Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rok done, where to next

Options
  • 08-03-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So I began cycling last year and done the ring of kerry. Have recently started training aging and while I have signed up for the ring of kerry I'm wondering can anyone advise me on cycles that would be suitable for amuter cyclists. I have the ring of kerry tough at times but overall not half as bad as I thought it would be bad. I have talked to you a few people and reckon the reckon of beara is out of my lead but was thinking of maybe doing the ring odd clare ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Any of the burren cycles in clare are good.I found 100k in the tour de burden/dolmen etc harder than the ROK but just as enjoyable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Inner ring. You've done the tourist route, now do the truly beautiful route that adjoins it that most cyclists miss. A bit lumpier but so worth it, even as a solo spin done over a couple of days. Oh, and +1 for cycling the Burren, only sportif I've done there is the Etape Hibernia which is no longer, but again just great all round cycling territory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    Inner ring. You've done the tourist route, now do the truly beautiful route that adjoins it that most cyclists miss.
    does that take in the ballacusheen pass?

does that take in the ballacusheen pass?

Balligisheen (sp?) and Ballaghbeema. Both tough enough climbs with fantastic descents towards Glencar. Among my favourite cycling roads in Ireland to date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Balligisheen (sp?)
    i've seen both spellings. i've not cycled it, but driven it. one of the most spectacular roads i've been on in ireland - drove it from waterville heading inland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Well you could do the ring twice in one day op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

My favourite sportive the last two years was the reservoir dogs held in September, grand bit of climbing and very well run.

siochain wrote: »
    My favourite sportive the last two years was the reservoir dogs held in September, grand bit of climbing and very well run.

+1 on that, great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+2 on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

+1 on that, great day out.
    +2 on that!

Not disagreeing with any if the above but the OP seems to be down south and says that he/she has been told that the ring of Beara is out of his/her league so the Dog probably isn't the most practical suggestion.

OP, I did the Rebel Tour a couple of times and it's a great day out, the 160 km is tough but doable if you pace yourself and the shorter version taking in the Caha and Healy passes is doable by any one, so I'd suggest going for that, see how you get on in July and then pick whichever one would suit you, it's well timed too after the ROK.

I'm presuming the Rebel is still based in Glengarrif for the above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op.
    You say you found the ROK Tough but not as bad as you expected. The majority of 1st year cyclists would have found the same thing. If you started from scratch on the 1st of January then 180km after 6 months is good work.
    With the same attitude this year I would say that you can pick any Sportive after doing RoK2017 and although you may find them tough you will get through them.
    Rebel Tour would be a great Goal to aim at .
    If your looking for something before the RoK the Burren is a good day out . Also something like Westportif has a middle route of 120km that still has a fair bit of Climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Esroh wrote: »
    Op.
    You say you found the ROK Tough but not as bad as you expected. The majority of 1st year cyclists would have found the same thing. If you started from scratch on the 1st of January then 180km after 6 months is good work.
    With the same attitude this year I would say that you can pick any Sportive after doing RoK2017 and although you may find them tough you will get through them.
    Rebel Tour would be a great Goal to aim at .
    If your looking for something before the RoK the Burren is a good day out . Also something like Westportif has a middle route of 120km that still has a fair bit of Climbing

+1
    If you only started last year, got around ROK and have maintained some level of cycling, then virtually any sportive is possible for you this year. Rebel Tour is late in the year, so pick anything close to home earlier in the year and go for it.
    Cycling around Beara is one of the finest spins in the country. The only person stopping you from doing it is yourself!

Advertisement