Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro, or Macbook?

Options
  • 08-03-2017 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I am an Apple fan. I am happy with my iPhone and iPhone and iPad mini 3. I am about to buy an iPhone 7 upgrade....considering the plus version.

I also run a web business and I use a powerful and custom PC, which I am able to change components and upgrade if I want. For this reason (and cost) I opted against a Mac Computer. However, I provide mobile apps to clients and I need to have access to Xcode for publishing the apps to IOS. I would prefer an iPad pro, because I can use it for work and personal use....would consider the cellular model. I would get the keyboard too. But, can I use Xcode on the iPad pro, or do I really need a macbook for this? The Apps are pretty basic. They contain a click to call button and a direct link to the clients menu page on their website. I use AppMakr to build the apps and I only need Xcode to publish to Ios. To date, I have used a virtual mac on my PC, but it's not reliable and it's not supposed to be used commercially, so I want to put that right.

Will the Ipad Pro suit my needs?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, Xcode is Mac only.

I'd recommend a 12-inch MacBook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

No, Xcode is Mac only.

I'd recommend a 12-inch MacBook.

I just don't fancy spending that much when it would only be used for xcode. That's a real shame. I would have jumped on the iPad Pro, because I know I would have used it for Xcode (if it were possible) and for field use, as well as personal use. I could then justify it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can get a refurbished 12-inch MacBook for €1269. That's about 300 more than a 9.7-inch iPad Pro with cellular. And it's considerably more versatile while retaining the portability.

I'd suggest waiting until next month. New iPads and 12-inch MacBooks are expected then. The MacBook may drop in price, making the refurb even cheaper. And the iPad Pro may gain functionality, though I doubt Xcode will be one.

I think I will do that. I'm not in a major rush. If xcode is the only function, then I want to spend as little as possible and I would consider second hand. I use the ipad mini on the field and also have a little hp laptop/pad if needed. The ipad pro would have fulfilled both of those needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

One to consider. If you've already got a powerful desktop machine with plenty of memory, you could consider using something like VMWare to install a MacOS image and run XCode from that. I've not used this myself. I've a MacBook Pro myself but it seems like a reasonable compromise for someone who already has a high end windows machine but needs the flexibility to develop iOS apps.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    One to consider. If you've already got a powerful desktop machine with plenty of memory, you could consider using something like VMWare to install a MacOS image and run XCode from that. I've not used this myself. I've a MacBook Pro myself but it seems like a reasonable compromise for someone who already has a high end windows machine but needs the flexibility to develop iOS apps.

I already have the VMware virtual machine installed. Lately, it's just stopped working though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Apologies to the op for hijacking their thread.

I'm looking for a portable device. Will mostly be used for office work as I have a 27" iMac at home.

I was thinking of getting an air but I'm after looking at a 12.9 iPad Pro with keyboard cover & pencil and I'm very taken with it.

I can get office apps for it, have web browsing (limited downloads).

They work out about the same but the Pro has a better resolution. The MacBook losing a lot of connectors has me thinking iPad might be the way to go.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

OU812 wrote: »

They work out about the same but the Pro has a better resolution. The MacBook losing a lot of connectors has me thinking iPad might be the way to go.

Thoughts?

I have the MacBook, and I love it. I'd highly recommend it for portable computing.

I do dev work so an iPad wouldn't suit me personally, but it's always nice to have a fully functioning computer if your working imo. And the MacBook is so portable. Great battery life. Interested to see how long it lasts me now.

It's the perfect laptop for my needs. I also think it would do the job for a lot of people who opt for the pro line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

I have the MacBook, and I love it. I'd highly recommend it for portable computing.

I do dev work so an iPad wouldn't suit me personally, but it's always nice to have a fully functioning computer if your working imo. And the MacBook is so portable. Great battery life. Interested to see how long it lasts me now.

It's the perfect laptop for my needs. I also think it would do the job for a lot of people who opt for the pro line.

Yup, have had a MacBook Pro (& air) in the past & loved them, the pro is REALLY nice & seems like it could be really useful. Just unsure.

Of course the obvious answer is to get both, right??? ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

keep an eye on the apple refurb store..its changes every 2-3 days in terms of stock.
    I just purchased the new MacBook Pro for 1450 which is nearly 300 off and its in flawless condition. Was trying for ages to get the 2015 version and one sale fell through so decided to get the new one. very happy with it and as luck would have it 2 days after getting it a 2015 model crops up on the refurb store. only 128gb though.
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I got a cracking deal on a 2015 500GB MBP from the refurb store 18 months ago. It completely replaced both my windows laptop and my iPad. I use it for absolutely everything, business and leisure.

I think eventually the iPad will restrict you in what you want to do.

Advertisement