Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about rent after being forced to leave

Options
  • 08-03-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi.

To quickly go through it. My girlfriend and I moved into together for the first time on Feb 7 to an apartment. When we moved in the property agent (This is who we deal with, the landlord has no dealings with us directly.) said there might be a problem with the flushing of the toilet. After a couple of days of moving in the toilet start over flowing, a plumber came and looked it and stop-ed the leak. He Said come back the next day to look at but in mean time not to use the toilet.
    We were both at work and the Property agent contact us saying it would be sorted for Monday (This was Friday). But it would meant no bathroom for the whole weekend. We got through it. To be told Monday that there had been a leak for years and major damage. It would take 10 days and wouldn't be able to stay in the building. The property agent was great. She said won't have to pay next month rent and the landlord would put us up in a near by hotel for the ten days.
    We came back Friday as we were told to, only to find out they weren't finished. No bathroom again. The lads fixed it Saturday so that we could use the toilet at least. Monday was our day off but we had to be out of the house for the day again as the lads were putting the shower in. We were told by Monday evening everything would be sorted. It wasn't. The place was a mess. Loads of construction waste all over the place. We went to bed and next morning (yesterday) my Girlfriend got up to have a shower. It didn't work and there no hot water in kitchen taps or bathroom.
    The property agent came over with the plumber. I told him about the waste (It was everywhere) and he looked at the shower. He said he need a pump and he would be back. I waited for him to return all day yesterday no sign of him.
    I contact the property agent first thing this morning, left a message. I went down to her office. She was at a viewing. The plumber didn't show today either. I can't contact him myself as it has to go through the property agent.
    She finally get back to me there now. Saying the plumber will be around this evening (I'm not holding my breath) with a new water pump. No idea if that a big job or not.
    I said the money was taken out of my account for this month even do we agreed this month would be free. She then said the landlord isn't accepting that now as she paid for the hotel. I replied by saying none of this was said to us. We were told this month free in lieu of not being here for Feb and the landlord said they would take care of the hotel. We would just went and live my girlfriend mother or friends otherwise.
    I'm just wondering do I have a leg to stand on? Were back here now but still no hot water or shower. The hotel was awful (I know this sounds like first world problems) but we had eat out all the time and all our stuff was in the flat. It put a damper on us moving in together for the first time and moving was stressful enough without all this.
    Do have a right to request a month rent free in lieu of us not being there? Despite paying for it in advance?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

How many nights did the LL pay in the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

10 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

10 days.

Then I would be claiming you are due the remainder of the months rent refunded in lieu of living in a kip. Keep pestering the agent.

My girlfriend is very anti doing anything and don't really know what to say. The hotel was 700 in total and our rent is 950. I would not have taken the hotel offer in lieu of the rent as don't think it was a fair trade. Do you think I should ask for 250? (That's the 950 minus the 700 for the hotel) or for half a month 425 as we weren't there for most of the month and when we were it was a kip. Thanks for your help. I'm very lost here. We been lied to by the agent and landlord seem to be flip floping on what they said.

I said the money was taken out of my account for this month even do we agreed this month would be free.

How was the money taken out of your account? Did you inform the bank to stop the standing order for the month?

• Advertisement

When we sign I gave my details to the agent to set up standing order. I trusted when she said it wont go through this month, but there you go what I get for trusting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When we sign I gave my details to the agent to set up standing order. I trusted when she said it wont go through this month, but there you go what I get for trusting her.

Standing order us where you give money each month. Direct debit is where the other party takes money each month. They have no control over a standing order.

That doesn't change the agreement you made with the agent -a month rent free. But it does explain why the money went out if you account.

Hold to the agreement as long as it's in writing. Let them haggle you down from there if they want to but don't you back away from the agreement or you'll get nothing more than the hotel stay.

Advertisement