. John Lambert is where I got mine from.
    edi

Edi, when you say you were getting flyers before opening the holes, roughly what proportion of shots were off, and by how much (again roughly speaking)?

And when you opened the holes slightly, can you give any idea of how much you took off?

I'm interested because I have a 6.5 Hausken jd224 which I plan on using on a 6.5x55, so I may well end up having to do something similar.

Sako,
    it was on two 308 T3x CTR's and both with Hausken.
    Some days I would be able to shoot a fantastic 3 shot group other days 1 out of 5 would ruin the group. They would open up to about 3/4"-1". I blamed it on ammo first but then measured the mod bore and thought it would be very tight. Opened up only by 0.3-0.4mm. Since then consistent groups. Later I met Morten Krogh owner of Schulz and Larsen who also makes moderators. He mentioned to me was that Hauskens have a too small bore for cal. and that it was known. The JD224 is a very quite mod and according to a German test had the best weight to sound reduction value.
    I don't know if you will need to open the bore in your mod. Try it first but if you get flyers it could of course be that.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Many thanks for that Edi. As you say I'll try it out as is, and then widen out the holes slightly in the mod if there's a problem. (Apologies, by the way, for the late reply: I was away with work.)
    Some days I would be able to shoot a fantastic 3 shot group other days 1 out of 5 would ruin the group. They would open up to about 3/4"-1".

If I'm totally honest though, I'd be more than happy with any groups of an inch or less!

• Advertisement
Advertisement