Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on Bar Lease - are we crazy?!

Options
  • 08-03-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Just as the title asks - are we crazy? Myself and my wife are close to signing on for a lease of a rural bar - at a rent of €1300 p/month including accommodation. I'm currently looking for work, hate the idea of going back into factory work and have always wanted to work for myself. Myself and my wife have years of bar experience. The bar itself is small and quiet, can be managed by the two of us, she is keeping her job so there will be a steady wage coming in. Have looked at rates, insurance - seems manageable - bar seems quiet but hoping we can turn this around - even a small bit! We are renting accommodation and our rent is €900 which is another reason we are thinking - why not just go for it! But the fear is stating to sink in - just looking for any advise? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

How rural are we talking? Is there much footfall outside the bar that could lead to a potential increase in business? Have you a target demographic in mind?

You have some positives there too, the bar experience, another source of income, savings on rent etc but try to come up with some details on the plans to up the business rather than "we plan to make it more popular"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How rural is rural?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

Moved from work and jobs, new charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catman77

-its not in a town or village, in the middle of farm land, so customers would be mainly farmers, locals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Husband and wife working together is not a good idea. Best of luck with it. Getting good rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

catman77 wrote: »
    -its not in a town or village, (about half hour from limerick city) its at a crossroads in the middle of farm land, so customers would be mainly farmers, locals

To be honest, I think you're going to have your work cut out for you there. If it was a bar with low numbers even in a village, you could put some things in place to up the numbers with themed nights (kids night, quiz night, etc) but I'd be surprised if you haven't already maxed out the potential of the area already.

Only thing I can think of that might change is if previous management was on bad terms with the locals and the change of management (if obvious) may draw some people back?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can you do food and attempt people even for Sunday or Saturday dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Did you factor in extra costs such as transport to ferry customers home which is essential in rural settings now??
    Entertainment to add to your customer base cards/dancing/sports on TV etc all will certainly require extra funding
    Good luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Have you seen the Books ?

Thanks for the reply's - the bar is not set up for food but hoping to do sandwiches / platters for the customers when games are on - maybe get some good coffee and do scones / cakes to temp some people in
    Plan to do quiz / darts / pool / cards nights - I've played music in pubs before so I can hop outside the bar sometimes
    the bar is only open a few hours a week at the moment, but have see the sales for 2015 - no proper accounts from the past few years
    Have been hoping to do this for years and this place ticks many boxes for us - but scary being so close to taking the leap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think there should be lee way on the first few months rent. You are picking up the business, basically from scratch. The owner has to accept some lifting since he has nothing otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Break it down to the basics. How much on average are the weekly sales? Because back of the envelope calculation would suggest that it needs to be €3k to even make it worth thinking about. If it's only open a few hours a week at the moment I'd imagine it's not taking that in is it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks for the reply's - the bar is not set up for food but hoping to do sandwiches / platters for the customers when games are on - maybe get some good coffee and do scones / cakes to temp some people in

If you are going to be making the food yourselves then I think there are some quite strict criteria you may have to meet, so you would want to check into that.

You'll also need to check the cost of commercial licencing for the likes of sky etc as that can be expensive.

Is it on the main road to Limerick? That could get you passing trade.

Passing trade for alcohol is long gone.

Water John wrote: »
    Passing trade for alcohol is long gone.

Fair point but people do stop for coffee etc. All you need is a good coffee machine for that. I drive the old road from Cork to Limerick and find it very lacking for somewhere to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

no proper accounts from the past few years

This bit would worry me a lot.

Not sure how they still have a bar licence if they have not been tax compliant for the past 'few years'

Can't renew a bar licence unless your taxes are up to date

Good idea. Pilly, great margin on tea/coffee. If it can be developed as a daytime meeting place. Friends catching up, some business. You'd be surprised how many local farmers would use a venue fairly regularly for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

There's a pub at a crossroads near me that used to be packed every weekend , hugely popular with the locals until a new owner took it over. Lovely person but just not cut out for the business. He never had music at the weekend or any other events. Very obliging to a local club and would let them book music for a fundraiser or have a pub quiz but never did anything off his own back. Over time business got quieter and quieter and the pub is only busy now at Christmas. My point is, a lot depends on the personality of the publican. Even though its a rural pub there were plenty of customers within a 5 mile radius but people dont go now because there's just no crack to be had there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Encourage any local groups or clubs to use it too,get involved in the community if not already.
    If they see you making an effort with regards some support for the community people tend to return the favor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Since when did pubs in Ireland become bars?

hoping the area will be open to blow ins - we are both from rural ares and know that the local pub can still offer something. Confident that we can have a proper go at this but its the unknown that's scary! was thinking 1k a week would be enough to break even?

hoping the area will be open to blow ins - we are both from rural ares and know that the local pub can still offer something. Confident that we can have a proper go at this but its the unknown that's scary! was thinking 1k a week would be enough to break even?

Sorry OP but if you mean 1k a week in sales you're on a hiding to nothing. Have you calculated what the profit on that is? It's a long time now since I was in the restaurant bar trade but the average margin on drink I remember would have been 20%. That gives you €200 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Couple of big red flags for me here:

1. No books for the last few years, this alone would be enough to put me off. If you can't see how well or bad the place has been doing for the last few years it's hard to make a rational, financial decision.

2. You're asking if 1k a week is enough to break even. Without meaning to sound harsh, surely the extensive market research you did should tell you whether that figure is enough? If you haven't done extensive research then why not? How many people in the local area/overheads/cost of the product/staff bills/footfall/any other hidden costs such as repairs and maintainence/insurance/SWOT analysis.

I think you are a little caught up in the romantic notion of you and our wife running the local pub together and that's fair enough, but you need to really consider the financial realities of this.

Good luck.

Have you sat down and worked out all your costs?
    Rent/rates/insurance/heat/light/equipment (tvs)/furniture/licencing for sports/a float to pay for initial drinks orders to get you up and running/any regulatory requirements you will have to meet such as sign off from fire officers if needed?

Then once you've worked out all of those, you know the basic you need to break even before you pay yourself anything and can factor in what level of pay/profit you would like to get from the bar.

You should contact your local entreprise board, they will be able to help you do the costings.

From the post above, you come across a little as if you are doing the figures on the back of a packet of fags tbh.

You need to do a lot more analysis rather than "1k a week should be enough to break even"

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

Rural Pubs are not the easiest to make a living from, but saying that, many do. Make sure you set up a limited company and if you have to sign guarantees, have limits on those guarantees.

Unless you have a passing trade, forget the coffee market, people think there's a great profit, but unless you can sell 100 cups a day, there's none. A decent Nespresso machine will suffice for those who want decent coffee when you are open.

Again, unless there's a specific event, no need to open before 5pm during the week. On TV, Eir TV will give best option due to the "free" sports. Cost of SKY is not warranted for a small rural pub.

One good market for rural pubs is the funeral market and the milestone birthdays such as 21st, 60th 70th etc. Simply tie-in with a local centra or other deli for the supply of food for such events.

Visit pubs in similar locations and join the vintners association and possibly other smaller local business groups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Is the accommodation sufficient to rent out a room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

No yer not crazy, fair play for giving it a go. The locals will give you a fair crack of the whip I'd imagine.
    100 extra in rent p/w is easily doable. What are the rates like? Once you start taxiing, you can never stop so think about it before driving a lad 10 miles away

• Advertisement

thanks again for all the feedback - much appreciated

Advertisement