Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUSTRALIA

• 08-03-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello guys I would like to go to australia for a year I'm plAnning on going in January..any chance someone who has done it before can Give me some advice on how much I need do I need to look for work if so how do I go about it and stuff and info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hero zero wrote: »
    Hello guys I would like to go to australia for a year I'm plAnning on going in January..any chance someone who has done it before can Give me some advice on how much I need do I need to look for work if so how do I go about it and stuff and info would be greatly appreciated

I'd say about 4000 euros as a minimum after paying for your flights. It's expensive and can take time to get set up with work. January is peak season in Melbourne and Sydney for backpackers so can be more difficult to get work. What do you do now? What do you want to do while there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hero zero

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd say about 4000 euros as a minimum after paying for your flights. It's expensive and can take time to get set up with work. January is peak season in Melbourne and Sydney for backpackers so can be more difficult to get work. What do you do now? What do you want to do while there?

Thank you for the response at the moment I work as a chef and I am starting to save for the journey I plan to site see prove rent a campervan and drive around..But I have neva done anything like this before but always have wanted to try a year out to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

Thank you for the response at the moment I work as a chef and I am starting to save for the journey I plan to site see prove rent a campervan and drive around..But I have neva done anything like this before but always have wanted to try a year out to travel

I'm doing the same in may. Il be travelling with around 5000e but like you I will also be renting a campervan for a week or two and do the Gold Coast. Once you don't set your mind on working in a kitchen over you will be fine. I've experience working on sites between plastering, laying concrete and labouring for brickies as well as fork lift experience and working in a bar so I'm keeping my options open for when I arrive. Best of luck with the planning of the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irish_Aus

As a chef you will pick up lots of work pretty much any time of the year, depending on your experience of course. Melbourne and Sydney are your biggest opportunities, but Adelaide has a hospitality boom taking place and there is a shortage of Chefs. Brisbane's food scene is on the way up as is Hobart's. 4000 euro would be the minimum I would advise to come over with. You would expect to start off earning $23- $30 an hour as a casual rate. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

As a chef there are numerous opportunities for work and sponsorship. Even in Melbourne or Sydney you'll pick up work in January as a chef

• Advertisement

boxermad wrote: »
    I'm doing the same in may. Il be travelling with around 5000e but like you I will also be renting a campervan for a week or two and do the Gold Coast. Once you don't set your mind on working in a kitchen over you will be fine. I've experience working on sites between plastering, laying concrete and labouring for brickies as well as fork lift experience and working in a bar so I'm keeping my options open for when I arrive. Best of luck with the planning of the trip
    Thanks Thts great help

ciarand11 wrote: »
    As a chef you will pick up lots of work pretty much any time of the year, depending on your experience of course. Melbourne and Sydney are your biggest opportunities, but Adelaide has a hospitality boom taking place and there is a shortage of Chefs. Brisbane's food scene is on the way up as is Hobart's. 4000 euro would be the minimum I would advise to come over with. You would expect to start off earning $23- $30 an hour as a casual rate. Hope that helps.
    I was not plAnning on working as a chef but sounds like the options are very good thanks for the response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I was not plAnning on working as a chef but sounds like the options are very good thanks for the response

Do you qualify for the working holiday visa?

aido79 wrote: »
    Do you qualify for the working holiday visa?

I havnt applied for it yet is it something I need to do first ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I havnt applied for it yet is it something I need to do first ?

I think you really need to look into this a lot more to be honest.
    The working holiday visa is for people between 18-31 years of age :
    https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

If you are over 31 then it will be much more difficult to work in Australia.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    I think you really need to look into this a lot more to be honest.
    The working holiday visa is for people between 18-31 years of age :
    https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

If you are over 31 then it will be much more difficult to work in Australia.
    Thanks for the link and info I will prob have a proper read I'm between that age

Advertisement