Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloud Backup

• 08-03-2017 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

We are looking for a good cloud backup service for our office servers as our boss is worried about the possibility of a ransomware attack.

Can anyone recommend any for a small office (circa 6-7 employees)? Our server currently has around 500gb of data on it which we backup on site alternating between 2 external harddrives.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Do you backup off site at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Wheety wrote: »
    Jason_Arch wrote: »
    Our server currently has around 500gb of data on it which we backup on site alternating between 2 external harddrives.

Sounds like it (if they take the harddrives with them!) :pac:

I'd investigate OneDrive for Business, but if you want more (way more) information here's a good matrix comparing a few!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_backup_services

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

Wheety wrote: »

Not through the cloud currently, just by physically having one of the harddrives away from the office (more in case of fire than anything). The current system was setup by our external IT company, when the harddrive is plugged in, it begins to automatically back up.
    me_irl wrote: »
    Sounds like it (if they take the harddrives with them!) :pac:

I'd investigate OneDrive for Business, but if you want more (way more) information here's a good matrix comparing a few!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_backup_services

Is OneDrive for Business actually good? Quick reading up this morning and some people are saying to avoid. It might not be exactly what we need though - we normally use Dropbox for any file sharing that we do.

What we are looking for now is a cloud service to backup one PC (our server) with little to no input from ourselves apart from initial set up or in the case that we are unfortunate enough to be targeted by ransomware and need to retrieve a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Crashplan would probably do you. $5-6/mo for unlimited storage from one host including server OSs (run mine on 2008R2).

They have full retention too:
    Subscribers of CrashPlan for Home have the option to change the default version settings, which includes the ability to keep all versions of all files forever.

This means if your server got infected but spent 10 days slowly encrypting everything only to then go "BOOM, GOTCHA" you would still have the good copies in your backup (they wouldnt be overwritten by the encrypted copies). Even 3yrs later you'd still have them, though youd have noticed by then one would hope.

The cons for me are:
    Its slowish (You have to pay premium to use their Irish storage)
    The client is Java and a bit of a ram whore (800MB with 700GB of data backed up).

It also does TNO so CP dont know what you're storing, they just get an encrypted blob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Second for Crashplan. Cheap & efficient. I use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement