Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather fragrance split €55/30ml. Updated 13/3 post 19 - second split

• 08-03-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather fragrance split

nd.1849.jpg
    Hi all,

I’m considering running a fragrance ‘split’ to allow TGC members a chance to own a high end fragrance that would be unaffordable to most at a more pocket friendly price. The fragrance I think would be best suited to TGC is Tom Ford’s Private Blend Tuscan Leather. This is very well regarded and probably the most popular of the Private Blend line. As its name suggests, this is very much a LEATHER fragrance (with a hint of raspberry!) and, while it’s marketed as unisex, would generally be regarded as strongly masculine. It’s Eau de Parfum strength so a little goes a long way! You can read more here.

To the best of my knowledge, it is only retailed in Ireland by Brown Thomas, who charge an eye watering €188 for a 50ml bottle (€376/100ml). The Loop airport shops charge ~€150 for others in the same line but don’t seem to be stocking Tuscan Leather at the moment. While the final figure is subject to confirmation, I expect to be able to offer 30ml splits for €55 - €60 approx (not more than about 10% out either way, and hopefully at the lower end of the scale). This works out at approx. €166 - €200 per 100ml, so a considerable saving on the retail price and a chance to ‘take a chance’ on a niche fragrance at a department store price!

Thanks to the mods for letting me post this!

So, what happens?
    If there is sufficient interest, I will buy a large decanter bottle of Tuscan Leather and split the fragrance into eight 30ml portions (+ 10ml for spillages just in case!), each costing approximately €55 - €60 and send it to those who sign up.

What’s the story with payment?
    Full payment must be paid in advance – I can’t take the risk of being stuck with an enormous bottle of fragrance costing several hundred! Payment would be via Paypal or direct bank transfer.

What’s the story with shipping?
    Additional to purchase price. Ireland / UK only, at cost. I will send by An Post registered mail or parcel post etc – I’m not sure of cost yet but don’t imagine it would be more than €10 - €15 in Ireland. Collection welcome in Cork.

What will I get?
    The TL juice in a 30ml glass bottle with atomiser spray – for a lot less than it normally costs.

What do you (Padraig Mor) get from it?
    Same as you – a chance to try a luxury fragrance at a price I couldn’t normally afford; I will make no money out of it but it will let me know if I can do this and give me some supplies to do future splits if there's interest.

Great Idea! Will you do it again? How about fragrance XX or YY?
    I’d be very interested in doing it again if all goes well and everyone is happy.

Bit rich for my blood. How about 10ml splits for €25?
    If it happens, this will be my first time doing this and I want to make things relatively easy so am limiting it to the 8 x 30ml splits on this occasion. If all goes well, I would be open to other sizes on future splits.

Do we have any guarantee that you won’t run off with our money?
    Not really I guess, but I won’t (I’m sure there’s easier ways to scam people)! I’m a long time Boards user and contributor. If you prefer, you can pay via Paypal’s commercial payment method although the price would rise to take account of the fees involved (~4% I think).

What’s the timeline on all this?
    If all places are taken, I will ask for payment from everyone. When everyone has paid I will order the bottles, atomisers, packaging, etc and reserve the fragrance at an airport I will be travelling through on 30th March. Splits will be done and posted ASAP after this – I don’t really see it going beyond Easter, probably earlier depending on how long it takes the bottles to arrive. Note the split at this price is only possible due to a current offer at that airport (at which price I can reserve now) – I do not know if or when the price will change - it could rise tomorrow. In other words, get your name down fast if interested!

What happens if not enough people sign up?

Nothing! I collect no money and buy no juice.

What happens if someone signs up and doesn’t pay?
    They ruin it for everyone! I won’t buy until everyone has paid. In the event of sufficient interest, I will run a ‘reserve’ list.

What happens if you drop the bottle and it smashes?
    You get your money back and I cry (and have a house smelling of leather for a long time)!

Are you technically able to do this? Can you decant it all properly?
    I have 20 years lab experience and access to full lab facilities. I often work with much smaller volumes!

