Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would/Could You Bet Against Your Team?

• 08-03-2017 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

I guess this is one for the gamblers out there? Do you ever/could you ever back against your team in bets? If you were an Arsenal fan, for example, you'd know it was fairly unlikely they'd come through last night's tie. Would lashing a heap of money on Bayern Munich cushion the blow for you (disregarding odds)? Would that be acceptable?

Or if it was in a situation were your team were in a cup final? You'd be delighted to see your team win obviously but if you bet against them and they lost you'd still have some extra cash. If they win, you won't care about the money because you're happy celebrating.

What about accumulators, do people incluide their own team in those?! I'm not up on gambling culture so these questions are probably naive but I'm genuinely curious!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yes, without flinching

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You're a Rovers fan aren't you? Do you bet against them? Do you prefer the winnings or the ehm, winning?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Omackeral wrote: »
    You're a Rovers fan aren't you? Do you bet against them? Do you prefer the winnings or the ehm, winning?

I do lucky 63's every Friday, I certainly didn't have them down for a win against Dundalk. I only bet with my head and never with my heart. If I thought Rovers or Ireland were over priced, I'd bet against them, for example injuries and such that I thought would go against them. I still celebrate the teams win, that's the most important.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

never have never will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd absolutely have no bother in betting against my team, i've done it before. If it was a bet i felt strongly about, i'd whack it on and then almost forget about it. If it wins, it wins. But i'd still be cheering on my team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes, all the time

Supporting Liverpool often means enhanced odds on the other team due to the sheer amount of people backing them. Same with Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I do it a fair bit. Whenever United have a chance to move out of 6th, double chance bet on the other team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes, without flinching

Same here. After all I know them quite well.

never have never will

Can I ask why not? Just trying to get a feel for people's rationale here. Is it loyalty?

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd absolutely have no bother in betting against my team, i've done it before. If it was a bet i felt strongly about, i'd whack it on and then almost forget about it. If it wins, it wins. But i'd still be cheering on my team.

Is it like a consolation prize type thing? Or a win-win perhaps? Would you ever get stick about it from mates or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

The opposite question is relevant too - would you back your own team?
    I did that once, home game on the TV. They were 4/5 and I threw on 50 sterling (living in Blighty at the time).
    They won, 1-0, and it was probably the least enjoyable game for me.
    With that in mind, it makes it way easier to bet against your team.
    You should never isolate that game as anything special though, and only have a wager if there is value there (on the opposition!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is it like a consolation prize type thing? Or a win-win perhaps? Would you ever get stick about it from mates or anything.

I did the consolation thing once for a cup final where i backed against Liverpool. Liverpool won so i was happy to lose the money.

Other than that, as others have said, you get to know your team by watching them regularly. How often on here do you see supporters negative about how their team will perform in a certain match. So if there's a bet i see that i think has value or i feel strongly about and it just happens to be against a team i support, i'll make the bet regardless.

I still will hope i lose the bet, a bet will never make me cheer against my team, but i just won't have any problem in putting the bet on in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can I ask why not? Just trying to get a feel for people's rationale here. Is it loyalty?

making money off a defeat would not sit right with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i have bet against them at times but i generally wouldn't put a bet on them especially accumulators as nothing worse than your own team letting you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

a good few years ago bohs were 1 up on rovers...

88th minute Rovers were 200/1 to win on PP. I went to stick 50cents on it, don't ask me why, but it just ran across my mind... anyways being a Bohs fan I felt dirty doing it and backed off.

Rovers won 2-1

:(

Haven't done it still, be it Ireland, Manchester United or Bohs.

I'll never forget the people collecting their winnings the time Ireland lost to Cyprus though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bet with your head, and then support your team the same you always would.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Always bet against your team, if they win you're happy, if they lose you can drown your sorrows with the winnings. If they draw you're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Have never bet against my team before, but I don't usually bet on my team winning either. I usually stay away from betting on Arsenal matches. I did bet on an Arsenal win once before though when they were 2/1 to win at white Hart lane back in the Fabregas/Adebayor days, price was too generous at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Always bet against your team, if they win you're happy, if they lose you can drown your sorrows with the winnings. If they draw you're ****ed.

Always draw-no-bet your own team

No problem.
    Liverpool were mad short for top4 weeks back... I later them... they were 11/8 after Leicester defeat... I backed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Helps dull the pain

RsI9t.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Sportsbetting is a game of numbers. Betting or not betting on something based on emotional ties is a losing strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

making money off a defeat would not sit right with me
    Burial. wrote: »
    Sportsbetting is a game of numbers. Betting or not betting on something based on emotional ties is a losing strategy.

This really.

On all bets placed they shouldn't be emotional. I bet frequently and have backed my team and have also backed against them.

Consider it a Win-Win if you want. There's games I'd rather the bet win and games i'd rather my team win depending on bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

sky88 wrote: »
    i have bet against them at times but i generally wouldn't put a bet on them especially accumulators as nothing worse than your own team letting you down.

there is a reason bookmakers promote accumulators so much.

Never understand why people bet on them so often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

MD1990 wrote: »
    there is a reason bookmakers promote accumulators so much.

Never understand why people bet on them so often

For fun and hope of the jackpot I assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yes, if the odds are too good to pass up, every single time. You'd be a fool to turn it down. Case in point being anytime Liverpool play a bottom 3 team away from home. Burnley, Hull, and Leicester have all come good on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I put €800 On Chelsea to Lift the trophy in 2008 CL final. 11/10 they were

Was the best money I ever lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yes without hesitation, I couldn't give two shíts about some club in England I happen to like, and I'm sure Tottenham Hotspur couldn't give two shíts about me. Supporting them is no more than a hobby.

Now, betting against my club/county where I'm actually from and have ties to is a completely different story.
    If I was from North London maybe I would care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I dont bet against my team and i also dont bet on my team to win either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sometimes.

Put a fiver on Southampton to beat Liverpool when they pulled one back at 40/1 last season.

Sometimes with Liverpool you just know they will make a balls of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsenal fan here, Arsenal to lose and both teams to score has won me quite a few quid over the last 18 months.

I have seen fans of a couple of clubs here cheer against their team.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,307 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Last match of 95/6 season - only way United would not win the league was for them to lose at Middlesbrough and Newcastle to win the same day. Had a few quid on that double but still had a fantastic day at the Riverside!!

(Had a blow out on the A1 on the way home as well, but changing the wheel in pitch dark certainly didn't bother me that night!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've often put a euro or two on the opposition, so I'm delighted if my team win, and if they lose, a couple of yoyos softens the blow. Wouldn't put significant amounts of money on opposing team though, because that could lead to me cheering against my team and that would not do, at all.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement