Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a formal complaint to Apple

Options
  • 08-03-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro which has had poor battery life since purchasing it - about four hours from a full charge.

The battery was replaced in 2015 which did not make any improvement. The machine has been tested and reinstalled several times by Apple and they can find no fault. I have asked for a replacement machine but they are refusing due to no fault being detected.

The usage is not energy intensive - web browsing and email checking. The Which? real-world testing states the battery should last around nine and a half hours with web browsing or HD video playback. I also know other Mac users who are getting about twelve hours battery life.

An Apple Care Senior Advisor today stated the nine-hour claimed battery life refers to standby time not usage!

Apple are currently prepared to offer a collect and return service, test the machine and change the battery again but this has already been done hence my request for a replacement.

Can anyone provide email contact details for Apple and any suggestions on how to get a replacement without resorting to legal action?

Edit: the six year claim period applies http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

There's no way they're legally obligated to provide you with a replacement three years after purchase. Laptop batteries die, quickly. I've had my laptop for two years and it doesn't even work off the plug anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

troyzer wrote: »
    There's no way they're legally obligated to provide you with a replacement three years after purchase. Laptop batteries die, quickly. I've had my laptop for two years and it doesn't even work off the plug anymore.

Wrong.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Carnmore wrote: »

That is if the product has been deemed faulty, which it has not.

davo2001 wrote: »
    That is if the product has been deemed faulty, which it has not.

^?

Four hours battery life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If Apple are offering to take it in, test it and replace the battery again I'd let them do it.

Did you ever get full battery life? Say after a clean install? Or when the battery was first replaced? What kind of apps do you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Expected battery life is subjective at best. 4 hours for a MAC book, although a little on a short side would not be unusual IMO. Apple themselves say 8 hours, not 12, and that would be ideal conditions, no processes running and screen brightness at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Where does it say they are obliged to replace your laptop or battery three years after purchase? I don't see it anywhere on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What processes are running? (is that even relevant to apple devices?)

They've offered to collect and swap the battery. I'm not really sure what else you can expect. Are you trying to argue that the laptop itself is faulty?

theteal wrote: »
    What processes are running? (is that even relevant to apple devices?)

Safari, Mail, Messages, WhatsApp
    theteal wrote: »
    Are you trying to argue that the laptop itself is faulty?

Yes, as stated in my post

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've a 2015 MacBook Pro and four hours is about what I get.

It's amazing how much juice some webpages suck just being open in a tab somewhere. I usually have upwards of 15 tabs on the go in Chrome. Occasionally I find myself in a situation where I'm running out of juice and need to conserve, and closing certain web pages ups the time remaining dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Chrome is a well known battery hog and could easily cost you up to 4 hours of battery life. If you tend to have a lot of tabs open it really pays to use Safari.

I have a 12-inch MacBook and easily get the advertised 10 hours at half brightness during casual usage, but I'm very fussy about what I install.

Keir Thomas has a good guide to Mac battery life:http://www.mackungfu.org/ThebulltfreeguidetoMacbatterylife

Advertisement