Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

panic button SPC

Options
  • 08-03-2017 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Looking to add a panic button at the front door to my Siemens SPC 4220.   Can it be connected in some way with the door sensor/keypad or does it need it's own cable back to the panel? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

gkp1 wrote: »
    Looking to add a panic button at the front door to my Siemens SPC 4220.   Can it be connected in some way with the door sensor/keypad or does it need it's own cable back to the panel? Thanks.

Any spare cores in the front door cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gkp1

altor wrote: »

Any spare cores in the front door cable?
    I think there are but will have to check. When I replaced a sensor on the outer door before there were only two cores being used on it.

I think there are but will have to check. When I replaced a sensor on the outer door before there were only two cores being used on it.

If that is the case you may have the spare cores to add the panic.
    Do you have a panic zone set up on the system?
    If not you will need engineer access to set up a zone type for this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes it can be easily added . At minimum you will probably have a 4 core cable. You should be easily able to use that cable to add a PA.
    If you post up a pic of it opened we can advise you further.
    As stated engineer access would be handy if you have it.

KoolKid wrote: »

Yes it can be easily added . At minimum you will probably have a 4 core cable. You should be easily able to use that cable to add a PA.
    If you post up a pic of it opened we can advise you further.
    As stated engineer access would be handy if you have it.
    OK, so here is a photo, looks like spare cores there alright. I do have engineer access. Thanks.

• Advertisement

OK, so here is a photo, looks like spare cores there alright. I do have engineer access. Thanks.

All you have to do is identify the cable back at the panel.
    This will be straight forward as the red and black will be wired into the front door zone.

Using two of the spare cores in the front door cable extend the cable and wire in a panic button at desired location.
    Connect the same two cores back at the control panel to a spare zone and change the zone type to panic.

All you have to do is identify the cable back at the panel.
    This will be straight forward as the red and black will be wired into the front door zone.

Using two of the spare cores in the front door cable extend the cable and wire in a panic button at desired location.
    Connect the same two cores back at the control panel to a spare zone and change the zone type to panic.
    Unfortunately I checked the zones on the keypad last night and all 8 are used so looks like I may be out of luck.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can series 2 other zones together to free up a zone for your panic button.

Thanks for that option. I see that this panel can be expanded to 32 zones, any idea of the cost of the add-on for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could use the panic function on the keypad

• Advertisement

Jnealon wrote: »
    You could use the panic function on the keypad
    Thanks, yes, I did try that last night and it worked well. Just a bit more cumbersome than a physical button in an emergency but at least it's an option.

Check with the suppliers in the sticky re costs. We don't really get into that here. It would be an expensive option for one panic button.
    Can you tell us what way your zones are split up & see whats the best ones to join together.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Citroen2cv

There is a wireless panic button available for these, if you already have a wireless receiver in the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

can i ask what the point of a panic button is? (other than it sounds the alarm)?

daheff wrote: »
    can i ask what the point of a panic button is? (other than it sounds the alarm)?

By that logic whats the point of an alarm?
    If the system is monitored you are getting very quick Garda response & help.
    If not at least its drawing attention to an incident. That may be enough to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

KoolKid wrote: »
    By that logic whats the point of an alarm?
    If the system is monitored you are getting very quick Garda response & help.
    If not at least its drawing attention to an incident. That may be enough to help.

Ok -I understand the monitored part -didnt think of it till now. Thanks

But my understanding of a panic button was somebody broke in..you hit the button in the hope of help. Alarm in situ was a deterrent to stop somebody breaking in. If they've already broken in they don't care about the alarm!

Could be someone trying to force the front door when you open it. (Obviously the alarm would be off).
    Could be you notice someone prowling around your garden.
    Could be someone at your car.
    Could be a wireless panic button & you are attacked leaving or entering your home or car.
    Could be you are following into your home & someone forcing you to disarm the system.
    There are many uses & features for panic buttons/duress/all OK zones etc.
    Certainly a lot more to their application than hit & hope.

Unfortunately I checked the zones on the keypad last night and all 8 are used so looks like I may be out of luck.

Depending on the zone configuration you may be able to connect two zones together to free one up for the panic.

Depending on the zone configuration you may be able to connect two zones together to free one up for the panic.
    Finally got to check the zones. They are 
    Inner front door 
    Front door 
    Front windows

Back and shed doors
    Playroom
    Upstairs windows
    PIR hall
    PIR kitchen

I am guessing the two front doors could be combined into a single zone?  Or is there any good reason to have them separate?

Can't think of any reason not to put them on the one zone. Sounds like you have an easy fix.

• Advertisement

Finally got to check the zones. They are 
    Inner front door 
    Front door 
    Front windows

Back and shed doors
    Playroom
    Upstairs windows
    PIR hall
    PIR kitchen

I am guessing the two front doors could be combined into a single zone?  Or is there any good reason to have them separate?

Just depends on the way they are programmed.
    If the two are entry/exit zones then its the simplest option.
    The less you have on a zone the better but if you want to free up a zone then this is an option.

Advertisement