Are you going to water it down?
    No, you will receive 100% genuine, unadulterated fragrance.

I’ve got another query
    Just ask below.

How do I sign up?
    Copy the list below, and add your name! Try to avoid copying the whole post please.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather split.
    1. Padraig Mor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

How is it better than Brut?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

Hey I'd be up for a split. Always liked Tom Ford but the full bottle price is just crazy.

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Wiggles88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

This is cool idea. Tobacco Vanille and I might be swayed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

ongarboy wrote: »
    How is it better than Brut?

Depending on what you like, it may not be - each to their own and all that...

Passenger wrote: »
    This is cool idea. Tobacco Vanille and I might be swayed. ;)

Can get that too for same price, but will probably play it safe for my first one and just stick with the single TL unless there's particular demand.

• Advertisement

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    Hey I'd be up for a split. Always liked Tom Ford but the full bottle price is just crazy.

Yeah, I've had a few squirts in the airport or whatever and it smells amazing, but then I look at the price tag......:( Doing this at least brings the cost down to 'normal' fragrance cost and makes it accessible to more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Yeah, I've had a few squirts in the airport or whatever and it smells amazing, but then I look at the price tag......:( Doing this at least brings the cost down to 'normal' fragrance cost and makes it accessible to more.

I managed to get a 100ml bottle of TF Oud Wood on eBay for around €180 just before Christmas. It was still pricey but nearly half the price of what it retrial for in the likes of BT.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I managed to get a 100ml bottle of TF Oud Wood on eBay for around €180 just before Christmas. It was still pricey but nearly half the price of what it retrial for in the likes of BT.

That's a very good price, although still a lot of money unless you know you like the fragrance already! I would be wary of eBay unless it was a reputable seller.

Buddy of mine taking a slot......

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Wiggles88
    3. Padraig Mor #2

Another for the list.....

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Wiggles88.
    3. Padraig Mor #2.
    4. ike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

I'm in.

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Wiggles88.
    3. Padraig Mor #2.
    4. ike.
    5. Relikk

Another member PMed for a spot. Looks like last orders folks - if you're on the fence, it's time to make a call! It could be your last chance to buy at this price!

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Wiggles88.
    3. Padraig Mor #2.
    4. ike.
    5. Relikk
    6. Clonmel1000.

.....and we're done!

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Wiggles88.
    3. Padraig Mor #2.
    4. ike.
    5. Relikk
    6. Clonmel1000.
    7. dendof
    8. CyaL8r

One nice decanter of Tuscan Leather has now been reserved for collection on March 30th for the pleasant smelling folks of TGC! Availability of stock should be confirmed within 24 hours apparently. Remember folks - you've signed up to pay in advance. I will forward payment details to you all by PM in the coming days - please pay promptly to ensure everyone gets their juice as this cannot proceed if someone backs out. Once all payments have come in, I will order the glass bottles, atomisers, caps etc (which are surprisingly expensive!) and other stuff and hopefully they'll get here before the juice!

Just saw this thread and raging you missed it?
    Add your name to reserve list below to be next in line for a spot if someone doesn't pony up the cash. If there's enough interest, I may consider doing a second split.

Thank you all!

Tuscan Leather reserve list

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Jasper79

If go on reserve list love this fragrance

1.jasper79
    4.[/quote]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

1.jasper79
    2.pleasant co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Got a sample of this ages ago and it made me dizzy and want to vomit, but i think I'm a special case as it's very popular :)

Im into my aftershaves and colognes and hope you all enjoy your Tom Ford :)

Think I have haven't found a TF i like yet and not gone in the Creeds either. Tried Silver Mountain Water and got lots of compliments from random women about beautiful smell but i didn't get the kerfuffle

Got a sample of this ages ago and it made me dizzy and want to vomit, but i think I'm a special case as it's very popular :)

Im into my aftershaves and colognes and hope you all enjoy your Tom Ford :)

Think I have haven't found a TF i like yet and not gone in the Creeds either. Tried Silver Mountain Water and got lots of compliments from random women about beautiful smell but i didn't get the kerfuffle

It's definitely not a light/airy/sickly sweet fragrance and not for those who prefer lashing on a bucket of Joop or One Million before heading to the dishco! I suppose it's a lot more 'serious' or something.... Haven't tried SMW but have Aventus (great) and Spice and Wood (fantastic) alright from Creed.

