Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New nest products coming in 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Good to hear, but really just a lot of very slow catching up on things that other companies are already doing.

They say the digital doorbell and cheaper thermostat might not be out until next year! Why so slow?!

Cheaper Thermostat makes sense, Netatmo does pretty much the same as Nest for 1/3rd of the price! You really don't need the fancy, expensive physical hardware, you mostly use the app anyway.

It is a Nest whole home security system that excites me. It is the one area that is still very immature and could do with shaking up IMO. Just as long as it doesn't end up having a ridiculously expensive subscription like the dropcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bk wrote: »
    Good to hear, but really just a lot of very slow catching up on things that other companies are already doing.

They say the digital doorbell and cheaper thermostat might not be out until next year! Why so slow?!

Cheaper Thermostat makes sense, Netatmo does pretty much the same as Nest for 1/3rd of the price! You really don't need the fancy, expensive physical hardware, you mostly use the app anyway.

It is a Nest whole home security system that excites me. It is the one area that is still very immature and could do with shaking up IMO. Just as long as it doesn't end up having a ridiculously expensive subscription like the dropcam.

And android phones and tablets do things the Apple and high end products do. High prices are all about creating brands and demand

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    And android phones and tablets do things the Apple and high end products do. High prices are all about creating brands and demand

Ughhh.... no!

You can't just decide you are high end and charge high prices! You have to earn it and offer something that makes the higher price worth paying.

Nest does some things well, but it has had an extremely rocky past two years and lots of problems.

They absolutely need to be innovating faster and releasing new products faster.

And clearly Nest agrees or they wouldn't be releasing a cheaper thermostat. I'm just surprised it is going to take so long to release such straight forward products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

They seem to be really playing catch-up here.
    The doorbell just seems like a 'Me-Too!' device. Ring will be on the third or so iteration by the time Nest get their first one out the door. They would want to be coming out with some serious innovations to if they want to compete at the same level.
    In saying that Ring has no real mass-market competition (especially in NON-USA markets) so I'd say they see themselves cornering a large percentage of it based on their 'Nest' brand alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I have a ring on order, but I'm reading recently about the delays on motion sensing (you get to see people leave rather than arrive), so I'll see how it works out.

Nest's motion sensing is excellent though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement