Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New car insuarance issue

Options
  • 08-03-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I just bought new car insurance through you online and right at the end it says i have to send in a copy of driving licence by March 23. i literally have just swapped my UK licence for an Irish licence and the new licence will take (they said) 6-12 weeks to arrive. So i physically won't have a licence to send you a copy of till it arrives. The NDLS have given me a temporary receipt with my new Irish driver's number on it. Will a copy of that suffice?

I don't recall having to ever show my licence for insurance before, hence why this is new to me. I've paid out two months cover up front.

Please let me know.

thanks
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonweir76

The receipt the NDLS gave me said was to show the Garda if i was stopped before my new licence arrived. it's not a basic payment receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you will find that the receipt specifically states that it is not a driving licence or a substitute for one. Typical irish law making. You must carry you licence when driving however you must send it away to renew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

jonweir76 wrote: »
    I just bought new car insurance through you online and right at the end it says i have to send in a copy of driving licence by March 23. i literally have just swapped my UK licence for an Irish licence and the new licence will take (they said) 6-12 weeks to arrive. So i physically won't have a licence to send you a copy of till it arrives. The NDLS have given me a temporary receipt with my new Irish driver's number on it. Will a copy of that suffice?

I don't recall having to ever show my licence for insurance before, hence why this is new to me. I've paid out two months cover up front.

Please let me know.

thanks
    Jon
    Hi jonweir76(Jon)

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards. 

Could you send us a Private Message and we'll arrange for an Advisor to check this for you?  Could you include your full name, contact number and if possible quote or policy number? 

To send a PM please make sure you have signatures set to display in your control panel settings and then click in the link in my signature below to send the message.

If you click on your username in the top right corner then go to Control Panel and then Edit Options. You then need to make sure you have Enable Private Messaging ticked, as well as Show Signatures. You should then be able to send us a Private Message. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonweir76

Hi I've had my forms through but I understood I'd be temporarily insurered while I sent back my no claims form etc.. but there's no disc and no indication I'm insured at all in the interim. I thought when I purchased it it said I'd be insured till the 23/3/17 to give me time to return the forms I needed.
    Can you confirm please! I have cancelled previous insurance as I thought I'd be covered from when I took out the policy.
    Thanks
    JW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi jonweir76,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We'd advise you to contact the insurance team, as a matter of urgency, to clarify if the policy cover has started. An adviser will go through the documents you've received and explain these to you in detail. You can contact the team on 1890 608608 or by email at [font=Calibri, sans-serif]boimotorinsurance@ie.rsagroup.com[/font]

Thanks
    Tara 

• Advertisement
Advertisement