OK folks, let’s get this show on the road! Availability of stock has been confirmed and a bottle has been reserved for collection by me on March 30th. I’ve identified some nice, heavy glass bottles to put your juice in (I think stuff this expensive deserves a decent bottle TBH!) and have packing materials ready to order.

Fortunately, overall costs are at the lower end of the originally stated scale!
    Price per 30ml bottle: €55.
    Shipping cost (Ireland): €10 (packing materials and courier delivery).
    Collection in Cork: free.

That makes final bottle cost €183/100ml - less than half the retail price of a 50ml bottle, and a comparative bargain I think! Payment details will be sent to all buyers today by PM – please pay promptly to ensure this goes ahead!

Second split?
    If the interest is there, I’d be open to splitting a second bottle of Tuscan Leather (reserve list to date below), or another Tom Ford fragrance (I’d imagine Tobacco Vanille would be the most likely?). If the second split happens, the price per decanted bottle for both splits would reduce a bit due to savings on shipping costs for materials being sent to me. Not a huge amount – maybe €2. If that happens, buyers on the first TL split will be refunded the difference.
    If interested, please comment – would need to know relatively quickly as I don’t want to delay ordering bottles etc for the TL split too much.

Future splits
    If we get the two Tom Fords over the line, I’d be on for making this a regular thing if people are interested. Comparative costs would reduce a bit – buying bottles etc is quite a bit cheaper if I’m buying larger quantities rather than the smaller amounts so far. I have my eye on a definite crowd pleaser next…….

1.jasper79
    2.pleasant co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'd be interested in Tabacco Vanille or Tabacco oud split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Great idea but I'm going to hold out for a large bottle of Creed Aventus which is sex juice in a bottle...

• Advertisement

It's definitely not a light/airy/sickly sweet fragrance and not for those who prefer lashing on a bucket of Joop or One Million before heading to the dishco! I suppose it's a lot more 'serious' or something.... Haven't tried SMW but have Aventus (great) and Spice and Wood (fantastic) alright from Creed.

Ewww, Paco and Joop. I'd genuinely​ prefer Old Spice, which despite its old man rep is a fantastic everyday aftershave. An excellent every dayers is Pinaud Clubman, fantastic stuff always get compliments

I think Dior is my favourite special occasion if you will, Sauvage and Homme Intense are fantastic

**** ye I'm gonna have to get Creed samples again now to double check :pac:

I think Dior is my favourite special occasion if you will, Sauvage and Homme Intense are fantastic

Didn't get much from Sauvage myself, but only tried Homme Intense the other day and was pretty impressed. I have a bottle of Fahrenheit - almost certainly the most 'manly' smell in my possession, short of dousing oneself in engine oil (although given the prominent petrol note, Fahrenheit comes close to even this!).

Split #2 - Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille €52/30ml
    nd.1825.jpg

Thanks to all those who signed up for the Tuscan Leather split – everyone has now paid so that split is 100% ON. So let’s do a second one (my bag’s gonna be full of aftershave)! Second split will be for another hugely popular Tom Ford – Tobacco Vanille Eau de Parfum. Rules etc are the same as before – please refer to the OP if needed or ask below, especially the requirement to pay in advance. If you’re not sure you’ll like the scent, head to a Brown Thomas (if you have one local) for a squirt – I’m afraid I can’t accept returns. Due to savings on shipping bottles etc to me, the price is a little lower this time (this lower price has also been retrospectively applied to the Tuscan Leather split) - in fact, it's less than half the relative retail price of a 50ml bottle!

Price per 30ml split: €52.
    Courier shipping if required: €10. (no extra shipping charge for those on the first split – I’ll send them together).

How do I sign up?
    To keep this thread clean, rather than copying the list below please PM me if you are interested. I will update the list here as necessary. But be quick – I’ve already offered the split to those who took a Tuscan Leather, and have three set aside for myself and a couple of friends, so there is only two slots left.

Tom Ford Split #2 – Tobacco Vanille
    1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Padraig Mor #2.
    3. Padraig Mor #3.
    4. Relikk.
    5. CyaL8r.
    6. Dendof.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Padraig Mor #2.
    3. Padraig Mor #3.
    4. Relikk.
    5. CyaL8r.
    6. Dendof.
    7. beertons
    [/quote]

And we're done - seems there's an appetite for these splits! I'll contact members re payment for the Tobacco Vanille tomorrow - I'll be picking this up at another airport on the same trip, although this one has to be paid for in advance of travel. I'm tempted to pick up even more and do another split, but it's probably best to leave it at the two Tom Fords for the moment and make sure all goes well..... Feel free to suggest fragrances for future splits if this becomes a regular thing.

Final tallies as follows:

1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Padraig Mor #2.
    3. Padraig Mor #3.
    4. Relikk.
    5. CyaL8r.
    6. Dendof.
    7. beertons
    8. Clonmel1000

Tobacco Vanille reserve list
    1. capefear.

Tom Ford split #1 - Tuscan Leather
    1. Padraig Mor.
    2. Wiggles88.
    3. Padraig Mor #2.
    4. ike.
    5. Relikk
    6. Clonmel1000.
    7. dendof
    8. CyaL8r

(all paid)

1. jasper79
    2. pleasant co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just want to tag this thread as I might be interested in any future splits. Thanks!

All payments have been received for both splits - thanks for being quick off the mark guys! I'll order and pay for the Tobacco Vanille today, as well as bottles and other supplies.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Just want to tag this thread as I might be interested in any future splits. Thanks!

Hopefully all goes well with these two splits - if all the lads here are happy and give good feedback I'll be doing more splits where I think I can give good value. Next up: Creed Aventus and one or two more.

Just an FYI i noticed scent samples UK who i use for my samples do splits

Creed Green Irish Tweed was

£53.82 for a 30ml
    £74.75 for a 50ml

Same prices for Aventus, postage can be via courier or use An Posts Address Pal and it's only €3.50

Maybe crunch that against your prices for wherever you'd get your Creed Padraig might save ye some money

• Advertisement

Just an FYI i noticed scent samples UK who i use for my samples do splits

Creed Green Irish Tweed was

£53.82 for a 30ml
    £74.75 for a 50ml

Same prices for Aventus, postage can be via courier or use An Posts Address Pal and it's only €3.50

Maybe crunch that against your prices for wherever you'd get your Creed Padraig might save ye some money

Have a few suppliers identified for the Creed but the wildcard at the moment is shipping costs*. However, while the final cost is yet far from set, I can confidently say that I would be charging considerably less than £75/€87 for a 50ml split! And likely cheaper again for GIT. (Subject to Creed not raising their price in the interim - but they have been raising them furiously for a year or two apparently).

However, first things first and we'll see how the first two splits go (I was sorely tempted to add an Amouage split but don't want to bite off more than I can chew on the first go!) - am awaiting delivery of bottles and shipping materials and have purchased (but must collect) the Tobacco Vanille. Tuscan Leather to be collected next week.

All going to plan, Aventus will be split 10 x 50ml, alongside 8 x 50ml of a top designer citrus 'freshie' (for the summer, like) and 8 x 12ml of a super high end opulent scent!

*shipping is a goddamn nightmare. The 'best' site I can see for Aventus don't ship to Ireland, but do to the UK - but it's just not worth the risk of using AddressPal / Parcel Motel on something so expensive which violates their T&Cs (no liquids). Even shipping within Ireland is extremely difficult - An Post and most couriers are out and I'm skirting around the edges of the courier I'm going to use - hence my order for a large roll of bubble wrap and good shipping boxes!

Advertisement